U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:08 AM

352 posts, read 551,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
most tourists go for the culture, the food which Thailand offers

the Philippines, being western light, more like latin America, naturally cant attract the tourist seeking unique Asian experience. if they want to experience the Philippines, those from America can just go to Costa Rica and will experience the same thing

tourists don't want to see business districts. every capital looks the same with those glass building whether in NY, LA, Makati or HK

but I will always prefer the Philippines, just skip Manila and go to the country side
I doubt that I would experience the Philippines in Costa Rica.

That's almost like saying just go to Miami or the Rio Grande Valley. Or just stay home and go to the Latino neighborhood. Why go abroad? There are Chinatowns and Little Manila in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 11:17 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,080,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
I doubt that I would experience the Philippines in Costa Rica.

That's almost like saying just go to Miami or the Rio Grande Valley. Or just stay home and go to the Latino neighborhood. Why go abroad? There are Chinatowns and Little Manila in the USA.
what do you see in Costa Rica? rain forest? beach? old churches? nothing much of culture..same thing with the Philippines..maybe even better because it has volcanoes and rice terraces but just disorganized

Old 08-16-2016, 12:39 AM

19 posts, read 21,576 times
I've lives in both. Bangkok is no-brainer.

Cleaner, less smokers, less pollution, less crime, more livable in terms of housing, commute, transportation, numerous greenspace and parks, etc. Can't think of one spect I prefer mnl over bkk - except one can sty on tourist visa longer far easier.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:14 PM

26 posts, read 19,710 times
Even architecturally Bangkok stands out with all of its glorious temples, monastery and palaces. The Philippines have a few nice spots for architecture like Vigan for Spanish architecture or Baguio for American ones, but in Thailand the architecture stands out all over the country. Philippines also lacked ancient civilizations, while Thailand have many Ayutthaya and Khmer period ruined/still functioning temples. The Spanish colonial churches in Philippines is also substandard compared to the one you typically see in former Spanish colonies in Latin America, i mean even San Augustin Church in Manila is nothing compared to Mexico City or Cusco Cathedrals/churches.

Bangkok stands out because not only that it consist of more interesting exotic culture you expect to see in Asia, its also more developed and more friendly to tourist than Manila. Its a thousand times cleaner, have better public transportations, parks, housing, education, healthcare and basic quality of life.

The Philippines' islands and its beaches can be drop dead gorgeous but its cities are just meh... not worth travelling.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:29 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,344,497 times
I'm going to mention something but I hope no one takes it the wrong way. I am mentioning it as a historical fact, not trying to denigrate anyone. Thailand is a country that was never colonized by the west. The Thais will never let you forget that. The Brits were in India, Myanmar (Burma), Singapore, Hong Kong, and Malaysia, the French were in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, the Dutch were in Indonesia, the Spanish were in Macao and the Philippines (and then came the Americans). The proud Siamese kept their independence. What does have to do with the attractiveness or lack of attractiveness of Bangkok? Very little really. It only gives us a clue into Thai character. I see the Thais as a proud and fiercely independent people who were politically savvy enough to play one European power against the other. They held onto their wealth and resisted being exploited by outsiders to a degree. Let's be clear: the Brits and the French would have loved to make Siam a part of their empires, so it's not a case of no one wanting to annex Siam.

Colonialism, generally speaking, is not a good thing. Even after independence, nations that were formally colonies have been handicapped by that experience.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:32 AM

5 posts, read 9,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamiard220 View Post
that's a skyline pic. I asked for a Google street view link that looks anything like these:

BGC
Makati
Ortigas

if Bangkok is supposedly nicer, than plenty of areas should look like that or better. Shouldnt be hard to find a Google street view of it
It is true that Bangkok is lacking of nice looking business districts like Makati in Manila.

If we are to rate these nice areas like the hotel stars, places like Makati is definitely 5 stars, and yeah..you have a few of these 5 stars districts in your city while the rest is probably only 2 stars.

Now let's take a look at Bangkok, we probably have NONE that can be rated as 5 stars. However, everywhere is 3 stars, with some area that can be rated as 4 stars. Don't you think it's better this way?

Last edited by Berdnerd; 09-15-2016 at 01:20 AM..

Old 12-12-2016, 12:34 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
^ those malls are nicer than anything in Manila, but at least Manila has some non-traditional malls like Greenbelt, which is largely outdoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht2ulMQ8uhA
Looks more like a park than a mall, with lots of outdoor cafes and shops having access from the outside

Bonifacio High Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujz_ixhbzmc
all the restaurants and shops are accessed from the outside

Eastwood Mall is outdoors too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46LfuT33gCM

And so are several other malls. So for people who complain that Manila is all malls, well, at least they're trying to build non-traditional malls that integrate into the surrounding environment. A lot of these feels more like parks or shopping districts rather than malls.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,445,827 times
I'm a fan of Bangkok and think it's a most excellent city. Manila is to still trying to get there...Bonifacio from what I've see online is changing my perception and I suspect others as well. I was impressed with Makati when I was there a few years back but didn't make it to The Fort....hope to get there some day.

The current thought is that BKK may have peaked at least as an expat haven and Manila/Makati/The Fort is increasingly more desirable.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:47 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,159,161 times
The current thought is that BKK may have peaked at least as an expat haven and Manila/Makati/The Fort is increasingly more desirable. How is the food scene there ? I've heard it's still light-years behind Bangkok ?
[RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]

Old 12-14-2016, 09:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,445,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The current thought is that BKK may have peaked at least as an expat haven and Manila/Makati/The Fort is increasingly more desirable. How is the food scene there ? I've heard it's still light-years behind Bangkok ?
[RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]
I've seen some of the restaurants in Fort Bonifacio and many look excellent but I doubt it can come close to matching Bangkok though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or