U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2016, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Southern California
5,433 posts, read 8,149,690 times
Reputation: 5090

Advertisements

I hope to travel to Japan for the 2020 Summer Olympics. I want to start researching how to plan the trip & eat, breath, sleep Japan & it's culture. I want to start learning the language too.

Please give me info on how to begin this journey:

- links to learn the language as easily, yet as thoroughly as possible
- planning a nice, trip for least 2 weeks
- things to see & do
- iPad apps that will help

etc., etc., etc. I'd like this to be an ongoing thread because I'll keep returning to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2016, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Reputation: 4857
If its your first time in Japan i recommend going there 1 or 2 years before the olympic summer, May in general is the best month imo to visit.
Will be a lot less busy and you will experience the real culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,774 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Reputation: 4566
It seems like such a big hassle to learn Japanese just to go there for 2 weeks.

Besides, if you're going in 2020 wouldn't it be better to pose questions in 2019?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Southern California
5,433 posts, read 8,149,690 times
Reputation: 5090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
If its your first time in Japan i recommend going there 1 or 2 years before the olympic summer, May in general is the best month imo to visit.
Will be a lot less busy and you will experience the real culture.
Well, I think the best time to go to a foriegn country (especially if one doesn't speak the language) IS to go during the Olympics time because there will be tons of other Americans & other visitors & I won't stick out like a sore thumb, so to speak. The other country will be planning for lots of visitors during that time & probably have all kinds of signage written in English, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It seems like such a big hassle to learn Japanese just to go there for 2 weeks.

Besides, if you're going in 2020 wouldn't it be better to pose questions in 2019?
Because travel plans for the Olympics starts years in advance, so I was asking to get the ball rolling now. And regarding learning the langauge, I can at least try to learn as much as I can...I know I won't be the language master, I'm sure, plus I'm 1/2 Japanese, so it's not just a desire to learn for one little trip. I've been wishing I could speak Japanese fluently for a long time & a nice trip is just the motivation I need to learn as much as I can anyway.

And before anyone says, unfortunately no, none of my relatives can teach me Japanese. (My Japanese father passed away almost a year ago.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, I think the best time to go to a foriegn country (especially if one doesn't speak the language) IS to go during the Olympics time because there will be tons of other Americans & other visitors & I won't stick out like a sore thumb, so to speak. The other country will be planning for lots of visitors during that time & probably have all kinds of signage written in English, etc.
I visited Tokyo all by myself in 2010 and 2011, 6'3 Dutch guy only Japanese words i knew were Hai, Konnichiwa, Arigato, Sayonara, Sensei, Karaoke, Bukkake, Kawaii, Geisha, Sushi, Sashimi, Tempura, Teriyaki, Wasabi, Bonsai, Kimono, Samurai, Ninja, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Zen and Tsunami.
I couldn't make any sentence in Japanese but speaking English slowly mixed with a couple Japanese words i got around easily and people in general are very helpful.

You like to go to a country where you see many of your own people? For me that's kinda lame, takes away the excitement/adventure... discovering a place by yourself will feel you a lot more satisfied at least imo.

Japan had a record number of 20 million tourists last year when i went there it was only at 7 million (record at that time) and i didn't feel uncomfortable one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,774 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, I think the best time to go to a foriegn country (especially if one doesn't speak the language) IS to go during the Olympics time because there will be tons of other Americans & other visitors & I won't stick out like a sore thumb, so to speak. The other country will be planning for lots of visitors during that time & probably have all kinds of signage written in English, etc.
Plenty of tourists of different skin colours and sizes go to Japan without speaking any Japanese and most didn't have a problem. Yes Japanese (or just East Asians in general) speak laughable English, but there are still people who can communicate with you in English, and tbqh even if you stick out like a sore thumb in Japan, no one would even lay an eye on you. People are too busy with their lives to care about a white person walking on random streets in Tokyo.

Quote:
Because travel plans for the Olympics starts years in advance, so I was asking to get the ball rolling now. And regarding learning the langauge, I can at least try to learn as much as I can...I know I won't be the language master, I'm sure, plus I'm 1/2 Japanese, so it's not just a desire to learn for one little trip. I've been wishing I could speak Japanese fluently for a long time & a nice trip is just the motivation I need to learn as much as I can anyway.
Ok then that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Southern California
5,433 posts, read 8,149,690 times
Reputation: 5090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Plenty of tourists of different skin colours and sizes go to Japan without speaking any Japanese and most didn't have a problem. Yes Japanese (or just East Asians in general) speak laughable English, but there are still people who can communicate with you in English, and tbqh even if you stick out like a sore thumb in Japan, no one would even lay an eye on you. People are too busy with their lives to care about a white person walking on random streets in Tokyo.


Ok then that makes sense.
Moderator cut: - I'm 1/2 Japanese yes, but the other 1/2 of my ethnicity makes me such a different combination, that yeah, I'd say I'd kind of stick out in that country, so the better I can make the trip easier for myself, the better.

Right, glad you understand my thinking from what I said in that other paragraph!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-28-2016 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic, not other posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I never said I'm a white person. Davy-040 did. I'm 1/2 Japanese yes, but the other 1/2 of my ethnicity makes me such a different combination, that yeah, I'd say I'd kind of stick out in that country, so the better I can make the trip easier for myself, the better.

Right, glad you understand my thinking from what I said in that other paragraph!
Moderator cut: -
Met a bunch of tanned Japanese Brazilians living in Tokyo and they said to me they didn't face any difficulties.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-28-2016 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: Venturing into personal attack area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 08:34 PM
 
2,567 posts, read 1,336,012 times
Reputation: 2829
Go to Kyoto during the Gion Festival in July.

You can get by there very easily in English. The street signs are all in English, the menus have visuals and more people than you'd expect have at least a basic grasp of English. In fact, many are quite proficient. The culture takes a lifetime to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Southern California
5,433 posts, read 8,149,690 times
Reputation: 5090
I'll try, but going at Olympics time is more important. If I happen to make it for the festival, then great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top