U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 734,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
I couldn't stop stuffing my face when I lived in Hong Kong.

Vietnam was definitely easiest on the wallet, though I could eat Bun Bo Hue 3 times a day and never get tired of it (and pay like $10 USD for all 3 meals).

Oddly enough, I craved American-style Chinese food the most when I was living in Shenzhen. I guess my palate had just gotten used to Kung Pao Chicken or General Tso's, which don't really exist in China.

Now that I'm living in Bali and surf all the time, I'm back in shape. I stick to the cheaper Balinese meals out here but they don't have the soul-warming kind of effect that Hong Kong food did lol
China does have Kung Pao Chicken. It is a little outdated now, but still one of the most common dishes in China.
However, most people will not order it in restaurants. The university canteens always have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 04:38 PM

6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Quote:
Now that I'm living in Bali and surf all the time, I'm back in shape. I stick to the cheaper Balinese meals out here but they don't have the soul-warming kind of effect that Hong Kong food did lol
^Weren't you the fellow looking for a new place to move to and considering Taipei? How is Bali treating you? And how's the food?

I already gave my list earlier in the thread (Taipei, HK, Penang, Singapore) but reading this thread again is making me miss all of the food cities in Asia that I've been fortunate enough to enjoy (Manila, Bangkok, Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, etc)

Old 07-16-2016, 03:58 AM

139 posts, read 224,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
^Weren't you the fellow looking for a new place to move to and considering Taipei? How is Bali treating you? And how's the food?

I already gave my list earlier in the thread (Taipei, HK, Penang, Singapore) but reading this thread again is making me miss all of the food cities in Asia that I've been fortunate enough to enjoy (Manila, Bangkok, Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, etc)
Yup that was me

At that point, I had already lived and worked in Japan, Korea, China, and Hong Kong, and was looking for a new place to set up shop in. I taught English in Hanoi and Taipei but I began making more money from my freelance work so I went to Bali where I can live cheap and surf a lot.

The food is the only downside here IMO. For an Asian country (or island, more specifically), there's not a lot of great food from other Asian countries here.

I miss the xiao long bao's of shanghai and taipei, the dan dan mian and mala xiaomian's of chengdu, simple donburi or gyudon from japan, and good doenjang jjigae from korea.

there was this one noodle dish from hong kong i was craving so hard a few nights ago that i couldn't take it anymore and went to a convenience store at 3AM and pigged out on snacks and cookies

Old 07-17-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Yup that was me
Ah ok. I'll be sending you a DM.

Sorry for the thread hijack...back to topic, I guess not all Asian cities are created equal as shown by the opinion above about Bali. I think my choices further upthread are strong not only because of quality but diversity of that quality as well.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:19 PM

17,241 posts, read 10,169,578 times
Mumbai
Chenai
Hyderabad

Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 AM

23 posts, read 19,855 times
Bangkok always offer something that you never try before. add Denpasar/bali also nice.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:23 PM

46 posts, read 26,525 times
1)Hong Kong
2)Bangkok
3)Singapore

Old 08-17-2016, 04:43 PM

315 posts, read 223,052 times
Some of the best Chinese food I have had was in India. In part, it is because they introduce a tiny element of Indian spices to the Chinese food. It does make the food delicious.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:27 PM

^have you been to Malaysia?

Old 08-21-2016, 03:46 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
China does have Kung Pao Chicken. It is a little outdated now, but still one of the most common dishes in China.
However, most people will not order it in restaurants. The university canteens always have it.
Kung pao chicken, ma pa tofu, chao mien/chow mein, chao fan/fried rice, Peking roast duck, and a good number of other common American Chinese dishes are also common here with some flavor variance. After having spent almost my entire adult life in CA, I can say with honesty that the flavor variances in the LA and SF areas are quite minute. I've cooked American style General's, Orange, and Lemon sauce to serve with battered and fried tofu or chicken for Chinese people a number of times and they liked it.

You can also get sweet and sour pork easily in Guangdong and HK; it's less common in other provinces.

Young people are much more into spicier Szechuan and Hunan cuisines, and to a lesser extent, Xinjiang food, which uses a lot of cumin, than older folks. Hot pot is really huge here and going through a big popular boom at the moment. One of the bar streets here in GZ has twenty hot pot restaurants in two blocks, all of which do a brisk business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or