Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:49 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,622,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
The Americans are not like the Communist Party of China or the Communist Party of North Korea that still have propaganda to encourage their citizens how to "feel" towards anything.
Reading this makes me lose all interest in finishing whatever you are about to write.
So naïve for your age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 04:26 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Reading this makes me lose all interest in finishing whatever you are about to write.
So naïve for your age.
Oh, so China isn't imposing political indoctrination on its citizens?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yes it does. It is disgusting. I can tolerate the lack of democracy with no problem, even the pollution but the lack of free press and brainwashing is unacceptable, and under Xi it is getting worse.

However what I laughed at was the idea that the US government makes no attempt to indoctrinate and just let people think however they want. Lol. Maybe a 12 year old believes that.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:06 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,187,973 times
Quote:
So naïve for your age.
You can nitpick all you want, but what I meant is that I haven't heard of Americans indoctrinating specifically to influence how one "feels", as opposed to trying to influence how one thinks. Not that political indoctrination is completely absent in the US. Whatever, the level and degree of political indoctrination in China is just much more intense compared to the US.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:25 AM

77,676 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Quote:
In the 21 century, rapidly rising China seems to be learning the lesson. It's seeking more power in the sea - therefore all the conflicts in the SCS, yet its relationship with its neighbours are much improved, because it realizes that getting a bit more land is meaningless.
That's the part where politics probably seeped into the situation as Chinese professors still have to toe the party line.

In reality China is currently working on expanding territory via claims on islands and building on islands in order to stake fishing and resource claims.

Not arguing right or wrong.

The reason they need more power at sea is to be able to assert control on their island territory expansion.

Let's face it, where else is China going to go? They're bordered on the most sides by nuclear powers.

Please note many other countries are doing similar oceanic, polar and continental shelf grabs so I'm not picking on China. Expanding technology is putting those vast undersea resources into play and everyone wants them.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
You can nitpick all you want, but what I meant is that I haven't heard of Americans indoctrinating specifically to influence how one "feels", as opposed to trying to influence how one thinks. Not that political indoctrination is completely absent in the US. Whatever, the level and degree of political indoctrination in China is just much more intense compared to the US.
I agree it is of different degrees. However, it is only in recent years that I realize what kind of sophisticated skills the US government has in subtly telling people what they should think. What the Chinese government does is more direct, violent and coarse. They still have a lot to learn.

Let me give an example: in justifying its wars in the Middle East, the US media (of course influenced by the government) repeatedly show American audience the death and misery ME people suffer from the dictators, bloody faces, poverty, bombing, body parts etc., on the other hand, it skillfully avoid any images of what kind of pain and trauma American intervention has caused innocent lives there. Unlike the Chinese counterparts, they are smart enough not to tell you what to think or ban anything, but in selectively exposing the audience what they want them to see, they achieve the same results, without a bad reputation.

And it happens every day. And how you know much Americans love their TV.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Yes it does. It is disgusting. I can tolerate the lack of democracy with no problem, even the pollution but the lack of free press and brainwashing is unacceptable, and under Xi it is getting worse.

However what I laughed at was the idea that the US government makes no attempt to indoctrinate and just let people think however they want. Lol. Maybe a 12 year old believes that.
Sorry, but when there's no democracy, there's no free press and there's definitely brainwashing. Even in democracies, the press freedom could still be horrible and there's always a certain degree of political indoctrination.

The difference is the level and intensity. China absolutely belongs to the highest level. The stance on Taiwan is the best example.

Obviously most countries in the world do not face their history properly at all, Germany is probably the only major country that is at least making real effort to do so, while America doesn't really bother that much, but if we're ranking it on a scale, their political indoctrination is probably just middle ground, far weaker than China. At least a large portion of well-educated Americans are aware of their their wrongful conducts in the past or right now and won't always buy the information coming from CNN or Fox news, and there's always been fierce protests against government actions; on the other hand, even the most well-educated Chinese people are still very likely to think that Taiwan belongs to China and diss Hong Kong's democratic movement whenever they get the chance.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:49 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,124,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I think a lot of people tend to overestimate political indoctrination and underestimate tribal loyalties that all ethnic groups feel around the world. I think the most nationalistic Chinese are nationalistic not because they are politically indoctrinated but because they want to see their race/ethnicity do well. No amount of political indoctrination can really change this and if you meet any overseas Chinese you will also notice that they aren't exactly changing their nationalist views even though they are exposed to other viewpoints. You can also see this with overseas Turks who were born and raised overseas and how they are steadfast in denying that they committed the Armenian Genocide. Their denial is hardly due to political indoctrination since they aren't exposed to government propaganda telling them that no genocide happened. Same goes for a lot of American Jews who are fanatically Zionist even though they don't really have any connections to Israel. Some are "indoctrinated" by their fanatical synagogues but a lot of them are secular and just want to make their their ethnicity remains safe and powerful in the Middle East.

Last edited by X14Freak; 06-17-2016 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I think a lot of people tend to overestimate political indoctrination and underestimate tribal loyalties that all ethnic groups feel around the world. I think the most nationalistic Chinese are nationalistic not because they are politically indoctrinated but because they want to see their race/ethnicity do well. No amount of political indoctrination can really change this and if you meet any overseas Chinese you will also notice that they aren't exactly changing their nationalist views even though they are exposed to other viewpoints. You can also see this with overseas Turks who were born and raised overseas and how they are steadfast in denying that they committed the Armenian Genocide. Their denial is hardly due to political indoctrination since they aren't exposed to government propaganda telling them that no genocide happened. Same goes for a lot of American Jews who are fanatically Zionist even though they don't really have any connections to Israel. Some are "indoctrinated" by their fanatical synagogues but a lot of them are secular and just want to make their their ethnicity remains safe and powerful in the Middle East.
Well Taiwanese and Singaporeans are more or less of the same race/ethinicity of the Chinese, but you don't see Taiwanese or Singaporean people getting all worked up over the Great Chinese Dream.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:41 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,977,373 times
Quote:

No one is expecting to completely forget WWII. But the war has been over for more than 70 years now. Almost everyone who were adults at that time are now dead.
Some of the youngest soldiers of that war should still be around, but they are getting very old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia