Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,284 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some research into middle eastern cities recently and have found that Tel Aviv might be worth visiting. It seems to be the most liberal/progressive of any region in that general area. I imagine this is mostly due to the fact that it is immersed in Jewish culture, rather than Islam.
Anyway, I was wondering how people who have experienced Tel Aviv would rate it in terms of:

Vibrant Nightlife: Anything ranging from dive bars, upscale nightclubs, music venues, etc. Would you consider it to be a good "after hours" destination?
Culture: Theatres, Music venues, museums, local cuisine, etc. Did you feel a charming "local vibe," or did it seem like a generic tourist destination?
Aesthetics: How pleasing is the architecture, outdoor scenery to the eye? Are the aesthetics better or worse here than other areas you visited?

Any other specific information about how you were personally affected by the culture would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Tel Aviv is known for it's nightlife - in a region not known for it's nightlife, due to Islam. Tel Aviv is the secular centre of Israel, in contrast to Jerusalem. It has has some surprisingly historic areas - not thousands of years old, aside from Haifa, but from like the early twentieth century with art-deco etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI1_2YIozNo

Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
It's a cool town, but hella pricy. All Israel is, actually. Aesthetics not so hot, imo. Jerusalem is much prettier. For the best scenery however, head north up to Galilee. Nazareth was a nice surprise. If you want a beach resort, Eilat is the place to go.

One thing Tel Aviv has above all other places in Israel, though, is babes. Absolutely world class in that regard.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I have been doing some research into middle eastern cities recently and have found that Tel Aviv might be worth visiting. It seems to be the most liberal/progressive of any region in that general area. I imagine this is mostly due to the fact that it is immersed in Jewish culture, rather than Islam.
Anyway, I was wondering how people who have experienced Tel Aviv would rate it in terms of:

Vibrant Nightlife: Anything ranging from dive bars, upscale nightclubs, music venues, etc. Would you consider it to be a good "after hours" destination?
Culture: Theatres, Music venues, museums, local cuisine, etc. Did you feel a charming "local vibe," or did it seem like a generic tourist destination?
Aesthetics: How pleasing is the architecture, outdoor scenery to the eye? Are the aesthetics better or worse here than other areas you visited?

Any other specific information about how you were personally affected by the culture would be appreciated.
Tel Aviv is known for its nightlife. It has many bars/pubs. Also one should visit the old city of Jaffa which is part of Tel Aviv where are nice fish restaurants next to the coastal area. Tel Aviv also has concerts and theater plays which I believe one can rent a headset for an English translation during the show. The most important museum in Tel Aviv is the Diaspora Museum which is located in the upscale suburb of Ramat Aviv a short bus ride from the center of Tel Aviv. Tel Aviv is also known as a beach town. One can go visit one of the many restaurants along the beach for a nice meal at night as well.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post

I've always thought of it as the "Manhattan on the Ocean".

When I look at google maps, it doesn't look like Manhattan much, but with the 24-hour culture, and the bars/clubs/restaurants, that it supposedly has, and I do believe it does, than it certainly sounds quite interesting.

But, for some reason, I've always wondered if a non-Hebrew speaking person in Tel Aviv in the bars and clubs, would really be of any interest to anyone. Having met tons of traveling Israelis, they often have deep connections with each other, all kinds of family and friend and military connections. I'd think that everytime they went out, they must be connecting with new people, and talking about their connections.

Some random visitor without Hebrew, and no connections; I can't see why they'd be that interested to get to know. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 AM

733 posts, read 603,074 times
Israel isn't more liberal than the GOP.

Ever heard of the Trump wall? Trump probably borrowed the idea from Israel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly conservative.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:11 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Israel isn't more liberal than the GOP.

Ever heard of the Trump wall? Trump probably borrowed the idea from Israel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly conservative.
Racially probably not, but Tel Aviv is easily the gay capital of Asia, the world even.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:01 AM

733 posts, read 603,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Racially probably not, but Tel Aviv is easily the gay capital of Asia, the world even.
Trump wall is about securing the border, which has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Israel is also very religious, which doesn't sound that liberal.

Are you a gay may I ask? I'm not really familiar with the gay community. Maybe it is.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Tel-Aviv is one of my favorite cities in the world

Old 06-10-2016, 02:17 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,368 times
How bi lingual is tel aviv and Israel as a whole? I think Israelites are great people so I would love to communicate and be friend them! So do I need to learn Hebrew or do they know English? What is the general view in Israel about Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia