U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:41 AM

5,170 posts, read 5,112,759 times

Advertisements

Thanks for pointing that out.

If I don't know what classifies as regional cooking in my home country then I certainly won't in China. I just don't have the gift of good memory (which is why my husband got the fancy job and I didn't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 12:30 PM

78,913 posts, read 70,720,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Thanks for pointing that out.

If I don't know what classifies as regional cooking in my home country then I certainly won't in China. I just don't have the gift of good memory (which is why my husband got the fancy job and I didn't).
You need a good memory to learn a foreign language. I bet your memory's fine. If it's not, you won't do well at your language study.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You need a good memory to learn a foreign language. I bet your memory's fine. If it's not, you won't do well at your language study.
My degree was in Spanish, but I didn't practice it after graduation. I have forgotten a lot of it as a result. However, once re-exposed it comes back again quickly.

I assume the same will happen with learning Chinese. I will remember it as long as it's reinforced..

Old 06-12-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
My degree was in Spanish, but I didn't practice it after graduation. I have forgotten a lot of it as a result. However, once re-exposed it comes back again quickly.

I assume the same will happen with learning Chinese. I will remember it as long as it's reinforced..
That's normal. And it means you have a good, functional memory.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 AM

1,424 posts, read 736,898 times
The big challenge is vocabulary, because there is next to zero cognates with European languages. Even new words like computer, internet, psychology and cancer have Chinese roots with no connection to English.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
The big challenge is vocabulary, because there is next to zero cognates with European languages. Even new words like computer, internet, psychology and cancer have Chinese roots with no connection to English.
But that makes it all the more fun and fascinating. The Chinese words for some electronic things are related (which makes them easy to learn), and show inventiveness on the part of the Chinese. It's much better to make up words in the language than borrow words from other languages; it maintains the authenticity of the language.

Telephone: "electric speech"
Computer: "electric brain"
Television: "electric pictures"

I think that's very cool.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,132,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But that makes it all the more fun and fascinating. The Chinese words for some electronic things are related (which makes them easy to learn), and show inventiveness on the part of the Chinese. It's much better to make up words in the language than borrow words from other languages; it maintains the authenticity of the language.

Telephone: "electric speech"
Computer: "electric brain"
Television: "electric pictures"

I think that's very cool.
Television would be electric vision, which is kinda like television.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:54 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,196,156 times
Quote:
When you go into an American grocery store they will separate ingredients and group them according to if they are commonly found in certain areas of the world. The two most common ones I see are "Asian" and "Hispanic", but they also group European, Indian and Jewish foods in some places as well, and sometimes there will also be a sign for these groups, but most often not. As you can imagine, in the "Asian" section that is where you go to get your sesame oil, soy sauce, rice noodles, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, etc. I go to the "Hispanic" section to get my tortillas, refried beans (I usually make my own), green chilis, dried peppers (if I make my own salsa rojo), enchilada sauce, salsas, moles, dried corn husks, etc. This is also where they store the imported brands from those areas of the world. I am not familiar with the Asian section as I am the Hispanic food brands. In the Hispanic grocery aisles you find names like Bimbo, La Victoria, Abuela, San Mateo, etc..

Hispanic food includes a lot of pinto or black beans, long grain white rice, tomato, jalapeno, masa harina, banana, cumin, chiles, white onions, garlic, green onions, corn tortillas (Texmex uses flour tortillas), they like to make pico de gallo and salsas.

So when I say I want to familiarize myself with "Asian" foods I mean I want to learn how to use all the ingredients that my grocery store puts in the Asian section of the store. I mean nothing else by it.
They really need to rename that section Mexican, because none of the foods you listed are normally eaten where I'm from

Old 06-14-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They really need to rename that section Mexican, because none of the foods you listed are normally eaten where I'm from
I'm only listing the foods that I buy from the "Hispanic foods" aisle and since I was raised near the US/Mexican border and married a Mexican I try to make many dishes that my husband and I have enjoyed for all our lives.. Tex-mex and a few very basic Mexican dishes. I've only been as far down south as Costa Rica and even there we ate a lot of rice and beans... but like southern Mexico we had more black beans and slightly different spices like coriander.

Perhaps they have some ingredients that you are more familiar with??? It's all about numbers really.. no doubt that Mexicans make up most of the Hispanic population in the US so it would only make sense that grocers stock more of what Mexicans typically eat.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 PM

32,112 posts, read 33,023,250 times
Quote:
It's official! My husband has accepted a job offer that will eventually lead us to Shenzhen.

Although he'll be starting here and working through the American subsidiary soon, we won't actually make the move until late spring/early summer of 2017, so my children and I have a full year to prepare!

I want to learn to as much as possible about the culture, history and language.. what sorts of resources would you recommend?

Our community college offers introductory Chinese (and pinyin) and it's pretty close by... would this be preferred over a private company that caters to business professionals and tourists?
Private lessons would be the most individualized and probably the best way for a beginner to learn any language including Chinese and that would be the only reason to consider a private company for language lessons over a community college/university Chinese language class.

Also if you want to use social media and have full access to all websites while you are in China, I suggest subscribe to a VPN provider before arriving in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia