Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:45 AM

399 posts, read 719,453 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. I moved to an area that has a decently sized Vietnamese population and at my job there's a Vietnamese nurse that I like..in a friendly way..not romantic. She has a very heavy accent so I know she wasn't born in the U.S. She speaks 3 languages. What are they like? I'm guessing most Vietnamese are either Buddhist or non-religious. Probably conservative. Hmmm not sure what else.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:42 PM

549 posts, read 722,217 times
For what it's worth, my wife and I have a pretty good number Vietnamese friends (20+). Most of them are Catholic and a minority Buddhist.

The ones that I know are very, very hard working, humble, relatively conservative, giving, don't go out very much, have terrific food, like to have get togethers (parties at home) and are very easy going.

The only thing I'm not fond of is that many of them have a thing for very expensive top of the line women's accessories like jewelry, handbags, sunglasses, clothing etc. I understand that people of many varieties do but I've just seen so much silliness that I can't leave that out.

Many of our other Asian friends are very similar in that regard too.

I hope I didn't offend anyone and was actually able to give you my views and that they will provide some insight. However, you still have to remember that this world is filled with over 7 Billion people and they are all individuals and have their own likes, dislikes and quirks.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:18 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Just wondering. I moved to an area that has a decently sized Vietnamese population and at my job there's a Vietnamese nurse that I like..in a friendly way..not romantic. She has a very heavy accent so I know she wasn't born in the U.S. She speaks 3 languages. What are they like? I'm guessing most Vietnamese are either Buddhist or non-religious. Probably conservative. Hmmm not sure what else.
If the immigrant community is of decent size then most of the elders and leaders came in the years close to the fall of Saigon. They are likely Catholic throwing off the religious demographics of all Vietnamese. However recent immigrants would have come from a much less Catholic home. Like the Cubans who fled Castro that first generation are much more conservative than their American raised children

Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,524 times
I fly and stay in Saigon every 6 weeks or so and whenever I spend time there the people are super nice. In terms of doing business with Vietnamese, they are very open and transparent, much more so than say Chinese. They don't play mind games and aren't always being "too smart" before they speak.

I'm sure the women are more traditional and family oriented, but like Who Dat said, I would be very carefully about how materialistic the woman you like is. If she loves to shop, really into top of the line technology or jewelry, that might be a code red to abort mission and look elsewhere.

I know LOTS of American guys who have married Asian women, and their wives are very materialistic, they don't work, and the husband supports their shopping habits and "taste" in fashion.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:28 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,112,566 times
"Tell me, what are American women like?"

I wouldn't even know how to respond to that, other than, "well, it depends."

As for Vietnamese[-American] women, it depends in large part on how Americanized the woman is and when she came over here. Some are super duper Americanized, and the only time you deal with the Vietnamese culture is when you go to her family's house. Others are almost exclusively into Vietnamese food, TV, etc. Either case, if you are going to date one, make sure she can cook well -- Vietnamese food is awesome.

If I may generalize, I have found the Vietnamese to be really great people. Very kind, thoughtful and polite. They are often very close to their community and family -- if you are not open to dealing with their culture and customs, tread carefully.

Mick

Old 05-31-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
"Tell me, what are American women like?"

I wouldn't even know how to respond to that, other than, "well, it depends."

As for Vietnamese[-American] women, it depends in large part on how Americanized the woman is and when she came over here. Some are super duper Americanized, and the only time you deal with the Vietnamese culture is when you go to her family's house. Others are almost exclusively into Vietnamese food, TV, etc. Either case, if you are going to date one, make sure she can cook well -- Vietnamese food is awesome.

If I may generalize, I have found the Vietnamese to be really great people. Very kind, thoughtful and polite. They are often very close to their community and family -- if you are not open to dealing with their culture and customs, tread carefully.

Mick
Good post Mick.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
What are American women like? Nobody can say because they are millions of individuals.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
What are American women like? Nobody can say because they are millions of individuals.
I understand the difficulty trying to summarize millions of people and their individual traits into a few categories. (Impossible)

However if I were given the task of painting a 300 mile long fence on both sides, I'd choose a really wide brush.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 AM

Sorry to quote you botticelli but your point is the most blunt and valid (simply correct).

Old 05-31-2016, 10:32 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Maybe off topic, but ...

What does Chocolate taste like ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia