U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 05:57 PM

162 posts, read 194,933 times

Advertisements

This thread is about passport holders that don't require a visa to enter the country but wish to get a visa to stay beyond the 30 day visa free period.

The scant info I found so far almost made it seem like as if a non-visa required national wishing to get the 3 months has to LEAVE Thailand to get the visa and not just get it at immigration. I hope this is all wrong.
I will book a flight to Phuket and will be there on my 1 month which is too short! and want to be sure I don't have to LEAVE just to get the 3 month visa. So once I arrive in Phuket and start counting down my 30 days visa free period, can I get the 3 month visa at immigration in Phuket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 09:28 PM

501 posts, read 461,745 times
Most countries require you to get your visa from your country of residence _before_ arriving in the country. Why don't you just get the three month visa before you go? Or are you trying to get a combined 120 days? Thailand will only allow you to stay for a maximum of 90 days in a 6 month period on a tourist visa, so I dont think you will get 120 days.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:01 AM

735 posts, read 431,672 times
I guess you need to get it before your departure.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 AM

@strad Well first, I just read that they had the 90/180 rule before and had removed it.

And only strict countries like Pakistan require you to get a visa in your home country. Most like Vietnam, Cambodia, Brazil require visa but you can get it anywhere and the others where you need a visa later like in Thailand and Philippines, you don't need to go to your home country for a visa.

I wanted someone with experience in Thailand to share what they know. Do you still get to extend your visa-exempt period by an additional 30 days after you arrive?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I guess you need to get it before your departure.
Based on another forum it seems you do need it out of the country, but you can get it anywhere. Like Cambodia. You just have to get it outside Thailand. Luckily I have a plan to be in and out in about 6 weeks so the plan fits within these limitations.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
Based on another forum it seems you do need it out of the country, but you can get it anywhere. Like Cambodia. You just have to get it outside Thailand. Luckily I have a plan to be in and out in about 6 weeks so the plan fits within these limitations.
Sure, anywhere except for Thailand.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 AM

501 posts, read 461,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
And only strict countries like Pakistan require you to get a visa in your home country. Most like Vietnam, Cambodia, Brazil require visa but you can get it anywhere and the others where you need a visa later like in Thailand and Philippines, you don't need to go to your home country for a visa.
many countries allow people to visit without a visa, or will issue a short term visa (2-4 weeks) on arrival, but if you are explicitly applying for some sort of long-term visa, nearly every country requires you to have that visa before arrival. In fact your intended travel dates and length of stay are usually part of the application.

and you probably want to do this anyway for the guaranteed security. If you travel on a 30-day visa and then apply for an extension and that request is denied for some reason, then you must leave the country. Any hotels or travel you may have booked expecting that extra time would likely just be forfeit. If you have the visa before hand, then you know you will be able to stay those extra days.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
many countries allow people to visit without a visa, or will issue a short term visa (2-4 weeks) on arrival, but if you are explicitly applying for some sort of long-term visa, nearly every country requires you to have that visa before arrival. In fact your intended travel dates and length of stay are usually part of the application.

and you probably want to do this anyway for the guaranteed security. If you travel on a 30-day visa and then apply for an extension and that request is denied for some reason, then you must leave the country. Any hotels or travel you may have booked expecting that extra time would likely just be forfeit. If you have the visa before hand, then you know you will be able to stay those extra days.
Exactly.

I don't really know why OP doesn't want to apply for a visa in the U.S. The visa application is very unlikely to be rejected.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:23 PM

It is because I am not at home now. I am in Taiwan. So that is why I am needing to get the visa in Asia.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:39 PM

18,509 posts, read 9,574,204 times
read the thai Visa forum....wealth of information there. I think you have to get a residence Visa from outside Thailand.

How is Taiwan by the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or