U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 10:20 AM

5,553 posts, read 2,890,019 times

Advertisements

I love noodle soup. Seems like every East Asian / South East Asian culture have their own versions. Which ones do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 11:46 AM

6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Wow you've stumbled upon a topic I'm pretty passionate about lol.

Jjamppong (Korean) and Tonkotsu Ramen (Japanese) are probably my two favs amongst many other favs detailed below...
I also like all other kinds of ramen, udon and soba (also Japanese).
Wonton Noodle Soup and Roast Duck Noodle Soup done well are amazing (Chinese)
Just ate some great Asam Laksa in Penang today (Malaysian)
We have Pho about twice a week when we're in Jax as it's the only consistently good asian food in the city. Bun Bo Hue as well though that one is more like once a month (Vietnamese)
Beef Noodle Soup (Taiwanese) is hard to find really good but man is it good when it is.
I've also had some good Thai noodle soups like Khao Soi and Tom Yum, though I'm not sure that Tom Yum is traditionally supposed to have noodles in it.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:42 AM

12,562 posts, read 15,036,884 times
Japan: ramen and tonkatsu ramen
Hong Kong: won ton noodles, BBQ pork noodles, roast duck noodles
Vietnam: beef brisket pho or chicken pho

Old 11-03-2016, 07:12 AM

22,102 posts, read 23,627,108 times
I like virtually all noodle soups I've come across that are prepared well.

Some of my favorites are Thai boat noodles, a good solid pho or pho style with an aromatic clear stock and rice noodles, oyster vermicelli, and a red-braised taiwanese beef noodle soup.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:23 PM

In Korea, I've eaten a chicken rice porridge (juk?) that was delicious, on a cold Seoul winter night. Although it was not noodles, it was very satisfying.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:42 PM

485 posts, read 262,910 times
I looooove my noodle soup since I am 100% Asian.

Had to have Pho every week.
Or another of my fav. Chinese restaurant, their home style noodle soup.

Get Ramen (soy or Miso base my fav) at Japanese places or at home. Love my Korean Shim Ramyun.
Or Udon soups.
I also love, love Japanese or Korean style buckwheat noodles. Especially Naengmyeon.. TDF!!!

I love Assam Laksa.. with blood clams traditional style please.
Or that awesome teochew fishball noodle soup or that wonton noodle in Singapore.

Singapore has most all my fav. noodle soups...
From fish head noodles, beef noodles, Soto Ayam, CurryMee, Yong tau foo with noodles, to the stew base zhichar noodles etc.. yumyumyum!!!

Malaysia have their own best rice noodles I've had.
Mom told me they use to wash their rice (to make these noodles) in clear clean fresh river water in the old days to make the best tasting rice noodles I've ever had in the good old days before pollution.
Ipoh noodles.
Some many decades ago... Really is different.

There is also Taiwanese red stew beef noodles..
Or the ban mien soup from China.
China have their own beef stew noodle soup but I still love my Pho.

Happy Noodle Souping!!!
❤❤❤
Attached Thumbnails
Noodle soup-photogrid_1478402838744.jpg  

Old 11-07-2016, 11:39 AM

949 posts, read 610,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
In Korea, I've eaten a chicken rice porridge (juk?) that was delicious, on a cold Seoul winter night. Although it was not noodles, it was very satisfying.
This porridge of (usually leftover) rice, accompanied by various veggies and protein, is commonly found in other countries in Asia as well.

In China, Hong Kong and other East Asian countries, it is also known as congee or jook. The Vietnamese version is called chao (chao long).

Agree it's a very rib-sticking, satisfying meal, especially on cold days. I use to eat eat it as a child when I was sick or had an upset stomach.

To the OP:

My favorites are biased, because they are what I grew up eating as a child, and hence greatly shaped my taste preferences:

- Bun Rieu (never found a good restaurant version, though)
- Bun Oc
- Bun Mam

Yeah, very heavy on the umami. And definitely an acquired taste for many, I'm sure. :-)

Last edited by mingna; 11-07-2016 at 12:02 PM..

Old 11-09-2016, 08:23 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,334,146 times
Big fan of Thai clay pot gung ob woonsen (sp?). Basically all Asian noodles are good.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:25 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,320,786 times
I have liked all Asian noodle soups I have ever tried (though I have not actually been to Asia so the versions I have had are either from restaurants - some more authentic than others) or homemade with as much authenticity as I can manage to find given a limited ingredient list available locally. I cannot however have soy and I don't care for really fatty meats and some organ meats so I avoid versions containing those.

As a child, Campbell's soups and the occasional homemade vegetable soup were the norm in my house. I am very jealous of those of you who grew up with the much more flavorful and probably more nutritious soups listed by so many of you above.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:48 PM

Thank you! I'll have to try the other versions. The one I tried in Korea was unforgettably delicious.
Seemed like there was a whole 1/2 of a chicken in there, mixed with ginseng I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
This porridge of (usually leftover) rice, accompanied by various veggies and protein, is commonly found in other countries in Asia as well.

In China, Hong Kong and other East Asian countries, it is also known as congee or jook. The Vietnamese version is called chao (chao long).

Agree it's a very rib-sticking, satisfying meal, especially on cold days. I use to eat eat it as a child when I was sick or had an upset stomach.

To the OP:

My favorites are biased, because they are what I grew up eating as a child, and hence greatly shaped my taste preferences:

- Bun Rieu (never found a good restaurant version, though)
- Bun Oc
- Bun Mam

Yeah, very heavy on the umami. And definitely an acquired taste for many, I'm sure. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or