U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 03:55 PM

276 posts, read 204,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I don't know about "most" yes most who work customer service with a closer to an American as opposed to an Anglo accent. The Philippines is however a place where many Koreans go to study English
I would have thought most of them who can afford it would have gone to the USA to study, those who really can't afford to would go to Singapore at the least?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 04:15 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,844,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
I would have thought most of them who can afford it would have gone to the USA to study, those who really can't afford to would go to Singapore at the least?
you really have something against filipinos/south/southeast asians, don't you? oh, only east asians can speak the best english in asia. if that were the case, most of the customer service jobs servicing north americans/australia should've gone to china/korea/japan. as it is, they're going to india and philippines instead. singapore maybe due to their british colonization history, but singapore may have more expensive business needs than india or philippines.

koreans may be well known at studying REALLY hard for english, and they can afford to hire or go to other countries for further learning, but they hardly ever apply it among themselves. hence, they're WAY inferior to the philippines/india with english communication.

i met a korean girl born in the philippines here in the US, and she speaks way better english than any of her fellowmen born and raised in her native country. that speaks to how she had learned english as second language while being raised in the philippines, comparable to how most filipinos grow up with it and learn it (school primarily/internet/print/tv/movies/etc). of course, the further you go into the rural areas, the less you encounter the fluent english speakers, but i can assure you, even the people in the rural areas speak/understand english better than the highly educated koreans/japanese/chinese, accent be damned.

english is also still the main medium of instruction for most of the country, especially anywhere south of luzon/manila. can the celebrated koreans/japanese/chinese say the same?

Last edited by zilam98; 10-02-2016 at 04:47 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoinwutimsupoz2bdoin View Post
are you craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazeeeeeeeeeee???

Koreans. Speak the best english?

Homie.

I live in cali.

Japanese and filipino and chinese who were born here longest ago... Sound exactly like an average english speaking cali person.

The koreans are the ones who make the blacks get our accents wrong lol.

It's all harshy. All throaty.

"everyone knows", but nobody will say anything. It's a harsh, breathy, sounding language. So as they speak english and we get this mixed .. The korean is like more, uh, well it's "hollywood friendly" because it sparks some sorta reaction, japanese is more kooky/cute aimed for the cat loving crowd...

I mean. Look, if you in a club full of 19 year old hotties, they may like korean. Why? Because korean girls will wear 2" skirts and 12" platforms and say **** a lot.

But if you ask a 28 year old college kid, they'll like the japanese version of enrish.

And if you ask a fully american born version, we sound the same: Normal enlish dude. Bro.

But ... I am a japaneese, but i am not biased. Honda is better than hyundai and my enrish is better than your korrrrean anyuuuseoo ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh long ass vowels.

And beside, all the black homies i know laugh as they say the same thing. But it's funny how 'shy' they are to admit the truth.

Opppa. But, damn i want some korean bbq right about now. Now that **** beats sukiyaki. Hands down.

korean bbq for the win!!!

Old 10-02-2016, 09:04 PM

276 posts, read 204,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
you really have something against filipinos/south/southeast asians, don't you? oh, only east asians can speak the best english in asia. if that were the case, most of the customer service jobs servicing north americans/australia should've gone to china/korea/japan. as it is, they're going to india and philippines instead. singapore maybe due to their british colonization history, but singapore may have more expensive business needs than india or philippines.

koreans may be well known at studying REALLY hard for english, and they can afford to hire or go to other countries for further learning, but they hardly ever apply it among themselves. hence, they're WAY inferior to the philippines/india with english communication.

i met a korean girl born in the philippines here in the US, and she speaks way better english than any of her fellowmen born and raised in her native country. that speaks to how she had learned english as second language while being raised in the philippines, comparable to how most filipinos grow up with it and learn it (school primarily/internet/print/tv/movies/etc). of course, the further you go into the rural areas, the less you encounter the fluent english speakers, but i can assure you, even the people in the rural areas speak/understand english better than the highly educated koreans/japanese/chinese, accent be damned.

english is also still the main medium of instruction for most of the country, especially anywhere south of luzon/manila. can the celebrated koreans/japanese/chinese say the same?
Cool it man, I don't have any beef against South/South East Asians...

The Japanese/Koreans/Chinese have never really placed importance of English until very recently due to perhaps stronger patriotism and arrogance because they deem learning a foreign man's language as weak. Places like the Phillipines which has for long been under US Control/Influence/Virtual Control has obviously converted to English, and before that, Spanish.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:08 PM

43,556 posts, read 52,658,619 times
Do Koreans speak the "best" Engrish?

Wow, dude.
Not cool.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
The Japanese/Koreans/Chinese have never really placed importance of English until very recently due to perhaps stronger patriotism and arrogance because they deem learning a foreign man's language as weak.
Excuse us poor Asians for not having rich enough parents to have moved to Australia or Canada at a very young age to learn perfect English, apparently our toxic patriotism and arrogance are to blame.

If you don't enjoy the sarcasm, please name a country outside of Europe that wasn't colonised by either England or America with decent English proficiency. I'm guessing that the only answer you could possibly have is none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoinWutImSupoz2Bdoin View Post
Opppa. But, damn I want some korean BBQ right about now. Now that **** beats sukiyaki. Hands down.
Sukiyaki >>>>>> Korean BBQ. Not that I hate the latter, but the former is just way better.

Last edited by Greysholic; 10-03-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 11:21 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,843,953 times
Quote:
Is it just me or do Koreans speak the most fluent English out of the Chinese, Koreans and Japanese? Well, the ones that can speak it anyway. I've heard Korean colleagues, air hostesses, uni friends etc. I noticed Chinese people who have studied English religiously and also who have done a stint overseas can't seem to get the same level of fluency as Koreans? Could it be perhaps that Chinese has tones?
I am amazed that your thread has received as many polite replies as it has. Do you think that a Korean wondering why Americans that speak Korean speak it so badly would get such evenhanded treatment? Foreign language ability is a function of individual aptitude and familiarity. China was not overrun with Christian Missionaries and the success of English language assimilation is confined mainly to the South of Korea. How well do you imagine North Koreans speak English?

Old 10-04-2016, 05:06 PM

1,940 posts, read 938,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
In which countries are advanced math and science taught in foreign languages?
In India most universities teach higher math and science in English.
Many federal education schools (K5-12th grade ) have the medium of instruction in English, and Hindi is the 2nd language to learn but not necessary to pass, at the end of 12th grade.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:09 PM

1,940 posts, read 938,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

A French/Italian accent is usually considered "sexy", while Asian accents are simply "wrong".
On the whole I agree with it but you have to agree that a French lady speaking English with a French accent does sound very sexy, even if you cannot understand half the words. . We know one such person.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:27 PM

well the thing is, the english language developed from those romanic languages (french/italian/spanish/german, basically latin), hence when a french/italian/german try to speak english, they sound "sexy" instead of "wrong". on the other hand, the asian languages are not euro-based, hence them sounding "wrong" when the asians try to speak english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or