U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 12:38 PM

9,910 posts, read 8,183,101 times

Advertisements

I think his support is a symptom of a growing number of Islamic radicals in Turkey. I was there in the 1990s and it was very European.
There are plenty of tourist sites worth seeing as well as beaches, boating, and a vibrant night life. But if Turkey goes more Islamic radical then people will be less likely to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 12:45 PM

324 posts, read 379,076 times
Shame it failed.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:17 PM

9,627 posts, read 2,660,291 times
The Turkish people are the real terrorist for supporting The Government

Old 07-16-2016, 01:26 PM

15,043 posts, read 13,637,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I think his support is a symptom of a growing number of Islamic radicals in Turkey. I was there in the 1990s and it was very European.
There are plenty of tourist sites worth seeing as well as beaches, boating, and a vibrant night life. But if Turkey goes more Islamic radical then people will be less likely to visit.
This is the bottom line ( for me at least.)
"His support" - that's what? Support for Erdogan in this case?

Old 07-16-2016, 01:38 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,422,138 times
I think more than everything Turkey (and all others too) needs some stability. Stability is by far better than coup d'etats and potential big conflicts or civil wars after it. Turkey is also an important tourism country with reasonable prices for European region, it would be regrettable to loose it like eg Egypt was already almost lost. If there stays a steady government there, be it headed by Erdogan, what can guarantee stability and security there, it would be good.

As for European Union and Turkey´s will to join it, the EU got now a good pretext for the inconvenient to them problem.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:46 PM

33 posts, read 22,285 times
Increasing of the GDP doesn't mean people are getting richer.Just money amount which turning in a country is growing,that's all.A big part of the people are still poor.GDP didn't change it at all.
Let's assume that giving citizenship to Syrians for taking the vote is logical.Well,is it logical for the future of the country ?
And soldiers arent guilty.The commanders who commanded them are guilty.Erdogan showed the soldiers as they are enemy of the public.And also he weakened the army so much and he guaranteed his throne in case another coup.
Btw,where are you from man ?

Old 07-16-2016, 01:51 PM

33 posts, read 22,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
As long as Erdogan rules us,unfortunately everyday we are getting more Islamic country.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:04 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,541,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperguy View Post
Increasing of the GDP doesn't mean people are getting richer.Just money amount which turning in a country is growing,that's all.A big part of the people are still poor.GDP didn't change it at all.
GDP PPP is not the end all indicator of course, but spending power has increased, even anecdotally I have seen it over the last 15 years in Turkey. Of course there are always going to be groups left out and negatively impacted, but economics is one of the things Erdogan has on his side, and it is a big factor in people's support for radical solutions like coups.

Quote:
Let's assume that giving citizenship to Syrians for taking the vote is logical.Well,is it logical for the future of the country ?
It is not logical to give the vote to Syrians, only in Erdogan's eyes it is. It is not good for Turkey, but way too many people are not seeing the long term implications of his policies, only when it is too late will they realize, but by then his party will be in control of all venues that could oust the party.

The ultimate outcome of the coup is not know, it could go all of Erdogan's way, or it could reduce his power.

Quote:
And soldiers arent guilty.The commanders who commanded them are guilty.Erdogan showed the soldiers as they are enemy of the public.And also he weakened the army so much and he guaranteed his throne in case another coup.
The rank and file are not guilty, and I guarantee many did not even know of the coup until they were participants in it. This was a large coup, I bet many leaders withdrew when it started, or it started early and they were not prepared, or their subordinates did not go along with it. I do think it could have succeeded if they would have detained Erdogan and senior leaders right away.

Quote:
Btw,where are you from man ?
The US. But I been to Turkey like 12 times and spent about 14 months of my life there, and also Turkish politics were part of my university studies as well as an interest of mine. I also stay in contact with a few people who live there, in Antalya.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:25 PM

556 posts, read 698,219 times
Apparently the Turkish Prime Minister, Binali Yıldırım, today said that any state who harbors Gulen will be an enemy of Turkey. That seems like a pretty thinly-veiled threat that United States either hand over the self-exiled cleric or face consequences. With a different administration in power, I'd like to think that, at some level, a U.S. diplomat would remind PM Yıldırım that if he wants to go to hell, the U.S. military can make it happen swiftly. Sadly, Obama is such an effeminate, starry-eyed goomba that I doubt the White House is contemplating any strategy other than the best way to surrender.

As things progress, I am increasingly concerned that this wasn't a coup at all, but a Stalinist-style shadow-coup staged by Erdogan himself in order to purge the last elements of serious resistance from the military. The next play could be a swift and brutal attempt to seize the nuclear arsenal Incirlik Air Base, although I believe - grim as it may be - that the ultimate failsafe in the event of such an attack would be to destroy the cache of nukes by setting one off.

Certainly, the next couple of months are going to be very interesting. Does Turkey become the new Iran? Does it force issues over Gulen? Does it make a powerplay for the nukes, kicking off a potential world war in the process?

Old 07-16-2016, 08:56 PM

15,043 posts, read 13,637,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Apparently the Turkish Prime Minister, Binali Yıldırım, today said that any state who harbors Gulen will be an enemy of Turkey. That seems like a pretty thinly-veiled threat that United States either hand over the self-exiled cleric or face consequences.
OK, so the plot thickens.
And if to take in consideration that Frau Merkel declined Mr.Erdogan's arrival "per request" - ( if this is true) he knows by now what the "friendly NATO states" feel about him.
So... did Saudis ( or whatever Gulf state) welcome him " in time of need" or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia