Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2016, 01:30 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,442,201 times

Advertisements

are all asians a mix of Mongol blood from the Ghengis Khan era? or would certain areas tend to have less mixing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 04:46 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,144,259 times
That's an interesting region to ask about. The Russian ethnographer from the early part of the 20th Century, Yuri Shirokogorov, studied the people of that region, and determined that they had noticeable "Negrito" admixture (as do the Tibetans, and of course, there are the Vietnamese and other hill tribes farther south, that are very clearly Afroid). My guess is that not too much Mongol DNA reached that far south. Shirokogorov didn't mention it.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:40 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,784,102 times
The thing with Eastern Asia is that during China's prosperous dynasties, it was the place to be for many of the cultures outside. They all came to China to do trade, and some of course settled down. Naturally they will intermix with the locals.

China back then was very cosmopolitan. There were even arabs and persians living in the coastal cities. Mongols, Jurchens, koreans, even some Japanese all realized if they want to make a fortune, and want to make a lot of it, China was the place to be.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:41 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,043,593 times
China had a huge population even back then. It's impossible that a minority group biologically influenced most Chinese.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:26 PM

452 posts, read 1,318,892 times
Interesting post. I would say no. I have not read anything that supports that claim. As for people in Guangdong (and also people in Southern China), it is my understanding, a large portion of the people through their YDNA (which only passes from father to son, etc.) are mostly YDNA O3 which is actually now O2a of various subclades. And from history and even genetics, it indicates they are a mix of men who moved into Southern China from the Central Plains of China and mixed with the aboriginal women of Southern China who were of various stock (Daic, Miao, Austroasiatic, Austronesian). Thus, in general, the YDNA of "Southern Han" are in large similar to those of "Northern Han." While their mtDNA (which passes from female to child) are different in general. Plus, it has been reported that Ghengis Khan had YDNA C-M217 as well as many of his descendants and Mongolians.

Just have to keep in mind, YDNA and mtDNA only one line of ancestry which can go back thousands of years. You would like need to look at autosomal DNA, etc.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:14 PM

127 posts, read 108,334 times
Northern Asian DNAs (Northern Chinese, Mongols and Koreans) were very similar even before the start of Genghis Khan, probably due to the approximate of their geography and the nature of the place. Even in the ancient, people tended to migrated and interbreeded with each others. Southern Chinese and Northern Chinese have migrated and interbreeded with each others for thousands and thousands of year even before started of China civilization. There are a lot of evidences a lot of Southern Chinese migrated to Northern Asia as far as Korea and Mongolia and there is also a lot of Northern Chinese to the south.

Some historians argued Mongolians were once a break-away tribe from ancient China, since ancient China had thousands and thousands of different tribes. They constantly fought and killed each other for survival before the Han tribe united most of them. Many tribes got defeated. They got ousted to Eastern Europe, Middle East, India sub-continent, Siberia and Mongolia. It is pretty hard to know now.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,022,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
are all asians a mix of Mongol blood from the Ghengis Khan era? or would certain areas tend to have less mixing?
Not sure, but having visited Mongolia, and lived in South Korea for a long time, I've noticed very few Mongolian-looking people way down here in Guangdong...I live in Macau.

Most Chinese are HAN, and overwhelmingly so.

Koreans look very Mongolian-like though. So do many up in Northeastern China. Not so many down here in Southeast Asian at all, unfortunately.

I much prefer the Mongolian/Korean look over the Han look.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:05 AM

452 posts, read 1,318,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not sure, but having visited Mongolia, and lived in South Korea for a long time, I've noticed very few Mongolian-looking people way down here in Guangdong...I live in Macau.

Koreans look very Mongolian-like though. So do many up in Northeastern China. Not so many down here in Southeast Asian at all, unfortunately.

I do believe "Han" is a very generic term for Chinese people. Over the years the Han have assimilated many groups. The mix in the North and South has a slightly different variation.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:40 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,043,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

There is no "Han look".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia