U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2016, 12:04 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I am noting again that the title of this thread is false. The U N did not rule anything. The arbitration court has NOTHING to do with the UN. In fact, the UN specifically made this clear and distant itself from the decision when it first came out.

These kind of sloppy misinformation is what the western media use to muddy the situation and smear China.
I mentioned this a few times already.


Western media made the mistake at first, constantly talking about the "UN". And after realize it was wrong, they constantly mention The Hague.


The Hague is just a small city in a small country. Keeping mentioning "The Hague" doesn't give the BS ruling any more authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The global times is worthless... A state owned tabloid, really. Its supposed to be the CCP's mouthpiece to the world, but they seem to forget that the rest of the world is not China.
Why the Global Times is a questionable newspaper, you can't dismiss things based on the source. Judge it based on what it says, please.


Is the CNN any better than Global Times? I don't think so. Both brainwashing government mouthpiece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 03:09 PM
 
4,694 posts, read 3,619,623 times
Reputation: 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The biggest smear on China is actually the actions of its own citizens and commercial enterprises. The wholesale environmental destruction that has been wrought by Chinese fishing fleets in the area is pretty distressing. I'm not sure I care who stewards the land, but it's a shame to have such an amazingly terrible steward.
The US and western countries have been there, done that too, though I agree that China should not repeat the mistakes of others. In the same vein, others who benefit from the western exploitation of earth, both past and present, really have no right to be so morally self righteous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 03:11 PM
 
4,694 posts, read 3,619,623 times
Reputation: 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why the Global Times is a questionable newspaper, you can't dismiss things based on the source. Judge it based on what it says, please.


Is the CNN any better than Global Times? I don't think so. Both brainwashing government mouthpiece.
I just wish the Chinese leaders do what the Global Times say they should or would do....grow a pair, Beijing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2016, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,365,753 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why the Global Times is a questionable newspaper, you can't dismiss things based on the source. Judge it based on what it says, please.


Is the CNN any better than Global Times? I don't think so. Both brainwashing government mouthpiece.
CNN isn't perfect by any stretch and certainly has its biases, but it's world better than the Global Times. At least CNN will put up things that are critical of the US or its government. You'll never see that come out of GT. If you actually believe they are one in the same, you're nuts! GT is basically just a collection of op-eds boosting China's achievements and inherent goodness, not an actual new journal, and certainly not "global." It's more like Fox News, if Fox News was owned and operated by the US government.

Of course you can dismiss things based on the source; say you have a distant relative who's been in and out of jail for fraud, and they tell you that they can triple your investment if you just loan em $5k, or some tweaker tells you he knows where you can go to see UFO's at night. You can dismiss these peoples' information and statements based on their past inability to be truthful and/or comprehend reality.

I can see where it would appeal to overseas Chinese who feel left out of their adopted societies or foreigners who feel a sense of guilt and lack of belonging to their home, as a sort of "YEAH! THAT'S RIGHT! CHINA IS AWESOME!" fist-pumping, brain-dead nationalist catharsis. Shame none of it is legit.

And I am judging it based on what it says... it's total BS. "We must take revenge! We should warn and strike them." That's garbage. They shouldn't do it, and they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone
I just wish the Chinese leaders do what the Global Times say they should or would do....grow a pair, Beijing!
And they never will. As I've said before: this macho saber-rattling won't help anyone. China can go ahead and keep saying and doing whatever it wants. They'll built their little islands and the US and whoever else feels like it will sail and fly right by them. You can get misty-eyed over their "shiny new Sukhois," which are an update of a nearly thirty year old design and wouldn't be able to defend themselves against American aircraft in a fight. It doesn't matter. They're not going to do anything, and that's the reason that they're in power, and laypeople aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2016, 03:12 AM
 
4,694 posts, read 3,619,623 times
Reputation: 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
CNN isn't perfect by any stretch and certainly has its biases, but it's world better than the Global Times. At least CNN will put up things that are critical of the US or its government. You'll never see that come out of GT. If you actually believe they are one in the same, you're nuts! GT is basically just a collection of op-eds boosting China's achievements and inherent goodness, not an actual new journal, and certainly not "global." It's more like Fox News, if Fox News was owned and operated by the US government.

Of course you can dismiss things based on the source; say you have a distant relative who's been in and out of jail for fraud, and they tell you that they can triple your investment if you just loan em $5k, or some tweaker tells you he knows where you can go to see UFO's at night. You can dismiss these peoples' information and statements based on their past inability to be truthful and/or comprehend reality.

I can see where it would appeal to overseas Chinese who feel left out of their adopted societies or foreigners who feel a sense of guilt and lack of belonging to their home, as a sort of "YEAH! THAT'S RIGHT! CHINA IS AWESOME!" fist-pumping, brain-dead nationalist catharsis. Shame none of it is legit.

And I am judging it based on what it says... it's total BS. "We must take revenge! We should warn and strike them." That's garbage. They shouldn't do it, and they won't.


And they never will. As I've said before: this macho saber-rattling won't help anyone. China can go ahead and keep saying and doing whatever it wants. They'll built their little islands and the US and whoever else feels like it will sail and fly right by them. You can get misty-eyed over their "shiny new Sukhois," which are an update of a nearly thirty year old design and wouldn't be able to defend themselves against American aircraft in a fight. It doesn't matter. They're not going to do anything, and that's the reason that they're in power, and laypeople aren't.
You don't know the first thing about those shiny Sukhois, and even less the J 20s so I don't know how you can make such grandios statement about how worthless they are. The only country that might sail into the SCS for now with impunity is the US, and it is doing so very carefully and staying out of the 12 mile zone. Try letting the Japanese or the Australians do the same around Chinese islands and I am not so sure China will be so tolerant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2016, 07:24 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
CNN isn't perfect by any stretch and certainly has its biases, but it's world better than the Global Times. At least CNN will put up things that are critical of the US or its government. You'll never see that come out of GT. If you actually believe they are one in the same, you're nuts! GT is basically just a collection of op-eds boosting China's achievements and inherent goodness, not an actual new journal, and certainly not "global." It's more like Fox News, if Fox News was owned and operated by the US government.

Of course you can dismiss things based on the source; say you have a distant relative who's been in and out of jail for fraud, and they tell you that they can triple your investment if you just loan em $5k, or some tweaker tells you he knows where you can go to see UFO's at night. You can dismiss these peoples' information and statements based on their past inability to be truthful and/or comprehend reality.

I can see where it would appeal to overseas Chinese who feel left out of their adopted societies or foreigners who feel a sense of guilt and lack of belonging to their home, as a sort of "YEAH! THAT'S RIGHT! CHINA IS AWESOME!" fist-pumping, brain-dead nationalist catharsis. Shame none of it is legit.

And I am judging it based on what it says... it's total BS. "We must take revenge! We should warn and strike them." That's garbage. They shouldn't do it, and they won't.
I know GT is far more atrocious than CNN. It is just reading both makes me sick. CNN reporting can be outright inflammatory with their dramatic tones and tailor-made images.


And believe me, I am not a Chinese nationalist. China is awesome? I am not stupid to say that. It has a long way to go to be awesome. Yesterday a civil right lawyer was jailed for 7 years for speaking against the government on the tainted milk scandal, under the crime of "subversion". The Chinese news didn't even mention what the original case is about. It makes me disgusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2016, 09:30 AM
 
4,694 posts, read 3,619,623 times
Reputation: 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I know GT is far more atrocious than CNN. It is just reading both makes me sick. CNN reporting can be outright inflammatory with their dramatic tones and tailor-made images.


And believe me, I am not a Chinese nationalist. China is awesome? I am not stupid to say that. It has a long way to go to be awesome. Yesterday a civil right lawyer was jailed for 7 years for speaking against the government on the tainted milk scandal, under the crime of "subversion". The Chinese news didn't even mention what the original case is about. It makes me disgusted.
Lots of problems in China. Your human rights? I say there are too many ignorant Chinese still kicking around for actual democracy to work...too many ignorant and uneducated Chinese around. Just yesterday, a man in an SUV was stopped on a Chinese highway because he was dragging his dog to death behind his SUV deliberately! He was beaten up by onlookers who couldn't believe what he did, but China has no animal cruelty law and so the police couldn't even charge him for cruelty. The the only justice this guy gets is the vigilante kind from onlookers. So yes, China is ugly in so many ways. But that does not mean China is always wrong on foreign affairs, or on issues of sovereignty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2016, 01:40 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Lots of problems in China. Your human rights? I say there are too many ignorant Chinese still kicking around for actual democracy to work...too many ignorant and uneducated Chinese around. Just yesterday, a man in an SUV was stopped on a Chinese highway because he was dragging his dog to death behind his SUV deliberately! He was beaten up by onlookers who couldn't believe what he did, but China has no animal cruelty law and so the police couldn't even charge him for cruelty. The the only justice this guy gets is the vigilante kind from onlookers. So yes, China is ugly in so many ways. But that does not mean China is always wrong on foreign affairs, or on issues of sovereignty.
I completely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2016, 06:00 PM
 
149 posts, read 137,318 times
Reputation: 107
Exclamation USA "Island Building" in the North Pacific

ABOUT THE SAME SIZE AS THE SOUTH CHINA SEA - Kawaii to Midway Atoll

USA claims 600,000 square miles of the North Pacific Ocean as a National Monument Friday 8/26/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
... The only country that might sail into the SCS for now with impunity is the US, and it is doing so very carefully and staying out of the 12 mile zone ...
Obama used a presidential proclamation to expand the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument off the coast of Hawaii by over 400,000 square miles. The preserve now stretches 582,578 square miles, the world's largest marine protected area...

Marked in RED



Pew Applauds Expansion of Papah

NO ASIAN FISHERMAN HERE ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top