U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,066 times

Advertisements

[quote=califantastic;44291393]What are the best food cities in Asia?

Which is your favorite?

I have limited Asia travel experience but I would say:
1. Singapore
2. Bangkok
3. Hong Kong

Thank you for your response![/QUOT

The Hong Kong city and the food both are famous.
there are some food which are very famous in Hong Kong -1. Kau Kee Beef Brisket,
2. Australian Dairy Company-One of locals favorite place for decent, delicious and affordable all day breakfast Hong Kong style, remarkable- Hong Kong Milk Tea,
3. Yat Lok Roast Goose
4. Mak’s Noodle, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 03:20 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
CNN had a 7 deadly sins cities in Asia a few years ago and gluttony was Taipei lol.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:02 AM

76 posts, read 53,945 times
According to my personal experience, I would say these following cities in Asia have good food:

Singapore: There are so many other Asian cuisines could be found in Singapore, not just the three main cuisines (Chinese, Indian, Malay). The Indian food there was amazing, I love Thosai and Prata the most, Little India is one of my favorite place in Singapore for food. There are many good Chinese dishes could be found at the restaurants and hawker centers (I love the Teochew style dishes there especially), Chinatown and Orchard are my favorite places for Chinese food because Chinatown has good hawker centers while Orchard has many good Chinese restaurants. Malay food is also good, although I like Indonesian food better.

Kuala Lumpur: Just like Singapore, but cheaper and more affordable.

Shenzhen: I love the claypot rice and roasted pigeon there the most.

Tokyo: Very high quality food and clean, love the food at the supermarkets as well.

Bangkok: I love the Teochew style food there, the best Suckling Pig that I have eaten was at Bangkok. Very good street food as well.

Hong Kong: The dim sum there wasn't that good (the Dim Sum at here where I live, Surabaya is better) but I love the roasted meat (duck, goose, pork) and the seafood there. Hong Kong also has many good Chinese food restaurants. Cantonese style desserts are also worth to try.

Surabaya: Here at where I live, Surabaya the food is also pretty good. I could find many good restaurants and the local food here is pretty good (especially the meatball soup and tofu dishes).

Old 06-30-2016, 09:25 PM

371 posts, read 284,002 times
Great food throughout Asia, it's one of the delights of travel there. My personal favorites would be Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, & Hong Kong.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 AM

2,735 posts, read 3,266,765 times
I was treated to Singaporean food twice over the last 2 years while vacationing in The Philippines. I savored and loved everything which was served. Unbelievable blend of textures and flavors.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 831 times
Singapore is the best!

Old 07-11-2016, 09:00 AM

735 posts, read 431,177 times
Kyoto
Tokyo
Guangzhou
Hong Kong

I really like Phuket, but I know its cuisine isn't the finest.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:05 PM

4,339 posts, read 7,982,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
CNN had a 7 deadly sins cities in Asia a few years ago and gluttony was Taipei lol.
Can confirm. Just spent almost 3 weeks there. As someone who tries to maintain a low carb diet, I felt like a diabetic in Willy Wonka's factory.

You'd pretty much walk by a bakery every 15 steps.
One of the most famous eateries... Ding tai fung. Known for their soup dumplings. But also has some great fried rice, pot stickers, and beef noodle soup.
and of course, noodles and rice are staple dishes in general.
Hit a food court in a department store - it's either beef noodle soup, pork chop on rice/noodle, or various stuffed buns. Not to mention that to get to the food court, you'll be walking by isles of bakery goods (mochi, breads, cakes, etc.).

Of course, you also have all the fried foods. Hit those night markets, and its fried squid, fried chicken patties, stinky tofu, etc.

Friggin gained 10 pounds there. It was a pleasure doing it though... ;-). Albeit I probably would have gained more weight if it wasn't 95 degrees and 70% humidity the entire time (the 'real feel' was pretty much 115 every day). I never knew you could sweat while showering...

Old 07-13-2016, 09:16 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Can confirm. Just spent almost 3 weeks there. As someone who tries to maintain a low carb diet, I felt like a diabetic in Willy Wonka's factory.

You'd pretty much walk by a bakery every 15 steps.
One of the most famous eateries... Ding tai fung. Known for their soup dumplings. But also has some great fried rice, pot stickers, and beef noodle soup.
and of course, noodles and rice are staple dishes in general.
Hit a food court in a department store - it's either beef noodle soup, pork chop on rice/noodle, or various stuffed buns. Not to mention that to get to the food court, you'll be walking by isles of bakery goods (mochi, breads, cakes, etc.).

Of course, you also have all the fried foods. Hit those night markets, and its fried squid, fried chicken patties, stinky tofu, etc.

Friggin gained 10 pounds there. It was a pleasure doing it though... ;-). Albeit I probably would have gained more weight if it wasn't 95 degrees and 70% humidity the entire time (the 'real feel' was pretty much 115 every day). I never knew you could sweat while showering...
Hahaha you had me cracked at Willy Wonka's.

Personally I lost a ton of weight by leaving Taiwan and living in the land of crap food, aka Holland, for a year. I hope I won't gain all back when I get back home lol.

Anyways I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip there.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM

139 posts, read 224,555 times
I couldn't stop stuffing my face when I lived in Hong Kong.

Vietnam was definitely easiest on the wallet, though I could eat Bun Bo Hue 3 times a day and never get tired of it (and pay like $10 USD for all 3 meals).

Oddly enough, I craved American-style Chinese food the most when I was living in Shenzhen. I guess my palate had just gotten used to Kung Pao Chicken or General Tso's, which don't really exist in China.

Now that I'm living in Bali and surf all the time, I'm back in shape. I stick to the cheaper Balinese meals out here but they don't have the soul-warming kind of effect that Hong Kong food did lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or