Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider Singapore a pedestrian-friendly city or a car-dependent city?
pedestrian-friendly city 7 63.64%
car-dependent city 1 9.09%
don't know Singapore enough to say 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:51 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Would you consider Singapore a pedestrian-friendly city or a car-dependent city?

THis is going to be tough, because for a tourist, it is very easy to walk around everywhere, as most of the hotels are in the most densely populated areas along the metro routes.

But, for locals, who might be living anywhere in Singapore, it could be quite different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 07:37 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Since most locals can't afford to own a vehicle, Singapore has to be fairly pedestrian-friendly. I had no issues with buses when I stayed with my uncle way out in the burbs. That said, it gets much tougher after 10p (or so) at night.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:12 PM

280 posts, read 338,856 times
I'd probably say pedestrian friendly since it's quite densely built up and not spread out. Only Western countries are car dependant - large sprawling cities with minimal access to transport. Is Singapore as well integrated transport wise as say Hong Kong or Tokyo? Probably not!

Do they have decent bike paths in Singapore? I'd think a city of this size is very suitable for it not to mention the health benefits!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:39 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,968 times
Take it from the born, bred, studied , working and living in Singapore Singaporean. Many locals dont have their own cars. I dont too

As for bike paths , well there arent many i would say

Last edited by singaporelady; 05-09-2016 at 11:49 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 02:33 AM

33 posts, read 56,693 times
Well since owning a car in Singapore is one of the most expensive places on earth its definitely a pedestrian friendly city, the government makes it quite clear that they want you to rely on the public transport to get around this little red dot (MRT/Taxi/Uber/Bus/LRT).

If you do choose to drive that's fine but you will be punished for doing so, it really makes no sense and so most foreigners don't bother as its hard for us to grasp the ridiculous prices such as the price of a BMW here would get us a Ferrari in the West.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 AM

280 posts, read 338,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Take it from the born, bred, studied , working and living in Singapore Singaporean. Many locals dont have their own cars. I dont too

As for bike paths , well there arent many i would say
With prices like those in Singapore, how could one purchase a car? License plates are limited, probably not a bad thing...and this is before getting to the point

For a relatively densely populated city such as Singapore, they layout is suitable for a more transport friendly city.

I think cities around the world should take a look at Amsterdam with its bike paths that actually get you somewhere and cars should really be shared.

Western countries with their huge ass layouts - Melbourne for example spans a 90km radius (almost), with this it is rather inefficient for public transport to serve people effectively, hence to use of cars. I only limit my car use to weekends due to the convenience of transporting my children. Weekdays I try to cycle to work as much as I can.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:10 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
Is Singapore a car-friendly, car-dependent city?

You get your answer here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf7A5j2QO5E

Old 05-10-2016, 06:18 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Well, compared with HK, Singapore is relatively spread out a bit - so maybe distances aren't as walkable as, say, HK.

However, public transport is pretty decent (MRT, bus, taxi). As others have noted, private car ownership is pretty exorbitant, and it is government policy to make it that way, given the finite amount of land in Singapore and to manage traffic congestion.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:09 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Singapore is EXTREMELY pedestrian friendly - you can walk anywhere/everywhere.

Having said that the cars are not pedestrian friendly and do not try to avoid people.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:49 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
It's not car dependent because most Singaporeans don't own vehicles and use public transportation instead. The public transportation system will serve all your basic needs to get to work, shop and do other errands. A lot of Singaporeans like people in the West have a very materialistic attitude about owning things they don't need and buy very expensive vehicles just for status.

I wouldn't call it pedestrian friendly either. There is heavy personal and commercial traffic just about everywhere most of the day. Singaporeans seem not to understand the concept of yielding the right of way to pedestrians even when they are crossing marked intersections.

Remember also Singapore has a tropical climate with high temps and humidity. Walking anywhere for a considerable distance can be quite uncomfortable especially for the elderly and the young. I'm older and walking can be quite a chore unless it's a short distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia