U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-07-2016, 12:09 AM
 
6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Reputation: 3063

Advertisements

Clarifying what exactly makes Hong Kong, and Macau have another association outside of mainland Asia. Ranking infinitely more higher on the Freedom Index, and astronomical heights of wealth compared to the mainland: Hong Kong $57,000, Macau: $111,270, China: Only $14,300 Average Annual Per Capita Income. Signals of democracy, and free economic policies to create another reality immediately crossing the border Hong Kong/Macau to all of China.

Where is the beginning step of establishing these territorial grounds away from the original country, and forever peaceful versions of history to empower their identity status into the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2016, 04:46 AM
 
4,678 posts, read 3,609,147 times
Reputation: 7380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Clarifying what exactly makes Hong Kong, and Macau have another association outside of mainland Asia. Ranking infinitely more higher on the Freedom Index, and astronomical heights of wealth compared to the mainland: Hong Kong $57,000, Macau: $111,270, China: Only $14,300 Average Annual Per Capita Income. Signals of democracy, and free economic policies to create another reality immediately crossing the border Hong Kong/Macau to all of China.

Where is the beginning step of establishing these territorial grounds away from the original country, and forever peaceful versions of history to empower their identity status into the future.
Any high school kid can do his basic research....find when the Ming allowed the Portuguese a small enclave in the 1500s. And the treaty of Nanking in the 1840s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 09:55 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,074,964 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Any high school kid can do his basic research....find when the Ming allowed the Portuguese a small enclave in the 1500s. And the treaty of Nanking in the 1840s.
Portugal also got Taiwan before the Japanese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Reputation: 4851
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Portugal also got Taiwan before the Japanese
so did the Dutch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Portugal also got Taiwan before the Japanese
Ugh no. Portugal discovered Taiwan and gave it a name (Formosa), Spain and the Netherlands got Taiwan decades (or maybe a century) later, briefly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 12:37 PM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,074,964 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Ugh no. Portugal discovered Taiwan and gave it a name (Formosa), Spain and the Netherlands got Taiwan decades (or maybe a century) later, briefly.
if ever Spain got Taiwan (I doubt), its due to the throne unification of Spain and Portugal.


Spain was contented trading silk with mainland china via the Philippines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
if ever Spain got Taiwan (I doubt), its due to the throne unification of Spain and Portugal.


Spain was contented trading silk with mainland china via the Philippines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Formosa

Quote:
Spanish Formosa was a Spanish colony established in the north of Taiwan from 1626 to 1642.

The Portuguese were the first Europeans to reach the island of Taiwan, and named it Formosa due to the beautiful landscape as seen from the sea. The colony was meant to protect Spanish in the region from interference by the Dutch base in the south of Taiwan. The Spanish colony was short-lived due to the unwillingness of Spanish colonial authorities in Manila to commit men and materiel for its defense.

After seventeen years, the last fortress of the Spanish was besieged by Dutch forces and eventually fell, giving the Dutch control over most of the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 07:28 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
To say Macau is not "successful" than China is like saying Monaco is more successful than France or the Euro Zone. It simply is meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 01:07 PM
 
1,011 posts, read 627,651 times
Reputation: 283
What is the nonsense about this discussion? why don't we go back to Yuan dynasty, which colonized half of Europe. The average living standard in HK or Macau is not higher than Shanghai or Shenzhen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Clarifying what exactly makes Hong Kong, and Macau have another association outside of mainland Asia. Ranking infinitely more higher on the Freedom Index, and astronomical heights of wealth compared to the mainland: Hong Kong $57,000, Macau: $111,270, China: Only $14,300 Average Annual Per Capita Income. Signals of democracy, and free economic policies to create another reality immediately crossing the border Hong Kong/Macau to all of China.

Where is the beginning step of establishing these territorial grounds away from the original country, and forever peaceful versions of history to empower their identity status into the future.
One was a Portuguese colony, and one was a British colony....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top