U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:41 PM

25 posts, read 52,001 times

Advertisements

I get that Bangkok has a much better transit system and less poverty, but aesthetically speaking, both cities generally look the same. Both cities are mostly filled with unattractive buildings with electric wires all over the place.

And while Manila has more slums, I would also argue that there are parts of Manila that are more attractive than anywhere in Bangkok. Bangkok doesn't have compact business districts like Makati or Fort Bonifacio, or even Ortigas (click each for Google street view). If there are places like that in Bangkok, let me know, because I haven't seen them. Bangkok seems to have more haphazard zoning, with a skyscraper next to a tiny home. Manila has planned business districts. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Manila had to be almost completely rebuilt after WW2, whereas Bangkok has been continually existing and has grown more organically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 01:17 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
MOSTLY because Manila is a very stressful city to visit. I agree that Manila has its beauty, but it isn't as easy to just walk around and explore as Bangkok.

The taxi drivers and corruption starts at the Manila airport. Taxis, that look VERY LEGIT, who try to rip tourists off upon arrival, many of them given free reign from the airport itself. The constant taxi drivers who insist on no meters or obscene fees, etc. That kind of stuff. It gets stressful very quickly. The other problem of walking around on foot, and you get other types approaching foreigners with con games, etc. Mothers who strip their kids naked, and make their kids target foreigners walking by, as they themselves gamble away the kid's money collecting.

Bangkok has it too, but it feels very minor compared to Manila. You also have taxi drivers in Manila who have setup kidnapping and robberies of foreigners they pick up at the airport as well.

In short, if Manila can ever get a hold of its city population's mindsets - particularly the street vermin types and taxi drivers, then yeah, the city would have a lot to offer.

I'm a big fan of the Philippines, but the stresses of visiting and spending time in Manila gets to tourists/foreigners. It is unfortunate, as that city is what tourists usually see FIRST and LAST in the Philippines, which is probably a double-edge sword, as the millions of tourists that visit Thailand every year, seem to just be a fraction of who visit the Philippines. Too many foreigners prefer a little safety and peace when on vacation, and Manila doesn't offer either one of those two things.

But, yeah, if Manila was 'cleaned up of the people significantly' the barebones structure of Manila is fantastic!

Old 04-23-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
MOSTLY because Manila is a very stressful city to visit. I agree that Manila has its beauty, but it isn't as easy to just walk around and explore as Bangkok.

The taxi drivers and corruption starts at the Manila airport. Taxis, that look VERY LEGIT, who try to rip tourists off upon arrival, many of them given free reign from the airport itself. The constant taxi drivers who insist on no meters or obscene fees, etc. That kind of stuff. It gets stressful very quickly. The other problem of walking around on foot, and you get other types approaching foreigners with con games, etc. Mothers who strip their kids naked, and make their kids target foreigners walking by, as they themselves gamble away the kid's money collecting.

Bangkok has it too, but it feels very minor compared to Manila. You also have taxi drivers in Manila who have setup kidnapping and robberies of foreigners they pick up at the airport as well.

In short, if Manila can ever get a hold of its city population's mindsets - particularly the street vermin types and taxi drivers, then yeah, the city would have a lot to offer.

I'm a big fan of the Philippines, but the stresses of visiting and spending time in Manila gets to tourists/foreigners. It is unfortunate, as that city is what tourists usually see FIRST and LAST in the Philippines, which is probably a double-edge sword, as the millions of tourists that visit Thailand every year, seem to just be a fraction of who visit the Philippines. Too many foreigners prefer a little safety and peace when on vacation, and Manila doesn't offer either one of those two things.

But, yeah, if Manila was 'cleaned up of the people significantly' the barebones structure of Manila is fantastic!
This is why I tell visitors to not stay in the actual city of Manila (they can visit it though) but stay in Makati, Ortigas, or Fort Bonifacio instead. It's easier and safer to walk around in those areas. But I consider all of those areas as "Manila" because it's basically one contiguous city.

But there are much more dangerous cities than Manila. Even the US has cities that are more dangerous than Manila. I think the perception of crime in Manila is greater than the reality. But im still trying to figure out how Bangkok is considered aesthetically attractive when most of it looks the same as Manila..

Old 04-23-2016, 02:12 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Does anyone go to Bangkok because of its appearance? I thought everyone agreed that it's a total dump, at least close to being one, and it's popular for other stuff it has to offer, like food, religious activities, beaches, night life, prostitution, buzz and energy etc.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Does anyone go to Bangkok because of its appearance? I thought everyone agreed that it's a total dump, at least close to being one, and it's popular for other stuff it has to offer, like food, religious activities, beaches, night life, prostitution, buzz and energy etc.
when people compare Bangkok and Manila, Manila is described as the dump, as if both cities aren't dumpy

Old 04-23-2016, 02:27 PM

^Well Taiwanese people tend to consider both as dumps, just that Manila is dumpier as it's far more dangerous and very much off the radar.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^Well Taiwanese people tend to consider both as dumps, just that Manila is dumpier as it's far more dangerous and very much off the radar.
I agree that Manila has more crime and poverty, but it's not aesthetically uglier than Bangkok. They're about the same, with some areas of Manila being more attractive because Manila's business districts (aka the "nice areas") are zoned much better than those in Bangkok.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
because the few tourists who come to Manila usually only stay in the actual city of Manila, and maybe Pasay (to go to the Mall of Asia). They think downtown Manila is actually Manila's downtown, when it's really Makati, Ortigas, and BGC. They see a only slice of Manila- the old crumbling part. It would be like going to NYC and only staying in the Bronx the whole time.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:12 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
This looks pretty compact...

https://www.google.nl/maps/@13.74999...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamiard220 View Post
I agree that Manila has more crime and poverty, but it's not aesthetically uglier than Bangkok. They're about the same, with some areas of Manila being more attractive because Manila's business districts (aka the "nice areas") are zoned much better than those in Bangkok.
I don't think anyone considers either of them to be aesthetically uglier or prettier than one another, no one really cares about how they look, at all. Both of them are thought of as dumps, just that Bangkok is more famous and safer.

At least that's what the Taiwanese people I know think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or