U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:35 AM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Yeah, I find the French pronunciation much simpler and less complicated.

Back to the OP's topic, here are some examples I found online:

行 ~ can be pronounced in 5 different ways, depending on the context.
xng, hng, xng, hng, hng

缪 ~ can pronounced as
mu, jiū, liǎo, mio, mi, m
In fact 行 only has two common pronunciations, corresponding to two sets of meanings. The others are archaic and 99.99% native speakers never heard of them.

缪 only has one common pronunciation. I have never heard of the others. This character is hardly used to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,159,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
NO, it is not worse. all these are pronounced alike, but they are ALWAYS alike, no surprise. So when you see them, you know exactly how to read (not the other way around though).

In English, the same letter/combination can be pronounced in many ways. How many pronunciation can "a" take? 6? 7? In French, there is 1. And "ough"?

English is FAR WORSE in that respect.

I can think of multiple instances in which a is pronounced differently in French. The a preceding and following the b in bouillabaisse are pronounced differently, for example. A with circumflex, a with grave. Sure there may be more signals in French but its incorrect to say there is only one way to pronounce a in French. Even different accents within France itself have variations on the a.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 PM

252 posts, read 100,244 times
If you do not read the classics and are not curious of the rhyming couplets, then you can selectively mute out what is irrelevant to you.

Ever been scammed when traveling in Asia 'cause you cannot read the weight and the prices at the goldsmiths and jewelry stores?
Chinese numerals may be archaic to some, but still in use in some business establishments.
Here is a menu compete with pricing hanging on a restaurant wall:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpP0j2xUsAANTC0.jpg

Old 07-28-2017, 07:23 PM

4,338 posts, read 2,261,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
If you do not read the classics and are not curious of the rhyming couplets, then you can selectively mute out what is irrelevant to you.

Ever been scammed when traveling in Asia 'cause you cannot read the weight and the prices at the goldsmiths and jewelry stores?
Chinese numerals may be archaic to some, but still in use in some business establishments.
Here is a menu compete with pricing hanging on a restaurant wall:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpP0j2xUsAANTC0.jpg
It's practically a tradition in some Chinese establishments to rip off Foreigners. I was once there - with a Chinese friend and he was told to stop trying to hog the foreigner all to himself. I have been cheated so many times I can now read the body language when someone is pulling a fast one.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:05 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,276,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
What is your opinion on Chinese characters? To be truly fluent, one must be familiar with over a thousand characters. Besides they leave room to ambiguity.

Some can be really more difficult to write such as:

"flourish" (zheng):

"biang" (a kind of noodle):

"taito" ("the appearance of a dragon in flight"):

The number of characters is truly large...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_character
I love them. Once learned they are much harder to forget! They are also beautiful and slow things down--a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or