U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:11 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,625,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Change alright, by becoming a Chinese colony. I will be very happy when this clown gets strung up like Mussolini. I think he will be tolerated until he tries to get too cozy with the Chinese, most Filipinos (outside of Mindanao) are very pro-American.

Oh and his comments about the Australian nun that was raped were repulsive beyond words. What a disgusting cretin. This guy has no class, no manners, and no brains.
The stuff he says is something that Hitler or that nutcase North Korean leader would say. He makes Trump look like a level headed, smooth talker. China most definitely wants to push the Philippines around. This idiot is playing right into their hands.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 10-06-2016 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 05:21 PM

9,529 posts, read 9,412,026 times
Does Duterte have the support of the Communist Party? His ideology seems to mix left and right (pro-same-sex marriage, against Catholic influence, pro-death penalty, and anti-drug trafficking).

Old 10-06-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does Duterte have the support of the Communist Party? His ideology seems to mix left and right (pro-same-sex marriage, against Catholic influence, pro-death penalty, and anti-drug trafficking).
He was at it again today. I honestly think he might be in cahoots with the Communists.

Duterte wants to liberate Philippines from U.S. shackles: foreign minister | Reuters

https://www.rt.com/news/361842-duter...assistance-us/

Obama will also show how weak of a president he is in how he deals with it.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 PM

9,529 posts, read 9,412,026 times
[quote=WIHS2006;45733477] I will be very happy when this clown gets strung up like Mussolini.

We can be better than that.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:35 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,168,803 times
Well I guess he promised change and he delivered it. He says today he's aligning with the ideology of the leaders of China.

So I guess that means he'll be clamping right down on internet freedom very soon, then pouring concrete all over coral reefs and killing the sea life in the sea to make landing strips.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:32 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,099,103 times
you people are screwed

Old 10-20-2016, 05:03 PM

17,611 posts, read 19,041,402 times
The US should cut off visas for Filipinos

Old 10-20-2016, 05:08 PM

17,611 posts, read 19,041,402 times
Filipinos LOVE Duterte so they shouldn't want to immigrate to the US or marry Americans. So very two-faced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxbzUiSHqfs

Old 10-20-2016, 05:48 PM

I was going to start a thread about this in Current Events because I don't think a lot of people in the US understand what's going on. With the presidential election in full swing this is not getting any coverage at CNN and so on. I think Duterte planned that actually.

This is a huge issue for the US because he is basically trying to turn the whole country against us. He's completely against the U.S. it has nothing to do with comments made about his drug war. That's just an excuse. He already hated the U.S. before that he just hid it until he got elected. I read some of his comments that were quoted in an article about his trip to China and he has been rattling off more anti-US rhetoric. I think it's really sad because the two cultures get along really well...the Philippines is really unique in Asia

I honestly think he is going to encourage violence against Americans in the Philippines. I don't think he wants Americans in the country at all. He is basically trying to make America out to be evil because of what happened 100 years ago and he doesn't think what the US did in WWII for the Philippines or how the Philippines were given independence matters.

From what I understand there's a lot of people in the country that don't think he is doing the right thing but the younger generation that doesn't know any better in the Philippines think he's some sort of revolutionary genius.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:27 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,279,330 times
I am saddened by the dramatic and somewhat inexplicable turn that Duterte is forcing upon the Philippines. I think the US should back out of the Philippines quietly and leave it to its own devices, much as a parent must let a child go. In good time, once that child matures, the child will go to the parent in a sincere and humble manner on their own accord.

If the Philippines, wishes to cut ties with the US for China, it should be free to do so. The billions in investment and foreign aid can go elsewhere. The Philippine pivot toward China and loss of any trading privileges with the US will come to haunt the Philippines and China will devour her in terms of trade without much quid pro quo save for agriculture. Over time, the Philippines will feel towards China as their Malay brethren in Malaysia and Indonesia.

As for the US, the Philippines no longer holds much strategic importance. The natural partners in the regions are China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam. But for the most part, Asia is returning to Asia. While freedom from the West will provide excitement in the short run, historians will look back at this pivot with great curiosity and befuddlement. Ancient intra-Asian wounds will surface without any obvious ally to back once things get very intro-Asian.

But the sadness will be the lost of intimacy found in shared sacrifice. And the sadness of this pivot being so unnecessary save for the overinflated ego of one guy.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia