U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:04 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,185,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I love density when its organized like Japan, dislike it when its like Bangladesh.
Me too.

I'm living in Macau, one of the most densest cities in the world. It doesn't feel like it though, because of the way it is organized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 07:09 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,634,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
I don't understand why people keep thinking bigger = better for the economy. Look at Sweden at 10 or so million with a very strong economy and structure. It is better to have a smaller but more skilled and educated population than vice versa.

A smaller but more efficient population would make lives better overall....20mil would be suffice for South Korea given how hilly it is and as such, not much arable or liveable land. A sparely populated population would allow Asian countries to live a lifestyle akin to that of the West.

Given the size of Taiwan, 10mil would probably be ideal for Taiwan.
In general I absolutely agree to that. When it is developing like that from the beginning, it is absolutely perfect. I am rather thinking about the future projection compared to the current population, meaning what would happen if S.K. would loose about 2/3 of its population? Still with a shrinking birth rate, a lot of older people have to be taken care of, and existing companies and production plants have to be operated.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:21 PM

277 posts, read 205,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
In general I absolutely agree to that. When it is developing like that from the beginning, it is absolutely perfect. I am rather thinking about the future projection compared to the current population, meaning what would happen if S.K. would loose about 2/3 of its population? Still with a shrinking birth rate, a lot of older people have to be taken care of, and existing companies and production plants have to be operated.
There would be a difficult transition period but for the best interests of the country and world, a much smaller population would be better and work out longer term.

South Korea has an ageing population, most of the elderly are poorly educated and did a lot of manual labour. Even countries like China are now moving towards automation and reducing the need for manual labour.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:42 AM

451 posts, read 1,080,632 times
Here is another comparison I would like to make regarding population and density, etc.
Let’s compare Sweden, California (I know it is not a country, but a State in the US) and Japan.

Sweden has an area of 173,860 square miles and it has a population of 9.8 million people.

California has an area of 163,696 square miles and it has a population of 38 million people

Japan has an area of 145,935 square miles and it has a population of 126 million people.

As you can see of the 3, Japan is the smallest in area, but has significantly larger population. It has slightly less than half of the population of the United States (320 million people), but in an area a little smaller than California But, then you can compare California with Sweden.

Sweden is a little larger than California, but has a population much smaller than California’s. In fact, Los Angeles County, within California has an area of 4,083 square miles and it alone has more people than Sweden. Los Angeles County has 10 million people.

I would also like to add Australia and Canada to the comparison. Australia has an area out 2.9 million square miles and thus slightly smaller than the US, but it has only 24 million people (just a little more than Taiwan which is significantly smaller- about 13,000 square miles with 23 million people). California with 38 million people has a population larger than the whole nation of Australia.

While Canada has an area of 3.8 million square miles, hence slightly largely than the US (and Canada is the second largest country in terms of area). Yet, Canada has a population of 36 million people, while the US State of California has more people with 38 million people). Perhaps, Australia, Canada and Sweden could do with more people? Japan with a little less? But, then Japan is facing a population crisis with an aging population and low birth rate. I live in California and people complain how crowded it is- but then those are people who live in the Los Angeles area and stuck in traffic. But, the population is not evenly distributed.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:30 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,129,771 times
Well but Sweden and Canada are cold af and Australia is dry af. Japan is neither.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:00 PM

10,426 posts, read 12,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well but Sweden and Canada are cold af and Australia is dry af. Japan is neither.
but Japan is mountainous af

Old 08-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
And California is arid and drought stricken af-especially Southern California where there are about 22 million people. We rely on lake water from Northern California via aquaducts.

Japan like California is earthquake prone af.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:54 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,129,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
but Japan is mountainous af
Well it's easier to manage if you're mountainous af than being cold or dry af. There would still be some flat area here and there, and Japan's climate is mild and wet for the most part, in the meanwhile the only way for Swedes and Canadians to escape the crazy low temperature and long evenings is to go to Spain or Cuba.

Besides Japan is not even that mountainous. A lot of those mountains are just hills and Japan's pretty big. Taiwan is the mountainous one, and it's even smaller than the Netherlands.

Quote:
And California is arid and drought stricken af-especially Southern California where there are about 22 million people. We rely on lake water from Northern California via aquaducts.

Japan like California is earthquake prone af.
Well but Australia's desert is many many times larger than California's.

And earthquake doesn't really make a difference in terms of population distribution. It's not like people knew what an earthquake was in the past, and a big one only strikes so often.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Well it's easier to manage if you're mountainous af than being cold or dry af. There would still be some flat area here and there, and Japan's climate is mild and wet for the most part, in the meanwhile the only way for Swedes and Canadians to escape the crazy low temperature and long evenings is to go to Spain or Cuba.

Besides Japan is not even that mountainous. A lot of those mountains are just hills and Japan's pretty big. Taiwan is the mountainous one, and it's even smaller than the Netherlands.

Well but Australia's desert is many many times larger than California's.

And earthquake doesn't really make a difference in terms of population distribution. It's not like people knew what an earthquake was in the past, and a big one only strikes so often.
Still think the cold and dry argument is oversimplified. Russia is cold af. True it is larger than Canada. Russia has a population of 144 million and Canada has 36 million. This, Russia has 4 times the population of Canada, but Russia is not anywhere close to being 4 times as large as Canada. Canada has room for more people.

The same goes for Australia. It has plenty of room for more people even if it is "dry af" as you characterize. Most of Australia's population is along its coast and Australia has lots of coastline.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:03 AM

661 posts, read 585,733 times
When I stay home during the big Chinese holidays here in Guangzhou, and everyone else travels, I think how awesome China would be if it had half or even less of the population it has now. Due to lack of understanding, China is not organized at all, and people just seem to be everywhere. When you stay home during Chinese New Years or the Oct holiday, walk around your neighborhood or the streets in town and its like the day after an atomic bomb went off. There is almost nobody around, and its creepy how different things feel when you don't have hundreds of people surrounding you on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or