U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 06:31 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
No, not even close. Singlish isn't really English, and it's not only about accent. Their grasp of English vocabulary and grammar is problematic.

Philippines had been occupied by the U.S for decades. They even learned a little bit American accent.

TOEFL score isn't a good indicator of the English proficiency in a particular region. If a Korean kid decides to take the test, the chances are he is prepared to apply for a U.S college or university.

Unlike other Asian countries, English speakers are not necessarily well educated in Philippines. It's not uncommon for an average Filipino to speak intelligible English.
Singlish is not English, but Singaporean English is. Singapore is pretty much an English speaking country as well, just like the Philippines. Lots, or probably even the majority, of the Singaporeans, speak way better English than Mandarin.

And quite frankly, when someone who's studied so hard only gets something like 80 or 6.5, it's not hard to imagine how poor the English proficiency of the rest of the country might be, so I'd say that the IELTS band score and TOEFL average grade are rather valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:55 PM

537 posts, read 323,789 times
In asia I always thought it was the filipinos....

Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,642,189 times
By no means are my experiences scientific, but I'd say Koreans are among the worst English speakers. Koreans seem to have the smallest desire to learn English and engulf themselves in an English speaking society. Chinese are the best in my experience followed by Japanese. Chinese seem to have the most desire to learn English and to assimilate into foreign English speaking cultures. But Chinese far outnumber Koreans and Japanese where I live. Koreans are the oldest Asian immigrant group in my area (except Vietnamese who aren't part of the discussion) and many still have incredibly bad English. Koreans seem to stay in their own ethnic groups the most and don't really want to assimilate. When I was in central China I was shocked how many young people spoke at least some English and the interest in learning or trying to learn English was very high.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:17 AM

276 posts, read 204,928 times
The only real explanation that I can sort of offer as to why the Japanese don't bother, at least in the past anyway, is that there was no need. They were practically the only country/culture in Asia, actually the world outside Europe who developed and whose scientific research was on par with the West. They probably learnt and developed enough scientific knowledge for them to be self sustainable that their population didn't need to learn English?

Others like the Koreans and Chinese who weren't so developed, by the time they started to open up to the outside world, most of the scientific knowledge was published in English.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:56 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,254,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
By no means are my experiences scientific, but I'd say Koreans are among the worst English speakers. Koreans seem to have the smallest desire to learn English and engulf themselves in an English speaking society. Chinese are the best in my experience followed by Japanese. Chinese seem to have the most desire to learn English and to assimilate into foreign English speaking cultures. But Chinese far outnumber Koreans and Japanese where I live. Koreans are the oldest Asian immigrant group in my area (except Vietnamese who aren't part of the discussion) and many still have incredibly bad English. Koreans seem to stay in their own ethnic groups the most and don't really want to assimilate. When I was in central China I was shocked how many young people spoke at least some English and the interest in learning or trying to learn English was very high.
You can't really compare experiences with natives in Asia and experiences with Immigrants and Americans. Korean Americans are notorious for rejecting the Asian American label and just identifying with each other.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:44 PM

6,586 posts, read 3,640,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Singlish is not English, but Singaporean English is. Singapore is pretty much an English speaking country as well, just like the Philippines. Lots, or probably even the majority, of the Singaporeans, speak way better English than Mandarin.

I don't know about Singapore but among Filipinos because of the multiple languages and ethnic rivalries and the other official language being "Filipino" which is actually Tagalog and that ethnic groups language English is more widely spread and is everyone's second language

Old 05-14-2016, 03:56 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,642,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
You can't really compare experiences with natives in Asia and experiences with Immigrants and Americans. Korean Americans are notorious for rejecting the Asian American label and just identifying with each other.
I figured it's a cultural thing, if they come here (US) and don't want to learn English, why would they stay in Korea and learn English. But I have never been to Korea, so I really can't say.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:01 PM

480 posts, read 191,523 times
very not. they can not speak english or any other language, except for those who want to learn english or another language. in asia the best speak engelish (other than singapore) is filipinos and Indian .hope you @willister try to get along with "koreans" i think You will know the truth about them

Old 09-20-2016, 01:00 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,580,780 times
On average, SO NOT! I went to school with Koreans (this is an international school with an English-language curriculum) and I notice that even though they're supposedly there to learn English, they tend to cluster together once the Korean population reaches a critical mass and almost never leave each other's company - the student population was roughly 30% Korean at the time I graduated about a decade ago. The Koreans who were there before the massive influx of their countrymen do a whole lot better with the English language AND in terms of interacting with people from different countries and cultures.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:32 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
The only real explanation that I can sort of offer as to why the Japanese don't bother, at least in the past anyway, is that there was no need. They were practically the only country/culture in Asia, actually the world outside Europe who developed and whose scientific research was on par with the West. They probably learnt and developed enough scientific knowledge for them to be self sustainable that their population didn't need to learn English?

Others like the Koreans and Chinese who weren't so developed, by the time they started to open up to the outside world, most of the scientific knowledge was published in English.
China was not well developed but it still had some of the top technology. For example, they have had nuclear weapons since the 1960s, and they are the third nation to send spaceships (independently).

In fact China is one of the few countries in the world where advanced math and science classes are all taught in local language only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or