U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for an young expat?
Shenzhen 8 44.44%
Shanghai 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:24 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
That's odd, because in Shenzhen, where I stayed for 4 months due to my job assignment, I encountered several occasions when young kids literally squatted right on main walkways to take a poop, with grandpas or grandmas looking on as if nothing is wrong. I still remember these encounters vividly. There are also recent incidents in the news of Chinese letting their kids poop right in the aisles of airplanes.

As for dog meat, I am no more pathological than the 30% of the Chinese surveyed who admit to having eaten dog meat and believe that torturing live dogs first before boiling them alive makes their meat more tender. They also inadvertently support the black market in pet stealing and of selling stolen pets for food. China is still the sick men of Asia.

The OP is going to live in China, and it's only right to let him know the ugly side of the country so that he isn't shocked when he gets there.

Here is a nice video footage of Chinese peasants in Yulin hawking dog meats. A highly "evolved" country with a 5000 year "civilization" indeed.

Yulin Dog Meat Festival 2016: Animal activists save caged dogs from slaughter | Asia | News | The Independent
Enough with that already... most of us are sick of your dog obsession.

Most Chinese I know condemn such behavior too. Even today some friend on my wechat was criticizing it. It is not a nation wide hobby, trust me. Plenty of my friends have dogs as pet and treat them like spoiled kids.

As to kids pooping on the sidewalk, well you see what you want to see. but I have no intention of denying the issues with social behavior among many Chinese people - as I said, this was one of the reasons I left. However, it is not fair for you to give the OP the impression you likely see such behavior on a regular basis. I really don't remember ever seeing that in Shanghai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,128 times
Shanghai is much better

Old 06-23-2016, 01:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 734,340 times
Yulin does not represent China. 600 other Chinese cities do not have a dog meat festival.
If you live in a normal Chinese city, you probably won't see any dog meat in decades (unless you intentionally look for them.)

I just do not want people to be misinformed by pennyone.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:42 PM

Personally, I do not like tropical or near-tropical cities. I lived in Texas for a while and hated it.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:51 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,607,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Yulin does not represent China. 600 other Chinese cities do not have a dog meat festival.
If you live in a normal Chinese city, you probably won't see any dog meat in decades (unless you intentionally look for them.)

I just do not want people to be misinformed by pennyone.
Right. And where do you think 10 million dogs and cats that are consumed each year by the Chinese are all being eaten? They are not all eaten in Yulin during one solstice festival alone. The latest survey by Beijing University states that more than 30% of the Chinese surveyed across China have eaten dogs or cats. It's well across the whole country, and I highly doubt you can go for a decade in China without running into some of the 30% of the Chinese who eat dos and cats.

I am not trying to misinform people. You can do your own research and see the stats. And, it's not simply the choice to eat dog or not, it's the illegal nature of getting the dog meat, and the incredibly cruel way the dogs and cats are killed that is so horrific.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Right. And where do you think 10 million dogs and cats that are consumed each year by the Chinese are all being eaten? They are not all eaten in Yulin during one solstice festival alone. The latest survey by Beijing University states that more than 30% of the Chinese surveyed across China have eaten dogs or cats. It's well across the whole country, and I highly doubt you can go for a decade in China without running into some of the 30% of the Chinese who eat dos and cats.

I am not trying to misinform people. You can do your own research and see the stats. And, it's not simply the choice to eat dog or not, it's the illegal nature of getting the dog meat, and the incredibly cruel way the dogs and cats are killed that is so horrific.
Everyone who lives in China knows dog meat is not commonly seen (except in a few cities), unless you intentionally look for such places.
I lived in three Chinese cities for over 4 years each, and did not see any dog meat in any of them. However I did see it when I traveled to Maoming City of Guangdong.

Do not post false information here.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:39 PM

22,101 posts, read 23,627,108 times
For the question at hand--unless money is pretty tight, Shanghai will likely be better. Keep in mind that both cities are physically quite large (Shanghai being much, much larger). I think if it were me, I'd look into where specifically in either city you'd be working. I've met people who were offered a job in Shanghai and then later realized they were way out in the boonies while still technically in Shanghai.

Quote:

Where'd you get those stats? It'd be interesting to actually see the primary sources.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 11,866,793 times
I say go for Shenzhen for the better climate and close proximity to Hong Kong which is an awesome city. I spent some time in Shenzhen and while you will see weird stuff there if you're coming from the west, you learn to either deal with it or tune it out.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:00 PM

1,853 posts, read 3,415,954 times
Sheesh, a poll and inquiry into which city is better to live in, Shanghai or Shenzhen, breaks down into an argument about dog meat!

Eating dog meat used to be very common during past generations but now the practice has mostly ceased except done secretly. It has long been outlawed in Hong Kong (even Alfonzo Wong's manga hero Old Master Q made reference to the illegality of it) and with all sorts of fluid injections given to dogs these days, a great many anyone would not want to eat a dog nowadays.

Now back to the original topic. Shanghai is a centuries old city with a rich dialect and culture, which back during the days of the Republic, was looked upon with high honor by many Chinese (not so much by Westerners who called it the "Brothel of the Far East"). The qipao style of dress worn by women for decades originated in Shanghai. I've never been there myself though I have relatives and friends that have in the past. From what I've heard, Shanghai is fast changing and growing but there are still parts of it with equal historic charm (I don't think the Bund will ever go away). I've tasted Shanghainese cuisine both in Hong Kong and in the States and it is stellar with lots of seafood, vegetable, and meat options. The one thing to look out for among Shanghainese is at times an air of superiority because they have long been so culturally superior but in such a big city, I am confident many people are friendly and down to earth too.

I have visited Shenzhen several times on the other hand. I personally do not like Shenzhen, I feel it's more of an edge city with some vibrancy but no soul to it. Actually there are parts of Shenzhen that are not vibrant and struggling a lot, the place is too centered on tourism IMO. I've had relatives who have been robbed in Shenzhen in the past and although this can happen in any major city including Shanghai, I think the glaring statistics of a mostly young and transient population, rags and riches side by side, and the proximity to Hong Kong and the Golden Triangle all contribute to a sense of higher than average crime. Too bad the OP is not offered the relocation to Hong Kong or Guangzhou because both are culturally and historically richer than Shenzhen. BTW, Shenzhen attracts recent Chinese from all parts of the Middle Kingdom. Just set foot in Lo Wu City, the mega shopping arcade across from the Hong Kong border and you could hear so many Chinese dialects you'd think you were in some sort of Chinese Babylon!

Old 06-24-2016, 09:20 PM

1,089 posts, read 477,070 times
If someone drives you around in those cities, you may have better ideas on what those cities look like.

Here, Shenzhen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdMG-FWqKcM

and Shanghai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw7o0O7gG2A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or