U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 04:44 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Actually China's claim inherited what ROC had. The official ROC map is still larger than current PRC.
Claiming is nothing. Canada and Denmark claim a same tiny island near Greenland yet there's no bad blood between them. A whole bunch of countries claim Antarctica yet nothing ever happens down south.

China claimed and took provocative actions, that's when the whole mess began. Before that, that area was mostly peaceful for decades despite all the overlapping claims from all the countries nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
The US does not seem to have a problem with its allies occupying Northern Cyprus, Western Sahara, and the Golan Heights; all of which are considered to be illegal under international law.
Because the US has no interest in those places, so it could not care less, on the contrary it has a lot to watch out for in SCS?

Besides, the ruling has nothing to deal with America. None of the arbitrators were American (as America is not a contracting state of UNCLOS) and the country name United States was not even mentioned once in the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Your beloved taiwan also lost its Taiping Island status because that island is now officially just a reef, according to the ruling. which then cannot claim any 12 miles exclusion zone or economic zone. While China will continue to do whatever it wants and give the court the finger because it's a big dog, little taiwan, which is carrying the legacy of the ROC (whose claim is exactly the same as the current claim by China's 9 dash line by the way) cannot do anything about being screwed.
Sure, but we don't care, that's the difference. We never exercised the 200 miles EEZ and we never planned on doing so. The government officials will say that they are not happy with the decision and maybe ***** about it for a couple of days, but that's about it, we are not butthurt like the Chinese are. Taiwan isn't expansionist, a reef without any living soul (except for a handful of soldiers who can easily fly back home) on it is of our least concern.

And I suggest China to put more efforts into the aftermath of their ugliest floods since the 90s than on such meaningless crap. It's quite amusing how the beloved XDD seems to care far more about these stupid, lameass rocks that have absolutely 0 influence on his people's daily lives than the 30+ million actual human-beings affected by the godawful disaster, but I guess that's China for you.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:13 PM

1,424 posts, read 734,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Sure, but we don't care, that's the difference. We never exercised the 200 miles EEZ and we never planned on doing so. The government officials will say that they are not happy with the decision and maybe ***** about it for a couple of days, but that's about it, we are not butthurt like the Chinese are. Taiwan isn't expansionist, a reef without any living soul (except for a handful of soldiers who can easily fly back home) on it is of our least concern.

And I suggest China to put more efforts into the aftermath of their ugliest floods since the 90s than on such meaningless crap. It's quite amusing how the beloved XDD seems to care far more about these stupid, lameass rocks that have absolutely 0 influence on his people's daily lives than the 30+ million actual human-beings affected by the disaster, but I guess that's China for you.
A big nation is a big nation. Being perceived weak is unacceptable both domestically and internationally.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
A big nation is a big nation. Being perceived weak is unacceptable both domestically and internationally.
Well good luck then.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,813,921 times
Quote:
Claiming is nothing. Canada and Denmark claim a same tiny island near Greenland yet there's no bad blood between them. A whole bunch of countries claim Antarctica yet nothing ever happens down south.

China claimed and took provocative actions, that's when the whole mess began. Before that, that area was mostly peaceful for decades despite all the overlapping claims from all the countries nearby.

Because the US has no interest in those places, so it could not care less, on the contrary it has a lot to watch out for in SCS?

Besides, the ruling has nothing to deal with America. None of the arbitrators were American (as America is not a contracting state of UNCLOS) and the country name United States was not even mentioned once in the decision.
Turkey and Israel aren't important to the US? Turkey's occupation of Northern Cyprus is one of the biggest barriers to its EU membership, which America wants to see happen.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:54 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,647 times
Quote:
There won't be sanctions, the ruling is not binding.

It just makes China lose face, and China hates losing face.
Losing face has to be one of those oft-quoted phrases that I don't understand. Both Chinese government and individual Chinese tourists have committed lots of shameful and embarrassing actions, but they seem to just ignore them. I believe that thick-skinned is a more appropriate description. I found few instances where I can truly say people from China are afraid of "losing face".

Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,813,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Losing face has to be one of those oft-quoted phrases that I don't understand. Both Chinese government and individual Chinese tourists have committed lots of shameful and embarrassing actions, but they seem to just ignore them. I believe that thick-skinned is a more appropriate description. I found few instances where I can truly say people from China are afraid of "losing face".
I am surprised people actually think China cares about maintaining respectability internationally. China has such a negative reputation in the West (media and etc), which the Chinese are fully aware of, that the vast majority of Chinese people and China itself don't even bother to even pretend to care what foreigners have to say anymore. This is one example in which vilifying an entity has a massive drawback, the entity being vilified simply no longer cares about even trying to behave in a respectable manner. Furthermore, a significant number of Chinese people and Asians think that the West will never treat them as equals since they aren't white so there is that angle as well.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:09 AM

117 posts, read 64,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
The ruling won't change much in China's behavior but it will help sanctions that hurt it economically (based on that ruling).

That's the only way I can see change happening is by using the ruling as a basis for forcing change but the pain would be felt globally, at least for a few years.
Sanction? If China got really mad and stop supplying rare elements to the world for couple weeks, the whole West and Japan economy will be flushing down to the toilet. You will see your Iphone or your laptop skyrockets to $5,000 USD per one. Who is going to afford that?

Couple years ago, Japan screamed like a little girl to UN because China cut down their supply of rare elements for couple days.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Turkey and Israel aren't important to the US? Turkey's occupation of Northern Cyprus is one of the biggest barriers to its EU membership, which America wants to see happen.
No, Cyprus and Palestine are not important to the US.

And Turkey has no chance of joining the EU anyways. It has horrible human rights record and is barely a democracy, not to mention how poor it is, which the EU have been a lot more cautious on since the accession of Romania and Bulgaria. Even without the whole mess with Cyprus it's still a no show.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 AM

4,683 posts, read 3,612,199 times
Quote:

And I suggest China to put more efforts into the aftermath of their ugliest floods since the 90s than on such meaningless crap. It's quite amusing how the beloved XDD seems to care far more about these stupid, lameass rocks that have absolutely 0 influence on his people's daily lives than the 30+ million actual human-beings affected by the godawful disaster, but I guess that's China for you.
Ok, then I am sure you won't mind when the Chinese seize taiping island from Taiwan, since they don't, you know, care. I am expecting your big trap to stay shut when that happens, which is a distinct possibility within the coming months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or