U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 07:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,286,802 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if I should put this topic in the parenting forum or here. Anyway, here goes...

As an American citizen with a Filipino girlfriend, I couldn't help but wonder, if she were to get pregnant, what would my rights be with a child being born in the Philippines?

I read that the child would be illegitimate if we are not married. I've also been told that I could still put my name on the birth certificate. How accurate is this?

Also, if I did and things didn't work out between my girl and I, what are rules regarding child support internationally between the two countries? How enforceable is it?

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:34 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,334,614 times
You can get US citizenship for the child, but you'll have to jump through some hoops if the baby is born out of wedlock. You'll have to take an oath of paternity at the embassy or consulate and make yourself responsible for the welfare of the child. Don't know specifically about the Philippines, but they probably won't let you leave the country without the mother's permission.

I don't have a clue about child support because I can't imagine bringing a child into the world without the intent to offer a standard of living equal to my own. Bailing on a baby is a loser move.

Last edited by Return2FL; 08-30-2016 at 08:43 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 06:33 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,435,783 times
What difference does it make what the laws are, if you have a child, then you should support that child, if you are that cheap that you do not wish to support your own child, then use protection, or even better, get the heck out of the Philippines.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 08-31-2016 at 08:00 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,330,169 times
A pregnant Filipino ... ? Now that would be newsworthy!

A pregnant Filipina, on the other hand, is nothing exceptional.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:16 PM

Calm down everyone. I'm not bailing on anything. It's a hypothetical question and I have no clue what the international laws are regarding these things.

The standards of living are obviously different between the Philippines and America. I haven't the first clue what methods are used to calculate what any support could be or laws at all in the first place. I'm having a difficult time finding them online myself, so I opted to ask for help here... not be criticized for something I'm not even doing!

And yes, Filipina. You got the idea though, didn't you?

Please? Someone give me something besides criticism here!

Old 08-31-2016, 02:41 PM

542 posts, read 489,251 times
I sent you a PM...

Old 08-31-2016, 03:37 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark park View Post
a pregnant filipino ... ? Now that would be newsworthy!

lmao!

Old 08-31-2016, 04:02 PM

7,216 posts, read 12,655,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Calm down everyone. I'm not bailing on anything. It's a hypothetical question and I have no clue what the international laws are regarding these things.

The standards of living are obviously different between the Philippines and America. I haven't the first clue what methods are used to calculate what any support could be or laws at all in the first place. I'm having a difficult time finding them online myself, so I opted to ask for help here... not be criticized for something I'm not even doing!

And yes, Filipina. You got the idea though, didn't you?

Please? Someone give me something besides criticism here!
OP, you specifically asked about rules regarding child support internationally, IMMEDIATELY followed by how enforceable they were. And you wonder why readers got the impression that if you had a baby with this woman, you would bail? (And I wonder how she would feel if she read this thread ...)

Why not marry her, if it's a serious relationship and there is the possibility of kids? If you don't WANT kids, why not get a vasectomy so you don't have to worry about it? Then you can do what you want.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:13 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,519,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Also, if I did and things didn't work out between my girl and I, what are rules regarding child support internationally between the two countries? How enforceable is it?

Thanks in advance.
Makes NO difference how "enforceable" it is! YOUR kid = YOU SUPPORT IT!

Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 PM

Oh, for Pete's sake.. Enough! I explained myself, I need not defend myself any more.

Can I get an actual answer already?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or