Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:51 PM

291 posts, read 275,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I gotta disagree with all this and I don't think the OP was talking about pros.

You want to go to Roppongi. Its where the 24+ women that want to meet foreigners go. You will more likely find english speakers there also. The club bar scene changes frequently so any recommendation is likely outdated unless it from the last year or so. They frequently close, are shut down, move etc.
I was specifically avoiding recommending Roppongi because I hate it, but I suppose you're right. Personally I would not waste time going to Roppongi on a "finally going to Japan!!" type of trip as to me it's filled with gross ex pats, but if hooking up with a Japanese woman is the prime directive it's the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 03:13 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,022,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
I was specifically avoiding recommending Roppongi because I hate it, but I suppose you're right. Personally I would not waste time going to Roppongi on a "finally going to Japan!!" type of trip as to me it's filled with gross ex pats, but if hooking up with a Japanese woman is the prime directive it's the right place.
I do see your point. There is good and bad in Roppongi. Its not my favorite area by any means. But.....the op did ask.

You can go do Shibuya and dance with good looking young japanese girls all night long, but...thats about all your going to do. I mean anythings possible but the girls in Roppongi are there because its a crazy party and theres lots of foreigners, not so much in Shibuya.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:57 PM

10,639 posts, read 15,962,564 times
Quote:
Fun place to go see but spend your night time in Roppongi.
If he wants to lose all his money to the Nigerians sure.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
You can go do Shibuya and dance with good looking young japanese girls all night long, but...thats about all your going to do. I mean anythings possible but the girls in Roppongi are there because its a crazy party and theres lots of foreigners, not so much in Shibuya.
I agree with you that Roppongi is the best area for a easy quicky but the OP said he's not interested in that and wants to meet the average Japanese people.
Shibuya's hooker to average people ratio is A LOT lower plus the area looks a lot cleaner too without shady 2 meter Nigerian bouncers and middle aged Chinese massage ladies every meter you walk.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:55 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,624,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Quote:
I do see your point. There is good and bad in Roppongi. Its not my favorite area by any means. But.....the op did ask.

Roppongi doesn't sound exactly like my type of place but since I'll be alone and I know very, very, very little Japanese, it seems like a place I can get around easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
If he wants to lose all his money to the Nigerians sure.
Not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I agree with you that Roppongi is the best area for a easy quicky but the OP said he's not interested in that and wants to meet the average Japanese people.
Shibuya's hooker to average people ratio is A LOT lower plus the area looks a lot cleaner too without shady 2 meter Nigerian bouncers and middle aged Chinese massage ladies every meter you walk.

Seediness is something I know. I lived in the ghetto's of he south Bronx, Lower East Side Manhattan back in the 90's, Bronxville, Brooklyn. I also been to some really rough parts late at night of Chicago, Detroit, West Palm Beach Florida and a lot more. And after going to Juarez, Mexico which I found to be extremely dangerous,sketchy and scary-I doubt anything in Roppongi is going to come even close to scaring me. Anything can happen of course but I don't see Roppongi being much of a threat as long I am on my p's and q's.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:58 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,624,912 times
Another question. Anyone know anything about the ferries from Japan to South Korea?

Old 05-07-2016, 06:38 AM

6,368 posts, read 11,907,807 times
OP, how long do you plan to stay in Japan?

To answer your questions:

1. Roppongi will be your best bet for nightlife options. There is also a nice club called Ageha but its in the middle of nowhere.

2. See #1

3. As far as making friends, that's a little harder to do than hooking up with girls in Roppongi. The Japanese tend to be shy and reserved.

4. I recommend Hakone. It's only about an hour by train from Tokyo, and there's a lot to do there including hot springs. I'd also recommend seeing the Tanzawa Mountains (Oyama is a popular hike) if you're into nature. Kamakura is also a must see (its like Kyoto but smaller and in the Tokyo area). Also if you have time, Nikko, Shirakawa-go, and Nagiso are beautiful places in the country.

5. Tokyo might actually be a little cheaper than NYC. You'll be surprised at how many hotels you can find in Tokyo for $100 (especially if you're traveling alone), and they are decent. In NYC its hard to find anything under $300.

6. The best time to visit Japan is late March/early April (cherry blossom season) or October/November. I would avoid June since its the rainy season, which may continue into the first week of July. After that, July and August are nice if you don't mind the heat (the weather is similar to Atlanta). Winters are not bad either; the temperatures might be cold (warmer than NYC however, about the same as Atlanta) but you get more days of sunshine and its drier.

Don't forget to check out Yokohama, Tokyo's neighboring city. It's large but you can see it one day since its more compact than Tokyo. Tokyo is very spread out so you need at least 3-4 days to see everything.

Hope you make the trip!

Old 05-07-2016, 01:28 PM

442 posts, read 659,596 times
After reading all these, Roppongi sounds like Lan Kwai Fong of Hong Kong a lot.

Not typical asian places.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:24 PM

Do some research about "Bottakuri" and you will think again before entering a bar in Roppongi/Kabukicho all by yourself.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:50 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,347,580 times
1) I have no clue about clubbing. But do check out some evening street markets while you're there too.

2) Some go for foreigners, most aren't so keen on foreigners. You'll find that most people are polite, but there's still a lot of racism among older folks especially. So it depends upon what you're looking for, I guess.

3) You can make friends--but how long will you be there? As with many large cities, you might find that expatriates tend to hang around with other expatriates.

4) It's expensive.

5) Lots of great heritage sites are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Sites_in_Japan Also don't miss Kyoto.

6) Typhoon season happens from mid to late Summer, so you might want to avoid visiting at that time. April would be a nice time, you'd see cherry blossoms most likely. Later in the Fall would be nice as well, because the weather never gets too cold there anyway. The southern part of the country is nearly tropical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia