U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 06:59 PM

5,161 posts, read 5,103,537 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how the internet speeds compare between Shenzhen and Hong Kong? My husband said the speeds in PR China are much, much slower than HK for this reason, would prefer to live in HK and commute to SZ. And if this is true, would a VPN thing I keep hearing about be a good fix?

My husband is mostly worried about our autistic son when we move. He's pretty obsessed with some youtube video bloggers and although a lot will change in terms of our routines and expectations of him (new job = more money = more resources = busy kid) we know it's extremely important to allow him some "comforts from home", especially in the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 09:05 AM

735 posts, read 432,006 times
I think the Internet speed depends on the ISP. Theoretically you can pay a premium for faster Internet in Shenzhen. But if you use VPN, the speed will slow down significantly.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:55 AM

501 posts, read 462,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Does anyone know how the internet speeds compare between Shenzhen and Hong Kong? My husband said the speeds in PR China are much, much slower than HK for this reason, would prefer to live in HK and commute to SZ. And if this is true, would a VPN thing I keep hearing about be a good fix?

My husband is mostly worried about our autistic son when we move. He's pretty obsessed with some youtube video bloggers and although a lot will change in terms of our routines and expectations of him (new job = more money = more resources = busy kid) we know it's extremely important to allow him some "comforts from home", especially in the beginning.
Youtube is blocked in China so you are going to have to use a VPN which can be unreliable (depending on the vpn provider) and will definitely slow down your connection. On average your connection should be fast enough for youtube, but it may have to pause and buffer a bit more than you are used to.

Internet speeds in Hong Kong are very fast and youtube plays just like you would expect it to. Internet access is also cheap compared to the US and you will not have to pay extra for the VPN.

VPN = Virtual Private Network, which in this case basically just provides a computer outside of China that you route all of your internet traffic through to get around China's internet censorship. China's firewall will not let you directly access youtube, for example, so instead you access some other random computer that China's firewall doesn't block and then that computer accesses youtube for you and forwards all the data back to you. This is guaranteed to slow you down, as you have introduced this extra stop on your way to youtube, but depending on how good the VPN provider is it may not slow you down that much.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:01 PM

Thank you. We'll see what we can do. I think our plan will be to stay in Shenzhen and spend a weekend or two each month in Hong Kong. The kid can "earn" his trip and binge out on youtube with little brother in the hotel while I skip out to do some shopping! It's probably cheaper than the alternative.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:20 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
Quote:
Thank you. We'll see what we can do. I think our plan will be to stay in Shenzhen and spend a weekend or two each month in Hong Kong. The kid can "earn" his trip and binge out on youtube with little brother in the hotel while I skip out to do some shopping! It's probably cheaper than the alternative.
That sounds like a lot of fun! And also expensive lol.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:40 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Youtube is blocked in China so you are going to have to use a VPN which can be unreliable (depending on the vpn provider) and will definitely slow down your connection. On average your connection should be fast enough for youtube, but it may have to pause and buffer a bit more than you are used to.

Internet speeds in Hong Kong are very fast and youtube plays just like you would expect it to. Internet access is also cheap compared to the US and you will not have to pay extra for the VPN.

VPN = Virtual Private Network, which in this case basically just provides a computer outside of China that you route all of your internet traffic through to get around China's internet censorship. China's firewall will not let you directly access youtube, for example, so instead you access some other random computer that China's firewall doesn't block and then that computer accesses youtube for you and forwards all the data back to you. This is guaranteed to slow you down, as you have introduced this extra stop on your way to youtube, but depending on how good the VPN provider is it may not slow you down that much.
All Western social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) is blocked in Mainland China and one can access it using VPN. But there is no such problem in Hong Kong.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
That sounds like a lot of fun! And also expensive lol.
Yeah, I'm wondering about that... how much for a single room, quadruple occupancy for a night, 2-3 star hotel?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm wondering about that... how much for a single room, quadruple occupancy for a night, 2-3 star hotel?
Actually I don't know. I hear all the time that it's extremely expensive but I've never actually looked for myself as my family has a place there. I've looked at airbnb for multiple month rentals and there are some really decent prices, so perhaps airbnb might give you better options. But again, I've only looked at long term rentals.

I will say that all the hotel rooms that I have seen are strikingly tiny. They're almost like a closet! Also tangentially related but just popped into my head...be prepared for hard beds. People in this region like to sleep on hard mattresses and the hotel rooms I've visited certainly demonstrated this. My friends were given memory foam tops to soften their beds and it was still hard as bricks.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Actually I don't know. I hear all the time that it's extremely expensive but I've never actually looked for myself as my family has a place there. I've looked at airbnb for multiple month rentals and there are some really decent prices, so perhaps airbnb might give you better options. But again, I've only looked at long term rentals.

I will say that all the hotel rooms that I have seen are strikingly tiny. They're almost like a closet! Also tangentially related but just popped into my head...be prepared for hard beds. People in this region like to sleep on hard mattresses and the hotel rooms I've visited certainly demonstrated this. My friends were given memory foam tops to soften their beds and it was still hard as bricks.

Okay, I'll not be lazy and look it up.

Hard mattresses, huh.... that's actually *really* good to know. That will definitely present a challenge for my beauty rest (I guess like most Americans I love my fluffy, soft pillow top mattress). I know there is an IKEA in Shenzhen... all our bed stuff is actually from IKEA so maybe there is a chance the IKEA there will have what we need. I'm hoping our rental comes partially or fully furnished though. Hotels will just have to be as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or