U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:20 AM

15,033 posts, read 13,618,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperguy View Post
But Fethullah Gülen(President of FETO) is living in USA now and managing everything from there.
OK, but what exactly HE and HIS SUPPORTERS wanted ( what are the major differences with Erdogan's policies?)
Can you sum it up please, briefly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 11:31 AM

33 posts, read 22,263 times
Actually,Fethullah Gülen and Recep Tayyip Erdoğan(President) were very good allies.Then they fell into disagreement.After this,Fethullah Gülen wanted to take the country from Recep Tayyip Erdoğan with his supporters in the army and he told his supporters to make coup.Then they tried to make coup and they failed.FETO organization is also known as 'parallel government' in Turkey.Shortly,Fethullah Gülen tried to destroy his old ally,current enemy Recep Tayyip Erdoğan,but he failed.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:39 AM

15,530 posts, read 13,513,460 times
Quote:
The coup organizers were supporters of a terror organization named FETO(Ruled by Fethullah Gülen)in the army.They wanted the take over the country on their own without permission of the chief of staff.I mean a group in the army who support that organization named FETO did this and they failed.All of the soldiers,colonels, and generals who managed that coup attempt has been arrested.People don't like them because they support the FETO and president of FETO I mean Fethullah Gülen isn't liked here by anyone except his supporters.And public know that he got that cour attempt done and the public didn't let him done.
They will be judged as traitors.
Oh BS. The only claim to this is from Erdogan. Gulen is Erdogan's Trotsky, and will use him as an excuse to purge everyone he does not like as Stalin did.

The coup supporters themselves have made zero statements regarding Gulen, only Erdogan. I cannot believe how many buy into this BS.

Erdogan will do anything to deflect the fact the coup was a blow back to his authoritarian ways. He invokes Gulen the same way Stalin invoked Trotsky as the reason for any and everything that happens, and uses this as an excuse to purge anyone he does not like.

Already, not even a day after the coup, thousands of judges have been removed or arrested for "links" to Gulen.

I am amazed at the amount of support Erdogan has despite his increasing authoritarian ways. I would understand it if the opposition was much worst, but in this case the opposition is better and much less authoritarian.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Oh BS. The only claim to this is from Erdogan. Gulen is Erdogan's Trotsky, and will use him as an excuse to purge everyone he does not like as Stalin did.

The coup supporters themselves have made zero statements regarding Gulen, only Erdogan. I cannot believe how many buy into this BS.

Erdogan will do anything to deflect the fact the coup was a blow back to his authoritarian ways. He invokes Gulen the same way Stalin invoked Trotsky as the reason for any and everything that happens, and uses this as an excuse to purge anyone he does not like.

Already, not even a day after the coup, thousands of judges have been removed or arrested for "links" to Gulen.

I am amazed at the amount of support Erdogan has despite his increasing authoritarian ways. I would understand it if the opposition was much worst, but in this case the opposition is better and much less authoritarian.
You are absolutely right.Erdogan uses him as a scapegoat.You dont have to surprise the amout of support Erdogan,because there are a lot of sheeps in my country.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Actually,Fethullah Gülen and Recep Tayyip Erdoğan(President) were very good allies.Then they fell into disagreement.After this,Fethullah Gülen wanted to take the country from Recep Tayyip Erdoğan with his supporters in the army and he told his supporters to make coup.Then they tried to make coup and they failed.FETO organization is also known as 'parallel government' in Turkey.Shortly,Fethullah Gülen tried to destroy his old ally,current enemy Recep Tayyip Erdoğan,but he failed.
Erdogan does not like Gulen because Gulen did not support the authoritarian ways of Erdogan. All fine, but Gulen then leaked a lot of internal communications which exposed Erdogan's ways, which of course made Gulen the number one enemy. Erdogan has used the media to continue to pursue and spread propaganda about Gulen, and has arrested all journalists who even dare speak positive of Gulen, report the corruption Gulen exposed, and criticize Erdogan; Turkey ranks as the fifth worst jailers for journalists in 2015.

I am sure Erdogan has plenty a a** kissers as Stalin did, just because they fear for their own heads, not as so much they support him.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
You are absolutely right.Erdogan uses him as a scapegoat.You dont have to surprise the amout of support Erdogan,because there are a lot of sheeps in my country.
I am not surprised by the amount of support he has, the reason is simple; economics.

Despite all the things Erdogan has done, the economy has grown greatly under him, and at the end of the day, the lives of ordinary Turks has improved a lot due to this. Just as with Putin and Chinese leaders, economics matters much more than politics when all is done.

Erdogan's authoritarian ways in the grand scheme of things have not impacted daily lives of Turks, I am talking the simple stuff of work, school, home, entertainment, etc. When things are going good, not too many really care that much that about authoritarian ways that really do not impact them that much in the grans scheme.

There is discontent for Erdogan, but it is not the kind that a coup is needed right now. He gets his support from radical elements, and from those who benefited economically who pay not much mind to the radical side because in comparison with say Saudi Arabia, it is still pretty mild.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Erdogan does not like Gulen because Gulen did not support the authoritarian ways of Erdogan. All fine, but Gulen then leaked a lot of internal communications which exposed Erdogan's ways, which of course made Gulen the number one enemy. Erdogan has used the media to continue to pursue and spread propaganda about Gulen, and has arrested all journalists who even dare speak positive of Gulen, report the corruption Gulen exposed, and criticize Erdogan; Turkey ranks as the fifth worst jailers for journalists in 2015.

I am sure Erdogan has plenty a a** kissers as Stalin did, just because they fear for their own heads, not as so much they support him.
Erdogan has already taken over all the channels.Almost all the channels,newspapers are under his control.Also as you said,he kicks those ass who talk something positive about Gulen.Also he made Gulen's a lot of schools,newspapers,banks closed or appointed trustee.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I am not surprised by the amount of support he has, the reason is simple; economics.

Despite all the things Erdogan has done, the economy has grown greatly under him, and at the end of the day, the lives of ordinary Turks has improved a lot due to this. Just as with Putin and Chinese leaders, economics matters much more than politics when all is done.

Erdogan's authoritarian ways in the grand scheme of things have not impacted daily lives of Turks, I am talking the simple stuff of work, school, home, entertainment, etc. When things are going good, not too many really care that much that about authoritarian ways that really do not impact them that much in the grans scheme.

There is discontent for Erdogan, but it is not the kind that a coup is needed right now. He gets his support from radical elements, and from those who benefited economically who pay not much mind to the radical side because in comparison with say Saudi Arabia, it is still pretty mild.
I dont agree with you.Economics doesnt grow,conversely inflation is increasing.People doesnt like him because of this reason.He can use the religion very well.And due to our public is very stupid,they believe what he say.Dollar is 3,01 Turkish Lira and Euro is 3,33 Turkish Lira.Before he had come,Dollar was 1,50 and Euro was 2.He killed the agriculture.Turkey used to one of the seven countries which it can live on its own but now we even buy wheat from abroad.Now it is talked to 3 million Syrian refugees will be given citizenship.We have become the dump of the Europe and Middle East.For what ? for taking the vote from Syrians.They are such a bad,dirty nation that have ****ed up our country.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:05 PM

And also it is talked to given the home to them.Do you know how many homeless do we have without Syrians ?
When our own public is starving,they get money from government and maybe will live the houses which given by government.Do you think it is fair ?

Old 07-16-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I dont agree with you.Economics doesnt grow,conversely inflation is increasing.People doesnt like him because of this reason.He can use the religion very well.And due to our public is very stupid,they believe what he say.Dollar is 3,01 Turkish Lira and Euro is 3,33 Turkish Lira.Before he had come,Dollar was 1,50 and Euro was 2.He killed the agriculture.Turkey used to one of the seven countries which it can live on its own but now we even buy wheat from abroad.Now it is talked to 3 million Syrian refugees will be given citizenship.We have become the dump of the Europe and Middle East.For what ? for taking the vote from Syrians.They are such a bad,dirty nation that have ****ed up our country.
Inflaiton may be growing, but the economic numbers do not lie; from when Erdogan became PM in 2003 to now, the GDP per PPP has grown from $13,000 to almost $19,000 today.

This of course has made Erdogan immune to attacks as many voters are simply not really interested in things past how economics impact them, we see this repeated around the world since the beginning of history.

He has had a negative impact in many areas of course, but that does not outweigh the support he has, along with the fact the opposition cannot seem to field viable candidates against him.

As for the exchange rates, that has less to do with the Lira and more to do with the strength of the dollar and Euro.

Problem with all of this is he is setting the stage for one party rule, authoritarian style, so when the economy does go bad, people will have no means to oust his party from office as the party will control everything and shut out the opposition.

And if those millions of Syrians are granted citizenship, that is 3 million and in future even more, guaranteed voters for the party.

I am not a fan of Erdogan by no means, and I wish the coup would have succeeded or at least weakened him, but I do see why so many people came out in support of him and not the army; I think the fact the majority of the army was not in support of the coup also mattered more so than anything else. If the majority of the army supported it, the people most likely would have went along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia