Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times

Advertisements

So, its been a SUPER OVER-DUE but I am finally making a trip to Japan for next year of 2017. I wanted to do so this year of June 2016 but too many things in my personal life got in the way and the next couple of months I have other obligations. So I've decided to make a trip for next year. I got more than enough money saved up but by next year I'll have even more to enjoy myself. Unless something drastic happens in my life, NOTHING is stopping me this time. Japan has always been a country I've been dreamed about going to since I was a kid and I'm almost 30 years of age and I just NEED to do it and get it out of my system.

As of right now I am going solo, unless someone decides to tag along with me from now till then. And if I do go with someone, it'll be a friend of mine who is familiar with the Japanese language so it won't be as problematic. If I go alone (90% chance) then I'll definitely need to sharpen up on my Japanese as much as I can from now till then. I plan on visiting Tokyo (of course) but I also want to venture outside of it.

Even though I have some knowledge of Japan and of Tokyo through the people I know who have spent time over in Japan, I always want to pick others brains and see their thoughts. So here are some of the questions:

1)What's the best night life area to go to in Tokyo metropolitan area? I'm big into clubs but I'm definitely into dancing. I don't go to clubs just to show face, I like to actually dance and mingle with people. I'm also not a huge drinker

2)How are the Japanese women towards foreigners? It's not my biggest priorities to get a woman but I definitely don't have any issues meeting a nice female when the occasion arises. I'm a Latino male but I may look "ethnically ambiguous" to some.

3)Will I be able to make friends in Japan? How are they socially? I love socializing and meeting people everywhere I go so I'll definitely try to make friends while I am over there. I know my language barrier will be an issue but I feel it may also be a bond. Especially since I would MORE than love to learn Japanese and I definitely immerse myself in the culture.

4)How expensive is it really? I live in NYC which is considered a pretty expensive city but I am able to do so many inexpensive activities. I'm not into anything swanky, though I won't object to it but I opt more for cheap (but tasty) eats, exploring the city/sight seeting, dancing like I mentioned and I do enjoy a host of physical activities (martial arts, bike riding etc, etc, etc). How much would it run my pockets?

5) Outside out Tokyo metropolitan area, I want to travel to the country side of Japan. I am thinking of a trip to Mt. Fuji but other than Mt. Fuji, what would nature sights in Japan should I check out? If possible I am thinking of going swimming in the waters of Japan. I am also thinking of doing a hot springs. Whats the best ways to get to these places? Would the language barrier be that much harder?

6) What's the best time to go to Japan? I am looking to go to Japan anywhere between a spring-summer or light fall type of weather. I don't mind wearing a light jacket or hoodie and definitely don't mind wearing less clothing if it's hotter.

I may have a lot more questions but for now, these will do. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 05:58 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post

1)What's the best night life area to go to in Tokyo metropolitan area? I'm big into clubs but I'm definitely into dancing. I don't go to clubs just to show face, I like to actually dance and mingle with people. I'm also not a huge drinker

2)How are the Japanese women towards foreigners? It's not my biggest priorities to get a woman but I definitely don't have any issues meeting a nice female when the occasion arises. I'm a Latino male but I may look "ethnically ambiguous" to some.

3)Will I be able to make friends in Japan? How are they socially? I love socializing and meeting people everywhere I go so I'll definitely try to make friends while I am over there. I know my language barrier will be an issue but I feel it may also be a bond. Especially since I would MORE than love to learn Japanese and I definitely immerse myself in the culture.

4)How expensive is it really? I live in NYC which is considered a pretty expensive city but I am able to do so many inexpensive activities. I'm not into anything swanky, though I won't object to it but I opt more for cheap (but tasty) eats, exploring the city/sight seeting, dancing like I mentioned and I do enjoy a host of physical activities (martial arts, bike riding etc, etc, etc). How much would it run my pockets?

5) What's the best time to go to Japan? I am looking to go to Japan anywhere between a spring-summer or light fall type of weather. I don't mind wearing a light jacket or hoodie and definitely don't mind wearing less clothing if it's hotter.
1.Overall Shibuya! If you like Slavic and Latina prostitutes check out Roppongi, if you like Asian pro's check out Shinjuku, if your not interested in any of those things just avoid Roppongi and Shinjuku at night.

2.Many like them but don't really show it in public as their family/friends might look down on them.

3.Its possible but not easy, of all 17 countries ive visited Japan was probably the most difficult to make friends yet Japan is still in my top 3 favorite countries. Only exchanged phone numbers with the Japanese hanging out in the nightlife area's.

4.If you like to drink alcohol daily you will need at least $200 per day to have fun, if not $100 will do.

5.Mid-Late May.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:18 AM

291 posts, read 277,078 times
Quote:
So, its been a SUPER OVER-DUE but I am finally making a trip to Japan for next year of 2017. I wanted to do so this year of June 2016 but too many things in my personal life got in the way and the next couple of months I have other obligations. So I've decided to make a trip for next year. I got more than enough money saved up but by next year I'll have even more to enjoy myself. Unless something drastic happens in my life, NOTHING is stopping me this time. Japan has always been a country I've been dreamed about going to since I was a kid and I'm almost 30 years of age and I just NEED to do it and get it out of my system.

As of right now I am going solo, unless someone decides to tag along with me from now till then. And if I do go with someone, it'll be a friend of mine who is familiar with the Japanese language so it won't be as problematic. If I go alone (90% chance) then I'll definitely need to sharpen up on my Japanese as much as I can from now till then. I plan on visiting Tokyo (of course) but I also want to venture outside of it.

Even though I have some knowledge of Japan and of Tokyo through the people I know who have spent time over in Japan, I always want to pick others brains and see their thoughts. So here are some of the questions:

Shibuya
Quote:
Not bad but IMO you have to be there awhile. You're not just gonna get a date on a short trip unless its with a prostitute.
Quote:
probably not on a short trip. but definitely if you are there for a long period
what i've found is it's way easier to make friends if you are into very specific niche like skateboarding, french house music, snowboarding etc.
Quote:
It's about the same as NYC. If you like noodles food is actually very cheap. For example take Ramen Setagaya on St. Marks. The same kind of food in Japan can easily be found for 1/2 the price.

Quote:
5) Outside out Tokyo metropolitan area, I want to travel to the country side of Japan. I am thinking of a trip to Mt. Fuji but other than Mt. Fuji, what would nature sights in Japan should I check out? If possible I am thinking of going swimming in the waters of Japan. I am also thinking of doing a hot springs. Whats the best ways to get to these places? Would the language barrier be that much harder?
I like going to the beach in Japan but they aren't very scenic. I'd try to go to Kyoto and see the Kamakura Buddha if it was going to be my only trip. There's actually a lot of nature stuff in japan that is pretty cool. It's sort of hard to recommend just a couple spots. In fact, Tokyo itself is a lot of the same kind of stuff repeated and you could probably hit up all the must see stuff in 2-3 days.

Quote:
6) What's the best time to go to Japan? I am looking to go to Japan anywhere between a spring-summer or light fall type of weather. I don't mind wearing a light jacket or hoodie and definitely don't mind wearing less clothing if it's hotter.
late april or may

Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 AM

399 posts, read 719,284 times
Prostitute only. Don't harass the women please.
Japanese are quite shy, so on a short trip probably not.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Oh come on, don't ruin a Westerner's dream of Japanese women falling on their knees and worshipping tall noses (sarcasm)

Old 05-05-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.Overall Shibuya! If you like Slavic and Latina prostitutes check out Roppongi, if you like Asian pro's check out Shinjuku, if your not interested in any of those things just avoid Roppongi and Shinjuku at night.

2.Many like them but don't really show it in public as their family/friends might look down on them.

3.Its possible but not easy, of all 17 countries ive visited Japan was probably the most difficult to make friends yet Japan is still in my top 3 favorite countries. Only exchanged phone numbers with the Japanese hanging out in the nightlife area's.

4.If you like to drink alcohol daily you will need at least $200 per day to have fun, if not $100 will do.

5.Mid-Late May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Shibuya

Not bad but IMO you have to be there awhile. You're not just gonna get a date on a short trip unless its with a prostitute.

what i've found is it's way easier to make friends if you are into very specific niche like skateboarding, french house music, snowboarding etc.

It's about the same as NYC. If you like noodles food is actually very cheap. For example take Ramen Setagaya on St. Marks. The same kind of food in Japan can easily be found for 1/2 the price.

I like going to the beach in Japan but they aren't very scenic. I'd try to go to Kyoto and see the Kamakura Buddha if it was going to be my only trip. There's actually a lot of nature stuff in japan that is pretty cool. It's sort of hard to recommend just a couple spots. In fact, Tokyo itself is a lot of the same kind of stuff repeated and you could probably hit up all the must see stuff in 2-3 days.

late april or may
Quote:

Holy COW. Guys, I didn't mean prostitutes, that's NOT my thing at all. No way, hahahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Oh come on, don't ruin a Westerner's dream of Japanese women falling on their knees and worshipping tall noses (sarcasm)
No dreams ruined on my end.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

However and again, I am NOT looking for prostitutes. I am just want to know if there's a social spot (like a club or bar) that would be easier to mingle with females or just people in general. From what I've been told, the women tend to be shy, I got that, that's fine. It may be hard but not impossible. Anyone know any good clubs or spots to go to?

Also to damain, I don't harass women.

Beyond this women stuff, thanks for the advice on where to go and for cost of food and all that. Keep it up guys.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:23 PM

291 posts, read 277,078 times
If you go to a dance club, women will dance with you. Hard to recommend since the best ones are the smaller ones which come and go and don't make it to the english guides. But the big ones like WOMB are worth checking out.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:37 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Shibuya

Quote:
I gotta disagree with all this and I don't think the OP was talking about pros.

Quote:
Thanks for the response guys.

However and again, I am NOT looking for prostitutes. I am just want to know if there's a social spot (like a club or bar) that would be easier to mingle with females or just people in general. From what I've been told, the women tend to be shy, I got that, that's fine. It may be hard but not impossible. Anyone know any good clubs or spots to go to?

Also to damain, I don't harass women.

Beyond this women stuff, thanks for the advice on where to go and for cost of food and all that. Keep it up guys.
You want to go to Roppongi. Its where the 24+ women that want to meet foreigners go. You will more likely find english speakers there also. The club bar scene changes frequently so any recommendation is likely outdated unless it from the last year or so. They frequently close, are shut down, move etc.

If I had to give one recommendation it would be Muse (if i remember that name correctly). If its still open. If its still the same. Look around on the net at trip review sites for club and bar reviews and recommendations.

Shibuya is for a slightly younger crowd. Less girls are going to speak English or be interested in meeting a foreigner. Fun place to go see but spend your night time in Roppongi.

Shinjuku is the red light district. Lots of Yakuza in certain areas, and there are places that strictly cater to Japanese men only. Sorry round eyes.

If you can walk into a bar or club and chat women up and generally have no trouble meeting women then your not going to have problems in Tokyo. I never did. You have to be confident, engaging and good looking. Your ethnicity will of course factor in for some women, as it does anywhere, but overall its not going to matter. I have meet girls there that don't speak English at all, speak some English and some that are fluent. No problems with any as long as you can pick up some basic Japanese. I highly recommend the Fluent Forever method. You got the time to do it. It will perhaps open some more doors.

Tokyo has several areas that cater to specific interests. They will concentrate groups of people who share the same interest. Your interest is meeting Japanese women. You need to go to the place where Japanese women go to meet foreigners. Thats Roppongi. Just ignore the pros and tell them no thanks, they are easy to spot and easy to avoid and its beyond idiotic to be paying for them in a place like Roppongi (or anywhere for that matter).

You can meet girls in other cities also. Don't let the naysayers get you down. You know when a girl looks at you and is interested. If she's not then cut your loss and move on, plenty more in the sea. Its the same all around the world.

edit: I am not up on what to use but surely there is some type of forum, or app or something you can use to meet girls via the internet before you go there and setup a date or two during your time there. Obviously you will have to probably wade through some pros, scammers and such but I would think if you start searching forums you can find something.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
Are you sure you will go to Japan because if some one really wanna go no question papers like this. Enjoy planing. Books and papers are starting to read from the last page just a tip before you start Japanese news papers from the front
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia