Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 04:56 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Monkey View Post
True. But it's still dirty, polluted, and overpopulated (not to mention bland), especially in comparison with other Philippine cities. And while the slums don't really encompass all of Manila, they still constitute a very large part of it. And the poverty there is in truly horrific proportions where people EAT GARBAGE. I'm from Mindanao, and we're not exactly that wealthy here (we have slums too), but even I look at the Manila slums with pity
All of the major cities in the Philippines have slums. Cebu definitely does, and they're just as bad as those in Manila. Metro Manila just has more slums because it's by far the biggest city. Baguio is a complete mess, which is a shame because it has such a beautiful natural setting. All of the cities in the Philippines are bland and uninteresting, and they pretty much all look the same because they're not built with character. So I definitely wouldnt visit the Philippines for its cities. But Manila is the only city in the Philippines that actually has large swaths that can be mistaken for a developed country. No other cities in the Philippines have areas that are like Makati or Fort Bonifacio. Not many cities in Southeast Asia have areas like that, besides Singapore and Kuala Lumpur

Old 02-11-2017, 02:09 PM

412 posts, read 509,330 times
Manila is overpriced. If it weren't, it would be quite nice. I used to live there for 2 years (in Forbes Park). When you're in the right area, you have a very decent life. Venture into Manila City however, and things change pretty quickly.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:59 AM

51 posts, read 53,383 times
Bangkok has more history and traditional cultures than Manila. It is a capital of an independent country for a long time with a palace. Similar to London, Beijing, Seoul or Tokyo. The Phillippines was for a long time not an independent country with a well established dynasty or government.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
When it comes to cuisine I will express the opinion that Thai food is more popular around the world than Filipino food. I don't see Filipino restaurants that often in cities and towns in Europe, the Middle East, North America or South America.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:17 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamiard220 View Post
That's because Malate is labeled as the "tourist belt" of Manila, even though it's a pretty run-down area. If I were a tourist and believed that Malate was the most tourist-friendly, nicest part of Manila, I'd stay away from Manila too.
Metro Manila itself has 16 cities and 1 municipality. The City of Manila (where Malate is) is one of those 16 cities within Metro Manila. Sad to say, Manila proper is overall a pretty rundown place, sad to say! A lot of the tourists would prefer to stay around in an area like Makati (where the biggest Central Business District is), than in Manila proper.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:57 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Bangkok is a more engaging city overall. Pound for pound it's the city that probably provides the best blend of modern and traditional culture in Southeast Asia.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:48 AM

397 posts, read 319,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
People with no money (and many others) have no business making babies. They seem to understand that in BKK. 30,000 people die per year of malnutrition in the Philippines. Filipinos are not genetically short; it is stunting from malnutrition. I live in Chiang Mai, but I enjoy my trips to BKK. The femi-nazis always love to paint it as a one big red light district, but the reality is those places are needles in haystacks. I spend a lot of time looking at real estate, and that takes me to places the tourists don't even know exist. The true Bangkokians are quite friendly, honest, and gracious hosts...and that includes sitting on plastic stools drinking beers with people you've never met. 18 million people in BKK Metro....but the atmosphere is opposite of the cold, big city feeling you get in NYC.
I honestly believe that the Mongoloid race is genetically predisposed to being shorter than the Caucasoid or Negroid race on average. Look at the United states, where Asians are well off and not malnourished at all, but they're still several inches shorter on average than blacks and whites. It's true that malnutrition does stunt growth. For instance, Koreans from both North Korea and South Korea have essentially the same genetics, but South Koreans, who live in a capitalist democracy, are considerably taller than North Koreans, who live in a communist dictatorship. But South Koreans, despite having access to the same level of nutrition as white and black people who live in the West, are still several inches shorter on average.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 PM

732 posts, read 779,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Bangkok is a more engaging city overall. Pound for pound it's the city that probably provides the best blend of modern and traditional culture in Southeast Asia.
Depends on how you define "engaging". But I agree Bangkok has better representation of a traditional Southeast Asia culture because Philippines and/or Manila is more Hispanic and westernized. Modernity though is each owns cup of tea.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:43 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Depends on how you define "engaging". But I agree Bangkok has better representation of a traditional Southeast Asia culture because Philippines and/or Manila is more Hispanic and westernized. Modernity though is each owns cup of tea.
Bangkok is also quite modern, but what sells it is the representation of traditional elements, from the historic sites like the Grand Palace to the river taxis along the canals.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Bangkok is also quite modern, but what sells it is the representation of traditional elements, from the historic sites like the Grand Palace to the river taxis along the canals.
I agree. In addition to what you mentioned is the architectural roof designs and gleaming view of Bangkok's numerous wats (temples), canal markets, night bazaars, etc. It seems like no matter where you look, there's bound to be dazzling, jaw-dropping sights. As frequently as I've been to Thailand over nearly 25 or so years, I still get a thrill. I've never found Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand to be dull and boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia