Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times

Advertisements

Duterte is an absolute moron who has no business whatsoever being in charge of a country. That said he is almost certain to screw up America's pivot to Asia so for that reason I am happy he was elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Probably the ONLY criminal cesspool that I can think of in the Philippines is ONLY Manila. What are some other cities known for being a cesspool of crime? I didn't think anywhere in Mindinao was like that?

The people are fantastic down there. Davao especially, but equally in Cagayan de Oro.

I haven't been to Zamboanga, but I think they are just known for religious conflict, not for street crime and street criminals. Duterte's methods are against criminals, not against religious differences. So, that wouldn't be applicable.
Mindanao is where all the terrorists are. Sure, I'm sure most of the people there are nice, though. (I often jokingly ask my husband ((born and raised in Quezon City)) if we should take a trip to Mindanao, and his response is "Do you want to die". Yes, he's being overly dramatic, but the point still stands.) Street crime isn't the only type of "cesspool".

Old 05-23-2016, 01:45 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,442 times
Won't be visiting anytime soon. I don't intend to commit any crimes there but... giving an already corrupt police force power to shoot to kill is Hitler-ish.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:03 AM

399 posts, read 719,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Won't be visiting anytime soon. I don't intend to commit any crimes there but... giving an already corrupt police force power to shoot to kill is Hitler-ish.
stop with comparing everything to hitler..wow. The closest thing to hitler today are the lefties that want government control over everything and those islamic countries. Having a strong stance against crime like a Singapore actually helps a country. What troubles me about Duterte is that he's friendly with the communist. Communist are trouble..unless he's actually working as a peace keeper..I'm not sure.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Misinformed post.

Shoot to kill if the suspect threatens the police.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:56 PM

549 posts, read 722,575 times
Meh, I think the position is a little overrated on the power behind it. Du30 will run into a bunch of problems trying to get anything done. Luckily (or not) this is how most democracies have set themselves up.

I'll be there in a few weeks for about a month so if I happen to get on the receiving end of the shoot to kill Pulis, I'll make a special request to access the interwebs and keep this thread updated (as it is my civic duty) but it's not likely.

Whether or not he can affect nat'l policy is yet to be seen but at lest the potential for change is there.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:21 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Mindanao is where all the terrorists are. Sure, I'm sure most of the people there are nice, though. (I often jokingly ask my husband ((born and raised in Quezon City)) if we should take a trip to Mindanao, and his response is "Do you want to die". Yes, he's being overly dramatic, but the point still stands.) Street crime isn't the only type of "cesspool".

We have friends who originally came from Mindanao and now live here in San Diego. They were telling us that when they visit family it's necessary to hire private security to visit the town where they grew up due to the fear of being held up and robbed.

Also several expat friends who have retired and now live in Dumaguete ,Negros Oriental are telling me that they are concerned about the election results and possible backlash against foreigners. May have to pack up and leave if the situation changes.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:24 PM

549 posts, read 722,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We have friends who originally came from Mindanao and now live here in San Diego. They were telling us that when they visit family it's necessary to hire private security to visit the town where they grew up due to the fear of being held up and robbed.

Also several expat friends who have retired and now live in Dumaguete ,Negros Oriental are telling me that they are concerned about the election results and possible backlash against foreigners. May have to pack up and leave if the situation changes.
That's pretty sad. Out of all of the countries in Asia, I've found the PI to be the most accommodating and offer the best opportunity for a potential relocation.

Sure it's vast place with many differing opinions but I'd like to hope that one day I could settle down in the town my wife grew up in (20 miles from where JoMa created the NPA [Dulacac], Dec 26 1968). 30 years into it, it doesn't seem like a problem but,,,,,but there's always a chance of it becoming one.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Duterte is picking a fight with the Catholic Church. Not a good idea.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Duterte is picking a fight with the Catholic Church. Not a good idea.
He's been picking fights with the church during the whole election, and he still won. He doesn't even call himself Catholic. It shows that Filipino society is changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia