Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:29 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip next summer to Singapore. We plan to spend about a week in Singapore with maybe a quick trip up to Kuala Lumpur.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be best to just fly non stop from NYC or do a stopover and break the trip up. The only nonstops to Singapore from the US are from NYC and LA/SF. Since we live in the DC area, we could take a train up to Newark airport.

But 19 hours for a single flight is a long flight. The longest I have flown was from Baltimore to London and from San Diego to Honolulu. This would be over twice as long as those flights!

What do you think? Would it be better to just get the flight over with or stopover?

I'm thinking we could stopover in Frankfurt or something but would like to hear from others that have made similar trips.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 08:54 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm planning a trip next summer to Singapore. We plan to spend about a week in Singapore with maybe a quick trip up to Kuala Lumpur.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be best to just fly non stop from NYC or do a stopover and break the trip up. The only nonstops to Singapore from the US are from NYC and LA/SF. Since we live in the DC area, we could take a train up to Newark airport.

But 19 hours for a single flight is a long flight. The longest I have flown was from Baltimore to London and from San Diego to Honolulu. This would be over twice as long as those flights!

What do you think? Would it be better to just get the flight over with or stopover?

I'm thinking we could stopover in Frankfurt or something but would like to hear from others that have made similar trips.

Thanks!
I do similar routes like that all the time - Detroit to Hong Kong. Usually I just suffer through the layovers, but last year I had a flight delay where I had stay in Chicago overnight. That was actually quite nice.

From DC to Singapore, you should have many flights with layovers in either Tokyo or Seoul. Either one of them would be a great place to walk around for a day or two on a layover.

That being said, a non-stop from Newark to Singapore is pretty amazing. I didn't realize they'd have a flight quite so far. If you don't mind the cost involved, do that.

I just looked it up, only 18 1/2 hours. That's really good. From Detroit to Hong Kong, I'm often looking at 20-30 hours with the layovers included.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:

Thanks!
OP, may I ask why you didn't consider flying out of IAD instead? Unless your heart is set to fly Singapore Airlines for this route, IAD seems like a much more logical option for your area (I live in the same area as you and would never consider flying out of NYC, seems like a pain in the butt to take a train from DC, then another train to EWR).

You can fly from IAD to London (~ 7 hours non-stop), take a break in London, and continue onto SIN (~ 12 hrs from London). We did it once and purposely took a couple of days' break in London for sightseeing, before continuing to SIN.

Or you can fly from IAD to Japan, or Dubai, or one of the European countries (most likely Frankfurt if you're flying UNITED).

If you want better airlines, Emirates and Qatar both fly out of IAD with stopover in Dubai (for Emirates) and Doha (for Qatar). Their food and service are definitely better than any of US carriers. What I like about stopping over, you can take a hot shower at the airport to refresh yourself before your next flight.

Edited to add: A stopover would only be worth it if you have at least 2 hours on the ground. Anything less than that is just going to add stress because you'll be rushing from one gate or terminal to another.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I do similar routes like that all the time - Detroit to Hong Kong. Usually I just suffer through the layovers, but last year I had a flight delay where I had stay in Chicago overnight. That was actually quite nice.

From DC to Singapore, you should have many flights with layovers in either Tokyo or Seoul. Either one of them would be a great place to walk around for a day or two on a layover.

That being said, a non-stop from Newark to Singapore is pretty amazing. I didn't realize they'd have a flight quite so far. If you don't mind the cost involved, do that.

I just looked it up, only 18 1/2 hours. That's really good. From Detroit to Hong Kong, I'm often looking at 20-30 hours with the layovers included.
Yeah, Singapore airlines relaunched the Newark to Singapore after taking delivery of their new long haul planes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...hop/865921002/

There is no coach, only prem economy and biz, so they look quite comfortable and the prices don't seem too bad.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
OP, may I ask why you didn't consider flying out of IAD instead? Unless your heart is set to fly Singapore Airlines for this route, IAD seems like a much more logical option for your area (I live in the same area as you and would never consider flying out of NYC, seems like a pain in the butt to take a train from DC, then another train to EWR).

You can fly from IAD to London (~ 7 hours non-stop), take a break in London, and continue onto SIN (~ 12 hrs from London). We did it once and purposely took a couple of days' break in London for sightseeing, before continuing to SIN.

Or you can fly from IAD to Japan, or Dubai, or one of the European countries (most likely Frankfurt if you're flying UNITED).

If you want better airlines, Emirates and Qatar both fly out of IAD with stopover in Dubai (for Emirates) and Doha (for Qatar). Their food and service are definitely better than any of US carriers. What I like about stopping over, you can take a hot shower at the airport to refresh yourself before your next flight.

Edited to add: A stopover would only be worth it if you have at least 2 hours on the ground. Anything less than that is just going to add stress because you'll be rushing from one gate or terminal to another.
I would fly out of BWI or IAD if I were not flying non stop. I would prefer BWI since IAD is much further, but they have more international flights.

Chances are we will not fly non stop simply because the flight is just too long. That's why I'm looking for stopover ideas and yes, we would stop for at least a day.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:41 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Sorry, I'm not much help, but my wife used to live in Singapore and its a beautiful city. Hope you have a great time. We fly from KC to China frequently and we always have a hard time finding decent layovers, but S Korea is a good one. My dad did a round the world trip 2 years ago and he mentioned Frankfort as one of his favorite layovers.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
There is no coach, only prem economy and biz, so they look quite comfortable and the prices don't seem too bad.
Economy and coach are the same thing.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I wish there was a direct flight from Vancouver I guess it's just too far and not enough demand. It's odd because Vancouver has direct flights to all over China, Japan and Korea but not Singapore.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
I would fly out of BWI or IAD if I were not flying non stop. I would prefer BWI since IAD is much further, but they have more international flights.

Chances are we will not fly non stop simply because the flight is just too long. That's why I'm looking for stopover ideas and yes, we would stop for at least a day.
Yeah, IAD is the main international hub for our area so you won't find many long distance flights from BWI.

In that case, I highly recommend you stop in Europe because it's only ~7 hours from IAD, and from there it's only ~12 hours to SIN. That seems to be the best route because it's not too long a flight on either leg. You will also 'gently' let your body prepare for jetlag since you stagger the distance, especially if you're going to stop for at least a day.

When we flew the IAD - London - SIN route, and stopped in London for a couple of days, we went out and about every day in London and arrived in SIN much better prepared for the jetlag.

Then last year, we did the IAD - Frankfurt - SIN, without stopping in Frankfurt other than to catch the connecting flight to SIN. We arrived in SIN like a pair of zombies and suffered jetlag for almost a week (woke up late in the day, couldn't sleep at night until at least 3am SIN time), horrible!! I think it's also because we're getting older so our bodies can no longer adjust to jetlag as fast as we used to. Next time we fly to Southeast Asia, we will make sure to stop for a couple of days in Europe before continuing on our journey. We definitely learned our lesson.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:

If you fly via London or Dubai you get to fly on an A380.

London British Airways and Singapore Airlines (2nd half on A380) fly out of BWI
8:40pm to 8:35am 6h 55m Baltimore Washington Intl. Thurgood Marshall (BWI) to Heathrow (LHR) British Airways
10:55am to 7:50am 12h 55m Heathrow (LHR) to Changi (SIN) Singapore Airlines 317 A380-800

Dubai on an A380 for first half : fly out of IAH
10:25am to 8:10am 12h 45m Washington Dulles Intl. (IAD) to Dubai Intl. (DXB) Emirates 232 Airbus Industrie A380-800
9:20am to 8:55pm 7h 35m Dubai to Singapore Dubai Intl. (DXB) to Changi (SIN) Emirates 352 BOEING 777-300ER

Hong Kong is amazing, but HKG to SIN is only 4 hours.
Other choices include HKG , NRT, ICN, AUH (Abu Dhabi)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia