U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:36 PM

24,641 posts, read 29,775,786 times
Post News, Saudi Arabia arrests 57 men for flirting at mall.

Religious police: Men in T-shirts interrogated for dancing to pop music

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia began interrogating 57 men Saturday who were arrested for flirting with women in front of a shopping mall in the holy city of Mecca, a local newspaper reported.

The country's religious police arrested the men Thursday night for behavior that also allegedly included dancing to pop music blaring from their cars and wearing improper clothing, reported the Okaz newspaper, which is deemed close to the government.

Saudi Arabian men arrested for flirting - Mideast/N. Africa - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 PM

83 posts, read 379,631 times
It might seem odd and offensive by our standards, but it's their way. How would you feel if someone from a Theocracy expressed utter disbelief that you'd want to live under a democracy? I don't in any way condone the actions of the mutaween, but it hardly comes as a suprise, the kids full well knew the rules - they do the crime, they do the time. I actually went to church once, and couldn't believe the hubbub about Christians being arrested in Afghanistan for trying to convert people to Christianity - if you don't want the risk, don't go, and if you're dedicated to your religion so much as to risk breaking the laws of a foreign country, don't moan!

Quite simply, if a lot more tourists did some research on the customs and culture of countries they intend to visit, there would be a lot less hate and a lot more understanding in the world. My friend rolls cigarettes in twelves, no more, no less - he also records my weight and blood pressure every time I visit - I accept that he's just different to me, I don't chastise him about it, I just let him lead his own life in whatever direction it may take him. Foreign customs need to be researched before they are condemned - a lot of men in Arabic countries really do believe their laws that women in the west find oppresive are there to protect them (modest dress to deter unwanted attention from men - many muslim women appreciate the hijab).

Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,055,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The country's religious police arrested the men Thursday night for behavior that also allegedly included ... pop music blaring from their cars...
Right on! It's been more than once that I wish the cops right here in the U.S.A. would do something about these inconsiderate morons who drive around with that nasty American filthy rap "music" blaring from ridiculously over-sized sub woofers rattling everything and disturbing everyone within a half-mile radius. Makes me wish for a law against excessive narcissism.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM

83 posts, read 379,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Right on! It's been more than once that I wish the cops right here in the U.S.A. would do something about these inconsiderate morons who drive around with that nasty American filthy rap "music" blaring from ridiculously over-sized sub woofers rattling everything and disturbing everyone within a half-mile radius. Makes me wish for a law against excessive narcissism.
I'd have no qualms about visiting most of the middle east - I heard of a guy hitch-hiking - a guy picked him up, took him on a tour of the city, and had him stay the night, for free! People are so generous over there.

Quick fact: TV wasn't introduced in Saudi due to concern about it being culturally unsound (!)

Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM

196 posts, read 654,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeans View Post
It might seem odd and offensive by our standards, but it's their way. How would you feel if someone from a Theocracy expressed utter disbelief that you'd want to live under a democracy? I don't in any way condone the actions of the mutaween, but it hardly comes as a suprise, the kids full well knew the rules - they do the crime, they do the time. I actually went to church once, and couldn't believe the hubbub about Christians being arrested in Afghanistan for trying to convert people to Christianity - if you don't want the risk, don't go, and if you're dedicated to your religion so much as to risk breaking the laws of a foreign country, don't moan!

Quite simply, if a lot more tourists did some research on the customs and culture of countries they intend to visit, there would be a lot less hate and a lot more understanding in the world. My friend rolls cigarettes in twelves, no more, no less - he also records my weight and blood pressure every time I visit - I accept that he's just different to me, I don't chastise him about it, I just let him lead his own life in whatever direction it may take him. Foreign customs need to be researched before they are condemned - a lot of men in Arabic countries really do believe their laws that women in the west find oppresive are there to protect them (modest dress to deter unwanted attention from men - many muslim women appreciate the hijab).
My problem with this logic is that you seem to be suggesting that the status quo in Saudi Arabia, or any other place, is simply a reflection of the will of the people and their particular culture. I'm sure there's alot of people in Saudi Arabia that do support this kind of enforcement, but I'm sure there's also huge discontent for it swelling beneath the surface. Now, if they had FREE ELECTIONS, and willfully voted for such hard lined government policies, I would be more inclined to take your attitude. I think you can RESPECT a nation and its people but also DENOUNCE their government's ridiculous policies, especially when they didn't even choose their leaders.

You say many Muslim women appreciate the hijab... well I'm sure many do, and in a free country they are welcome to wear it. The problem is they are forcing ALL women to wear it, including the many who do not appreciate it.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM

10,659 posts, read 14,763,802 times
Quote:

haha..reps to you for making me smile

Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 AM

53 posts, read 133,460 times
Flirting with girls?? Dancing to pop music?? OFF WITH THEIR HEADS

Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talktobrent View Post
I think you can RESPECT a nation and its people but also DENOUNCE their government's ridiculous policies, especially when they didn't even choose their leaders.
Funny, that's exactly what I tell my European and Canadian friends whenever they insinuate that "We, the People," had anything to do with choosing Dubya.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:55 AM

53 posts, read 133,460 times
Quote:
Funny, that's exactly what I tell my European and Canadian friends whenever they insinuate that "We, the People," had anything to do with choosing Dubya.
#1 Hey, what's wrong with Dubya?
#2 Europeans?? Aren't they the people who lived good when America made sure the commies didn't squash them?
#3 Canadians? Beleive it or not, they are not nearly as anti-American as their politicians are, or our own media is. But they have a lot of Liberal (read Democrat) supported immigrants there and they are the new voice of Canada.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemano View Post
#1 Hey, what's wrong with Dubya?
#2 Europeans?? Aren't they the people who lived good when America made sure the commies didn't squash them?
#3 Canadians? Beleive it or not, they are not nearly as anti-American as their politicians are, or our own media is. But they have a lot of Liberal (read Democrat) supported immigrants there and they are the new voice of Canada.
Wasn't making a comment on any of that so much as drawing a comparison between two countries where the government's policies are, shall we say, less than optimal, and where the leaders were not chosen by the people. I have friends abroad who blame me as an American for some of the idiotic things the U.S. government has done over the past seven years, and I have to point out to my friends that they, as you said earlier about Saudi Arabia, should denounce the government and not the people who didn't have a say in the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia