Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:29 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well, if we really respect history, maybe the US should give up Hawaii and Guam, and the UK will need to give up a whole bunch of islands a million miles away from London.

Talking about history is really futile because one can never agree with the other when that history is. As I said, big powers will have the ability to ignore whatever those international laws say and just go ahead with their own plan. US and Europe did that, so will China. So it is hypercritical for western countries to try to impose "international law" on this, why didn't they care about the law when they violated them?

China is unlike Russia. The Chinese leaders still dream of "peaceful rising" or even to be accepted by the western countries. The thing is 1) peaceful rising will not be allowed even if you want to 2) western countries will never treat China as equal even if you do everything they say (democracy, freedom or whatever BS), unless you act all humble and obedient like Japan or Singapore. China is going to be the world's largest economy and it will not accept that.
I don't know how anyone who is non-Western can seriously think the West will ever treat them as equals. Japan for example still isn't treated as an equal and I think the 1980s Western reaction to the Japanese asset bubble should show you how the West really feels about non-Western countries even though Japan was one of America's most important allies. Even after the asset bubble burst, look at how the West continues to demonize Japan about its immigration policies and its treatment of women. I won't even mention how Russia was treated after 1991 even though it did everything the West requested and even hired Western advisers to restructure its government and economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 05:32 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
So what is it you are advocating ? I guess because China is so big they deserve to own the sea that is nowhere near any part of China. They deserve to own the EEZ < 20 miles from Philippine lands or thousands of miles from any Chinese territory.

How about Malaysia or the Philippines or Vietnam or even Taiwan do their opinions count ? The US is on the right side of this dispute. The US only want open waters for all. China points to some 200 + YO navigation maps, as their basis for a claim, made at a time when China was not even politically united. The reality is that the US has as much right as China to claim the SCS. Why ? Well because we freed the entire SCS (and China) from Japanese tyranny not more that 70 years ago losing thousands of men in the process. Did we try to claim it then ?

Your probably spouting your nationalist views from the safety and freedom of some "evil" western country. China has a lot more to lose from a SCS dispute than any other nation. What happens if those involved in this dispute trade-block China ? Literally millions would be out of work in China overnight, their markets and currency would crash and the country would become less stable, while US would have the equivalent of an economic hiccup.

No one in the The Chinese government wants a physical conflict nor will they ever try to enforce a ban on boat or plane traffic. They are too smart for that. China is playing this exactly how they want to, getting the advantages of economic exploitation without resorting to any serious conflict.
So. Why should Britain be allowed to keep the Falklands islands? Or the US Guam ? And Taiwan has the same claim as China....because they are from the same country. So taiwan's opinion, in this case, is exactly like China's. It's just too weak physically and mentally to do anything about it. Taiwan has to kiss up to its sugar daddy Japan and the US, who are both behind this ridiculous arbitration farce trying to stifle China.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:23 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There won't be sanctions, the ruling is not binding.

It just makes China lose face, and China hates losing face.
There's nothing to lose China is already disliked.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:37 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I don't know how anyone who is non-Western can seriously think the West will ever treat them as equals. Japan for example still isn't treated as an equal and I think the 1980s Western reaction to the Japanese asset bubble should show you how the West really feels about non-Western countries even though Japan was one of America's most important allies. Even after the asset bubble burst, look at how the West continues to demonize Japan about its immigration policies and its treatment of women. I won't even mention how Russia was treated after 1991 even though it did everything the West requested and even hired Western advisers to restructure its government and economy.
Japan deserves to be criticised for its xenophobia and gender inequality.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:36 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Japan deserves to be criticised for its xenophobia and gender inequality.
They put their whole country at risk of China's wrath, they aren't obligated to answer their internal issues to anyone in the West.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 AM

Not only did the US ignore a ruling from this court in the past, but so did Britain in a case that Argentina brought against it over the Malvinas (see link below). Basically, if you're a great power, you ignore the ruling if it does not suit you.

In fact, China would be a laughing stock of a great power if it actually followed the ruling. LOL

What's funny is all those CNN and BBC idiots whining about how this is a test of whether China will be a "responsible power" or not. Did they ask whether Britain or the US are "responsible" powers? This is why BBC and CNN are both staffed by retards with political agendas.

All China has to do is stop the import of filipino bananas and mangos, and the whole filipino economy will fall into recession.

On matters of sovereignty, China is following the US playbook | South China Morning Post

Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
The Republic of Nicaragua v. The United States of America (1986) ICJ1 is public international law case decided by the International Court of Justice (ICJ). The ICJ ruled in favor of Nicaragua and against the United States and awarded reparations to Nicaragua. The ICJ held that the U.S. had violated international law by supporting the Contras in their rebellion against the Nicaraguan government and by mining Nicaragua's harbors. The United States refused to participate in the proceedings after the Court rejected its argument that the ICJ lacked jurisdiction to hear the case. The U.S. later blocked enforcement of the judgment by the UN Security Council and thereby prevented Nicaragua from obtaining any actual compensation.

On Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015 Japan’s whaling fleet set sail towards Antarctic waters for a three-month hunt despite international outcry, including the United Nations’ ICJ ruling in 2014 that Japan’s whaling pursuits do not qualify as scientific research and should therefore be put to a stop.

Note these are real UN decisions, not some half assed court such as the PCA paid by one of the parties.

I wonder whether US and Japan will be shameless enough to call for China to obey "International law". I am not saying China is right, but it is a matter between China and the Philippines. The US at least should stay the f8ck of it considering it own non-glorious history of ignoring UN ruling. Right now, it is still stirring water in Asia like it always does. What a despicable regime.

Last edited by botticelli; 07-14-2016 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The Republic of Nicaragua v. The United States of America (1986) ICJ1 is public international law case decided by the International Court of Justice (ICJ). The ICJ ruled in favor of Nicaragua and against the United States and awarded reparations to Nicaragua. The ICJ held that the U.S. had violated international law by supporting the Contras in their rebellion against the Nicaraguan government and by mining Nicaragua's harbors. The United States refused to participate in the proceedings after the Court rejected its argument that the ICJ lacked jurisdiction to hear the case. The U.S. later blocked enforcement of the judgment by the UN Security Council and thereby prevented Nicaragua from obtaining any actual compensation.

On Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015 Japan’s whaling fleet set sail towards Antarctic waters for a three-month hunt despite international outcry, including the United Nations’ ICJ ruling in 2014 that Japan’s whaling pursuits do not qualify as scientific research and should therefore be put to a stop.

Note these are real UN decisions, not some half assed court such as the PCA paid by one of the parties.

I wonder whether US and Japan will be shameless enough to call for China to obey "International law". I am not saying China is right, but it is a matter between China and the Philippines. The US at least should stay the f8ck of it considering it own non-glorious history of ignoring UN ruling. Right now, it is still stirring water in Asia like it always does. What a despicable regime.
Oh, thanks for bringing up the Japanese and their ignoring of the decision on whaling. And yes, those were actually court ruling from the UN, not some crappy arbitration tribunal decision put together by a Japanese and paid for in total by the Filipinos. This is an even bigger joke than I thought.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:50 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
I think the main thing that I've gleaned from all this is that there are some people who are so bitter and simple minded, that they are fine with more or less any nation screwing over, oppressing, or subjugating another - so long as it isn't the US or some post-colonialist nation.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think the main thing that I've gleaned from all this is that there are some people who are so bitter and simple minded, that they are fine with more or less any nation screwing over, oppressing, or subjugating another - so long as it isn't the US or some post-colonialist nation.
No, the main thing is that the US or post-colonialist nations can't on the one hand denounce other countries for screwing over and oppressing others, and on the other doing exactly the same thing themselves.

Switzerland can denounce China for the 9 dash line. Austria can. Argentina can. Zimbabwe can. The Philippines of course can. The US CANNOT. It should look at itself in the mirror before all the "it is about justice" "we want to protect the freedom of navigation" BS. it should stop screwing everyone that doesn't suit its "national interest" before accusing anyone else. What a hypocritical, self-entitled and disgraceful nation.

Last edited by botticelli; 07-14-2016 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia