U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 10:21 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,618,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Nope China is very disliked at this moment just listen to Trump's anti-China rhetoric it rings true with a large swath of Americans currently. China is the new Russia.
I hope the US can give China even just a portion of the respect that it gives Russia. Moscow may be disliked in the US, but it is certainly respected by the US government. I don't think the US government fear or respect the Chinese government because it's run by a bunch of old metaphorical eunuchs whose kids are in the us living large and easily potential hostages should thing go south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:37 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,363,470 times
"China and Asean members agreed on Monday to avoid basing people on now-uninhabited islands and reefs in the disputed South China Sea, as the bloc made its first official joint statement on the waters since an international tribunal ruling this month."

China and Asean reach deal on uninhabited South China Sea islands | South China Morning Post

Old 07-26-2016, 01:31 PM

542 posts, read 490,195 times
Hmmm, "not so fast my friend..."

China reclamation using PH soil

Old 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
Hmmm, "not so fast my friend..."

China reclamation using PH soil
The Philippines is poor and they need all the forex they can get. So if the Chinese are going to build on Scarsborough, which they already completely control, then the Filipinos might as well make the best of it and sell them the soil. I think it's a win-win. Seriously the Philippines will be far better off in so many ways if they will just play nice with China. The US has no intention of investing or economically help develop the Phillipines. But China can and will if the filipinos play nice in the SCS. It's a no brainer.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:40 PM

542 posts, read 490,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
The Philippines is poor and they need all the forex they can get. So if the Chinese are going to build on Scarsborough, which they already completely control, then the Filipinos might as well make the best of it and sell them the soil. I think it's a win-win. Seriously the Philippines will be far better off in so many ways if they will just play nice with China. The US has no intention of investing or economically help develop the Phillipines. But China can and will if the filipinos play nice in the SCS. It's a no brainer.
I'm honestly on the fence, with a population of roughly 100M is it time to step into and give it a go? Or would it be best to cater or cower to the powers that are present in the region.

Personally, I'm all for thumbing the nose at the establishment, but hey, "that's just me" and I'm incapable of making good decisions for the whole. If in power, I'd probably end up like Polpot.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
The Philippines may be poor but its economy is healthy and increasing at nice pace now. The Philippines is definitely not desperate for forex. Trade with China and the Philippines go on as usual although the US and Japan are larger trading partners for the Philippines. The Philippines is not Venezuela and there is no need to sell soil for the purpose of building up Scarborough Shoal. China is a big customer of Philippine mining ore and the quantity just reduced due to lower mining ore prices, slower Chinese economy and more stringent environmental protection laws in the Philippines. Businesses from both sides actually ignore the South China Sea dispute.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,363,470 times
US Navy to China: We're staying in South China Sea - CNNPolitics.com

Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 AM

Yes, of course, using my tax dollars to sail around showboating and keeping the US military relevant. All the while the Chinese build islands and gain real asset for their money.

What exactly does the US get out of these sail by? Show the flag? Make our allies feel safe? Make americans feel like they have a collective big d$3ck? Expensive proposition.

These sail by do not stop China from anything. In fact they offer good excuses for China to militarize more intensely all across the SCS.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 AM

1,089 posts, read 479,075 times
Sailing under the big gun of carrier killer DF-21D, what's the point? Without bases in the Philippines, logistic replenishment is costly too.

The Philippines is a poor third world country that needs peace and stability. The last thing it needs is a second Vietnam War. Vietnam War started with South Vietnam inviting US to fight North Vietnam.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
Sailing under the big gun of carrier killer DF-21D, what's the point? Without bases in the Philippines, logistic replenishment is costly too.

The Philippines is a poor third world country that needs peace and stability. The last thing it needs is a second Vietnam War. Vietnam War started with South Vietnam inviting US to fight North Vietnam.
Yup, a third world country that is fit to be just a use and abused pawn of powerful countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or