U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 04:25 AM

25 posts, read 52,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
People with no money (and many others) have no business making babies. They seem to understand that in BKK. 30,000 people die per year of malnutrition in the Philippines. Filipinos are not genetically short; it is stunting from malnutrition. I live in Chiang Mai, but I enjoy my trips to BKK. The femi-nazis always love to paint it as a one big red light district, but the reality is those places are needles in haystacks. I spend a lot of time looking at real estate, and that takes me to places the tourists don't even know exist. The true Bangkokians are quite friendly, honest, and gracious hosts...and that includes sitting on plastic stools drinking beers with people you've never met. 18 million people in BKK Metro....but the atmosphere is opposite of the cold, big city feeling you get in NYC.
None of this has anything to do with the topic. I dont care if you hate Filipinos. We're talking about how the cities look. They generally look the same, like this in most of each city
Typical Manila
Typical Bangkok

But is there anywhere in Bangkok that looks like these central business districts in Manila? I havent seen any Google street view of Bangkok that looks like any of this
BGC
Makati
Ortigas

I'm looking for a ground level view, not a skyline picture. Manila's nice areas look nicer than Bangkok's nice areas. Manila has nice, compact central business districts. But Manila's poor areas look worse than Bangkok's. Both cities mostly look the same though (see the first two links ^)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 05:42 AM

2,018 posts, read 1,202,377 times
Where did I say I hated them? I do avoid them, but it's called choice; not hate.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Bangkok considered a much more attractive city than Manila?-phrompong.jpg  

Last edited by Hal Roach; 08-03-2016 at 05:53 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 11:45 AM

22,179 posts, read 23,705,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamiard220 View Post
None of this has anything to do with the topic. I dont care if you hate Filipinos. We're talking about how the cities look. They generally look the same, like this in most of each city
Typical Manila
Typical Bangkok

But is there anywhere in Bangkok that looks like these central business districts in Manila? I havent seen any Google street view of Bangkok that looks like any of this
BGC
Makati
Ortigas

I'm looking for a ground level view, not a skyline picture. Manila's nice areas look nicer than Bangkok's nice areas. Manila has nice, compact central business districts. But Manila's poor areas look worse than Bangkok's. Both cities mostly look the same though (see the first two links ^)
The topic is highly misleading though--no one really argues that Bangkok is architecturally better than Manila or that it's a more aesthetically beautiful city. Certainly no one cites architecture or aesthetics of Bangkok versus Manila as a primary reason for going to one rather than the other. Bangkok being a much more attractive city to visitors than Manila has pretty much nothing to do with the aesthetics of the slums or the CBDs so I don't think anyone really understands where you're coming from in this topic.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:27 PM

25 posts, read 52,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Where did I say I hated them? I do avoid them, but it's called choice; not hate.
that's a skyline pic. I asked for a Google street view link that looks anything like these:

BGC
Makati
Ortigas

if Bangkok is supposedly nicer, than plenty of areas should look like that or better. Shouldnt be hard to find a Google street view of it

Old 08-04-2016, 08:27 AM

6,596 posts, read 3,648,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The topic is highly misleading though--no one really argues that Bangkok is architecturally better than Manila or that it's a more aesthetically beautiful city. Certainly no one cites architecture or aesthetics of Bangkok versus Manila as a primary reason for going to one rather than the other. Bangkok being a much more attractive city to visitors than Manila has pretty much nothing to do with the aesthetics of the slums or the CBDs so I don't think anyone really understands where you're coming from in this topic.
We can only take the OP at his word and looking at modern buildings is what he likes to do. People do tend to take the prejudice that their thing is not unique to themselves

Old 08-07-2016, 10:37 PM

162 posts, read 195,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tourist Arrivals 2015:

Thailand = 29.9 million
Philippines = 5.4 million

Bangkok is the only city in Thailand with daily flights outside Southeast/East Asia.
If you strip that 5.4 million of the ones from S. Korea, Japan etc that are just coming for cheap studies or are filipino american, then that number gets even much lower than that.

There is a scant number of real tourists entering because there is literally nothing good there.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
If you strip that 5.4 million of the ones from S. Korea, Japan etc that are just coming for cheap studies or are filipino american, then that number gets even much lower than that.

There is a scant number of real tourists entering because there is literally nothing good there.
Actually, Philippines islands are absolutely fantastic.

The bigger issue is the lack of intrastructure and the immense corruption, to get to the places. Palawan is fantastic, but getting to El NIdo, for example, is not easy.

Thailand just has amazing ways of shuffling the tourists around everywhere, it because it does it so well, tons more people go there for touristic reasons.

The biggest mystery to me is, WHY doesn't the Philippines do that? In Thailand, they are just private individuals doing everything, opening up affordable hostels and hotels, people organizing buses or minivans to whisk tourists from door to door...other individuals opening up tourist trips in nearly every island and city throughout Thailand.

Meanwhile in the Philippines, few hostels, most hotels are way pricier than Thailand. Manila is absolutely daunting for any tourist to navigate, as the criminals that target foreigners run wild, stressing out any possible tourists that come, etc.

Anyways, I'm a big fan of the Philippines, and I just wanted to say there is A LOT to see and do in the Philippines...it is an absolutely fantastic country. It is just that Thailand also has a lot too, and the tourist-friendly structure of Thailand, makes it a dream to travel around, unlike the Philippines.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:24 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,083,536 times
most tourists go for the culture, the food which Thailand offers

the Philippines, being western light, more like latin America, naturally cant attract the tourist seeking unique Asian experience. if they want to experience the Philippines, those from America can just go to Costa Rica and will experience the same thing

tourists don't want to see business districts. every capital looks the same with those glass building whether in NY, LA, Makati or HK

but I will always prefer the Philippines, just skip Manila and go to the country side

Old 08-11-2016, 10:57 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,181,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamiard220 View Post
I agree that Manila has more crime and poverty, but it's not aesthetically uglier than Bangkok. They're about the same, with some areas of Manila being more attractive because Manila's business districts (aka the "nice areas") are zoned much better than those in Bangkok.
Tourists don't consider "business districts" like Makati as attractive. Not being a slum (being neat and tidy) is not the same as being attractive. They are generally indifferent to such places as business districts are generic and boring - they could be anywhere.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:04 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,181,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
most tourists go for the culture, the food which Thailand offers

the Philippines, being western light, more like latin America, naturally cant attract the tourist seeking unique Asian experience. if they want to experience the Philippines, those from America can just go to Costa Rica and will experience the same thing

tourists don't want to see business districts. every capital looks the same with those glass building whether in NY, LA, Makati or HK

but I will always prefer the Philippines, just skip Manila and go to the country side

Hardly! Costa Rica is very protective of its environment and its ecotourism. Many of its hotels are gren, it has more national park coverage as a percentage than virtually any other country in the world. Plus the sewage systems are in place, the wildlife is protected instead of just being a target, and the population has generally been educated about the natural environment.

The Philippines has some spectacular areas of natural beauty - some of the best in the world, but they only still exist by accident (they just haven't been chopped down or built over yet). Deforestation, pollution of the rivers, litter and nighttime burning of trash in the Philippines - its gross and is not attractive to tourists at all. I've been to both countries multiple times. Costa Rica will win on most Tourist checkbox list - except for food where the Philippines definitely wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or