U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:48 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I have found China one of the more difficult places to live (language barrier and pollution) and look forward to going to another part of world in a few months (middle East) to teach/work. Will be interesting to see if the same issues remain but at least there will be many more expats. It will also be interesting to return to USA for a month ago over summer and see how I feel.
Can a Chinese live in the US without speaking any English?
What did you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 01:34 AM

317 posts, read 237,329 times
Actually, you would be surprised how many people in the US don't speak English. Taught ESL in Chinatown one summer and there were plenty of older people who had no reason to speak English.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:45 AM

1,424 posts, read 735,908 times
Quote:
Actually, you would be surprised how many people in the US don't speak English. Taught ESL in Chinatown one summer and there were plenty of older people who had no reason to speak English.
True, but they live with relatives, in a community with a lot of Chinese. And their life is still pretty boring by my standards. They cannot order in a non-Chinese restaurant, cannot watch a movie in the theater, and cannot buy a train ticket to travel...

Old 05-21-2016, 07:43 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
If you're not staying long term I don't see the point for you to learn Mandarin if you're not interested. It's an entirely different system (therefore difficult to learn) and it's not like you'd have any chance using it in the future.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:32 PM

4,338 posts, read 2,267,196 times
Quote:
I have found China one of the more difficult places to live (language barrier and pollution) and look forward to going to another part of world in a few months (middle East) to teach/work. Will be interesting to see if the same issues remain but at least there will be many more expats. It will also be interesting to return to USA for a month ago over summer and see how I feel.
The ME will be very different from China, perhaps boring unless you are in Dubai. The pace of work and life is amazing different from Asia.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:58 PM

317 posts, read 237,329 times
Looking forward to it - and the nice thing about the middle east is that it's close to East Asia (meaning only 5 hours to Hong Kong) if we need to come back here. Yes, the hardest thing about Chinese are the tones and learning characters. Grammar is relatively easy.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:52 PM

721 posts, read 300,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The ME will be very different from China, perhaps boring unless you are in Dubai. The pace of work and life is amazing different from Asia.
I considered Dubai. I still have it on the back of my mind for the future.

A buddy of mine works in Doha, Qatar teaching English. He teaches 4 hour long blocks a day for $12,000 usd a month plus housing on a compound provided. Hes making $144,000 a year working 20 hour weeks with food as his only expense. The only reason I didn't follow him is because the school apparently has to sign off on his exit visa and won't do it until he completes his contract. That makes me nervous even if it is common.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:32 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
I considered Dubai. I still have it on the back of my mind for the future.

A buddy of mine works in Doha, Qatar teaching English. He teaches 4 hour long blocks a day for $12,000 usd a month plus housing on a compound provided. Hes making $144,000 a year working 20 hour weeks with food as his only expense. The only reason I didn't follow him is because the school apparently has to sign off on his exit visa and won't do it until he completes his contract. That makes me nervous even if it is common.
Exit visa? What's that?
I never know you need any visa to leave a place.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:10 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,180,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Exit visa? What's that?
You need one for China, it applies to Chinese citizens but foreigners I don't know. In Russia, you need an exit visa

Old 05-21-2016, 08:17 PM

721 posts, read 300,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Exit visa? What's that?
Apparently some Middle Eastern Countries can prevent you from leaving. A google search for "exit visa Qatar" turns up some rather interesting results. It doesn't seem common at all, but apparently there have been rare cases where people were refused permission to exit by their sponsor (employer)

Exit visa!can it be denied? | Qatar Living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or