Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
London 34 44.16%
Tokyo 43 55.84%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,030,552 times

Advertisements

Which city do you prefer to live in or visit? Which do you think has better:

- Architecture
- Weather
- Culture
- Tourist sites
- Nightlife
- Public Transit

Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM

174 posts, read 639,958 times
I'd like to live and visit to both of them. But a big part of me wants to live in the outskirts rather than in the city itself, especially Tokyo where real estate or housing is a btch.

For visiting, I'd be much more interested visiting Tokyo over and over again. I've been in Tokyo twice. And in my 2 visits, I experience different things from another.

Overall; architecture, transport, culture, etc. Tokyo has more edge to me. It has managed to keep it's traditional culture and perfectly blended it with their modern pop culture. The transportation is very impressive too. I can travel to Kyushu and Hokkaido very easily by train.
Nightlife may not be the best, but it has some of the greatest restaurants and other amusements like parks, specialty stores and a pet place. Being the geek that I am, their toy stores are heaven to me. And I like the fact that there's always an event somewhere in Tokyo.
Weather is beautiful, but summers are brutal. I'm used to very hot climate anyway, coming from tropical Malaysia.

London is great, but it could turn dull easily. Their royal palace look great, old archictures look beautiful, cafes seem wonderful. Their nightlife seems one of the best. I just can't think of any other things to do or see in London.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Definitely London. Nowhere in Japan appeals to me at all, I just prefer European architecture, I prefer the weather in London. Tokyo lacks historical architecture, it's too crowded, too busy, and the summers are too muggy. It's too polycentric, there's no defined centre. I think people who think London could easily get 'dull' have not properly experienced it, probably because they're not interested. I may be slightly biased, but there's nothing in Japan that I particularly like, or Asia at all for that matter, Europe is just vastly superior in my opinion, whether you want a buzzing metropolis like Paris or quaint coastal towns in Croatia.

However, I've gathered London isn't very popular on here for whatever reason, so I'm not at all surprised Tokyo is leading.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
You can't think of anything else to see or do in LONDON?!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
You can't think of anything else to see or do in LONDON?!
Yup, it's too one sided. Architectures which I'm not really fond of, and I get bored with history easily. I could just get drunk in London, ride the London Eye and throw up when I'm on the top.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,484,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Definitely London. Nowhere in Japan appeals to me at all, I just prefer European architecture, I prefer the weather in London. Tokyo lacks historical architecture, it's too crowded, too busy, and the summers are too muggy. It's too polycentric, there's no defined centre. I think people who think London could easily get 'dull' have not properly experienced it, probably because they're not interested. I may be slightly biased, but there's nothing in Japan that I particularly like, or Asia at all for that matter, Europe is just vastly superior in my opinion, whether you want a buzzing metropolis like Paris or quaint coastal towns in Croatia.

However, I've gathered London isn't very popular on here for whatever reason, so I'm not at all surprised Tokyo is leading.

huh? Japan is a modern city. There are many new buildings and such. It's not like Paris or some other cities. Unless, of course, by "European" you are referring to those old buildings.

http://watermarked.cutcaster.com/cut...-buildings.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ixDJEFEM7U...-wandering.jpg

This?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Yup, it's too one sided. Architectures which I'm not really fond of, and I get bored with history easily. I could just get drunk in London, ride the London Eye and throw up when I'm on the top.
Well that just shows how little you know about London then does it! There are Roman ruins in London, there is a world class music scene and gigs, concerts etc, the West End, great nightlife, world class museums, Madame Tussauds, great history, great architecture something for everyone and every taste. It has more to see and do than most Londoners will see and do in their lifetime.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Both cities are must sees as far as world cities go. I think anyone who can should visit the 'big 4': New York, London, Paris and Tokyo.

They're just as different as world cities can get. When I think London, I think of the past. It's a big city alright, but it still has an English charm to it. It is one of the contenders for being 'capital of the world.'

Tokyo has the greatest metropolitan population in the world. It is a mega-city to rival New York, and still has a buzzing high-tech feeling even as other cities are catching up. What attracts me about Tokyo is that it's just like stepping into a pinball machine or something: bright lights, lots of noise and activity.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,911,320 times
Architecture: London wins by a bit. However, Tokyo still has some great architecture.

Weather: Tokyo.

Culture: Overall a tie. Both cities have great culture.

Tourist sites: Tie.

Nightlife: Tie.

Public transportation: Tie. Both cities have equally great tourist sites, nightlife, and public transportation.

Which city do you prefer to visit? I enjoy the idea of visiting both cities equally.

Which city do you prefer to live in? Both cities are great places to live in. It is very close to being a tie, but I prefer London a little bit more.

Last edited by ; 03-16-2012 at 10:15 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Well that just shows how little you know about London then does it! There are Roman ruins in London, there is a world class music scene and gigs, concerts etc, the West End, great nightlife, world class museums, Madame Tussauds, great history, great architecture something for everyone and every taste. It has more to see and do than most Londoners will see and do in their lifetime.
I don't really visit museums, unless it's a MUST SEE one but generally I'll just skip those. There's only some parts of history I am really interested at. And some past figures or musuems or stuffs I wanna see. Like Beethoven's quarters in Vienna. Or the ruins in Greece. Castles in Albania. etc.

You are super right about London's great music scene tho. Many of my indie rock artists (active or not) are British. And I am very interested in attending London music gigs or concerts. Be in the crowd and enjoy the music.

So like I said, I'll just hangout, watch a football game, go to gigs, smoke a pot, get drunk, throw up, pass out and wake up. I'll enjoy London more that way, than see wax figures in Madame Tussauds.

xo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia