Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:44 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"In southern Davao City, where Duterte was mayor for more than 20 years, rights groups documented a total of 1,400 unsolved murders from 1998, most of them petty criminals and street-level drug peddlers. Duterte denies any involvement."

Looks like he's endorsing the killing of journalists now..

""Just because you're a journalist you are not exempted from assassination, if you're a son of a *****," Duterte said when asked how he would address the problem of media killings in the Philippines after a reporter was shot dead in Manila last week."

Outrage after Duterte justifies Philippine journalists' murders - Channel NewsAsia
Wow

He actually said the bolded part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 12:01 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Wow

He actually said the bolded part?
I'll be very surprised if he chooses not to be a dictator, because, that'd how they usually start. Prey on people's fears (you too, Trump)

Old 06-21-2016, 11:30 AM

399 posts, read 719,824 times
If drug dealers are getting killed...that's fine(but go after the big guys). But yeah when non-criminals are getting hit that's bad. The Philippines has a bad drug problem now. I hope he goes after the corrupt politicians.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:00 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
If drug dealers are getting killed...that's fine(but go after the big guys). But yeah when non-criminals are getting hit that's bad. The Philippines has a bad drug problem now. I hope he goes after the corrupt politicians.
agree. these small time street dealers only want to satisfy their vices or put some food into the table. if you notice, the police have been raiding meth factories for a long time but I have yet to see drug lords arrested. don't tell me, when they arrest these "chemists" they don't do tactical interrogation to elicit information on the financiers? if they are really serious, they should bring out their Order of Battle and eliminate those on the top.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:13 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
If he wants to crack down on crime and criminals, you know all too well, that if he had said, during his campaign, that he was going to expel a number of filthy, rich, exploitative, much-hated Chinese, who came to the Philippines before the Spanish arrived, he would have been assassinated long before the election.

Indonesia threw their much-hated Chinese out in 1998. Most Indonesians knew they were going to suffer, as a result of it, and most believed it was worth the self-destructive effort.

I'm currently reading a book World On Fire, by Amy Chua. Her rich Chinese aunt was murdered in Manila, in her palatial home, but by whom? Her chauffeur? A maid? A gardener? A cook? The suspect will never be found, because the police refused to launch an investigation into her death! You mean the police equally hate the Chinese?

Old 06-28-2016, 11:54 AM

^
are the Chinese hated in the Philippines? I never got that impression there. Sure Chinese had money even their own cemeteries, but I never heard any anti-Chinese sentiments. Now I heard a lot of these drugs are coming from China/Chinese..but these are criminals.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 PM

91 posts, read 297,700 times
Quote:
Its sad in 2016 people still think like this.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:42 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Indonesia threw their much-hated Chinese out in 1998. Most Indonesians knew they were going to suffer, as a result of it, and most believed it was worth the self-destructive effort.
There were anti-Chinese riots in Indonesia's history, and many did leave, but there are still many Indonesians of Chinese ancestry, including people who are of mixed descent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin...2.80.931998.29

Old 06-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onni View Post
Its sad in 2016 people still think like this.
What are you going to do? Give them rehabilitation a simple slap in the hand. Allow them to continue to bring down your society. To threaten regular law abiding citizens. You can't be soft. If you want to maintain order and peace you have to be hard with criminals. You want to over crowd the jails. Continue to have politicians and judges to be paid off. It's a harsh world..sorry it's not all peace and lovely..people like this need to be punished..death is the way for scum of the world.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:18 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
Quote:
^
are the Chinese hated in the Philippines? I never got that impression there. Sure Chinese had money even their own cemeteries, but I never heard any anti-Chinese sentiments. Now I heard a lot of these drugs are coming from China/Chinese..but these are criminals.
Since we've been exposed to Chinese people for so many centuries (since at least the 10th century AD), we acknowledge that not all Chinese people are the same! Here, we do make a distinction between Chinese who were born and raised in the Philippines, those who were raised in diaspora places like HK/Taiwan/Singapore/Western countries, and those from the Mainland.

The ones who are generally disliked where I am are Mainlanders - hell even many Filipino-Chinese people I know HATE their mainland counterparts. The others tend to be treated better and judged on a person-to-person basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia