U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for an young expat?
Shenzhen 8 44.44%
Shanghai 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:48 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times

Advertisements

I prefer Shenzhen. The weather, geography with warmer weather and access to beaches and cities like HK, GZ, ZH, Macau, and of course the relative lack of pollution seal it for me. Shanghainese food is bland to the point it's ignored across most of the rest of China, it is far too expensive, there's an arrogant social undercurrent, and the pollution is so bad that some days you can't see fifty feet ahead. No thanks. Honestly, traditional culture and history don't mean much unless you're a tourist or a history buff and want to spend your leisure time going to museums and doing things that no normal person actually does in their day to day life.

Yes, you see kids popping squats on the street on occasion - maybe every month or two in CBD's, weekly in more working class urban areas, almost-daily in rural areas. More common is seeing little kids peeing on sidewalks, trees, etc... The weirdest thing is seeing a doting grandma jovially holding her grandson's pecker while he indifferently lets rip into a sink or trash can. You get used to it after awhile.

Dog meat is uncommon and looked down upon by most Chinese people, especially young people. You can find it if you really want to, but it's not like you're going to get served dog meat at a McDonald's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:47 AM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
Shenzhen

Better climate.

Shanghai gets pretty chilly in winter and a lot of building lack central heating.

Shenzhen climate is more like Hong Kong.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:49 PM

1,854 posts, read 3,417,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Shenzhen

Better climate.

Shanghai gets pretty chilly in winter and a lot of building lack central heating.

Shenzhen climate is more like Hong Kong.
That's only if the O.P. likes or at least doesn't mind subtropical climate. I myself happen to like chilly winters and detest long, hot, and humid summers. You practically need the air conditioning on for 8-9 months of the year in Shenzhen and Hong Kong or else you will boil!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:13 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
That's only if the O.P. likes or at least doesn't mind subtropical climate. I myself happen to like chilly winters and detest long, hot, and humid summers. You practically need the air conditioning on for 8-9 months of the year in Shenzhen and Hong Kong or else you will boil!
8-9 months is too exaggerating. In Taiwan people usually start turning on AC from May to early October, which is like 4-5 months. I'd say that HK and Shenzhen are more or less the same.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:21 PM

1,424 posts, read 734,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
8-9 months is too exaggerating. In Taiwan people usually start turning on AC from May to early October, which is like 4-5 months. I'd say that HK and Shenzhen are more or less the same.
(White) Americans are more afraid of heat than Asians. For them 25 C room temperature is already "too hot". In office buildings the temperature is often set to 22 C or lower in summer.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:26 AM

I prefer heat to cold; this said, the first year I was here, I poured sweat due to the humidity. This is my third summer here, and I'm now mostly used to it - I can walk outside in the sun for an hour and my shirt isn't saturated with sweat, whereas the first year, as soon as I left my airconditioned bedroom, I started sweating, and by the time I was downstairs, I could practically wring my shirt out

This year, I started putting on the AC at home about three weeks ago, set to 25 degrees. I'll probably keep using it until late September or early October.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:04 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Weather is one factor. Shenzhen is indeed a very boring and unattractive city with very little substance. To say it is even remotely comparable to Shanghai is laughable. Let me say that again, if Shanghai is the NYC of China, Shenzhen is like Houston or San Jose, not even Boston, Chicago , LA or San Fran.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
I personally would choose Shenzhen just for its proximity to Hong Kong. Unless you have VPN arrangements made in advance, be prepared in PRC to be isolated from your social media friends. The Great Firewall blocks facebook, pretty much all Google services including Gmail, twitter, Instagram, flickr, etc. I buy a HK SIM card whenever I go to China because I use these sites to maintain contact with lots of families and friends, and uses Gmail for business/work purposes. Within China, I have to switch to Baidu and Wechat. While I understand people from mainland China are more attracted to Shanghai, and the nearby cities of Suzhou, Hangzhou and Nanjing do indeed have more history and culture to offer; for people from outside the mainland, a trip to Hong Kong or Macau is a breath of fresh air. The cleaner air (compared to Shanghai), the Internet without firewalls, the more international selection for shopping and dining, etc. mean a lot, even if you just go to HK once every week, every fortnight or every month.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:39 PM

There are plenty of reasons someone would choose San Jose or Houston over NYC, just like there are plenty of reasons to choose SZ over SH. Weather is a valid one. Pollution is a valid one. COL/QOL is, too. So is proximity to HK, GZ, and Macao - if you're going to tout the proximity of Shanghai to a few small ancient cultural cities, there's no reason you can't do the same for SZ and places that are probably more relevant to day to day, modern life.

Depending on the visa you have, you might have a term of stay in China that necessitates exiting and re-entering every 30, 60, or 90 days. If this is the case for you, then SZ is a way better choice, since you just basically walk across the border and back at will. It takes maybe a couple hours. If you're in SH, you will have to go to Inner Mongolia, SK, or Japan. Huge inconvenience and also more expensive.

Trips to HK and Macao are a breath of fresh air for expats, and SZ is well known as a place that's friendly to expats and has a large number of permanently settled foreigners and the community and amenities to support them. It's as valid as Chinese expats desiring proximity to an area with a large Overseas Chinese community, and deciding that the greater Bay Area or SGV/SFV are preferable to NYC, DC, etc.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:59 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There are plenty of reasons someone would choose San Jose or Houston over NYC, just like there are plenty of reasons to choose SZ over SH. Weather is a valid one. Pollution is a valid one. COL/QOL is, too. So is proximity to HK, GZ, and Macao - if you're going to tout the proximity of Shanghai to a few small ancient cultural cities, there's no reason you can't do the same for SZ and places that are probably more relevant to day to day, modern life.

Depending on the visa you have, you might have a term of stay in China that necessitates exiting and re-entering every 30, 60, or 90 days. If this is the case for you, then SZ is a way better choice, since you just basically walk across the border and back at will. It takes maybe a couple hours. If you're in SH, you will have to go to Inner Mongolia, SK, or Japan. Huge inconvenience and also more expensive.

Trips to HK and Macao are a breath of fresh air for expats, and SZ is well known as a place that's friendly to expats and has a large number of permanently settled foreigners and the community and amenities to support them. It's as valid as Chinese expats desiring proximity to an area with a large Overseas Chinese community, and deciding that the greater Bay Area or SGV/SFV are preferable to NYC, DC, etc.
Of course it is fine to choose San Jose over NYC. What I wanted to point out is Shenzhen is San Jose equivalent, not a San Franciso or Los Angeles. It is not comparable to Shanghai by a long shot. It has the boringness and high price of San Jose, the jobs, warmer weather minus the access to mountains and great scenarios. Just don't expect it to be an interesting city.

Being close to HK has zero significance on the choice so I won't comment on that. Shanghai is just as welcoming to expats as Shenzhen and it had a much longer history of accommodating foreigners too. I don't think Shenzhen has any advantage in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or