U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2016, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Reputation: 4565

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think Taiwan has some awesome climates with wonderfully lush subtropical vegetation most places people live... it's hot and humid in summer but most places I imagine have A/C which is helpful. At least that is how it was when I was in Hong Kong which I imagine isn't all that different from cities in Taiwan.
Kaohsiung is the best climate in Taiwan IMO.
Not trying to be a dick here but is there some kind of (false) advertising campaign on Taiwan's tourism that I'm not aware of?

Taiwan's climate is similar to Hong Kong's climate, which is ****. Period. Yes it doesn't rain that much in Kaohsiung but it's almost always extremely hot and the pollution is horrifying.


Awesome climates exist in Spain and Australia, not here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2016, 04:19 AM
 
12,842 posts, read 4,642,177 times
Reputation: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Not trying to be a dick here but is there some kind of (false) advertising campaign on Taiwan's tourism that I'm not aware of?

Taiwan's climate is similar to Hong Kong's climate, which is ****. Period. Yes it doesn't rain that much in Kaohsiung but it's almost always extremely hot and the pollution is horrifying.
Horrifying?

There are at least 577 more polluted cities in the world than Hong Kong according to the World Health Organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._concentration

People make it sound like China has the worst air quality in the world, when it is very far from the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Reputation: 4565
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Horrifying?

There are at least 577 more polluted cities in the world than Hong Kong according to the World Health Organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._concentration

People make it sound like China has the worst air quality in the world, when it is very far from the case.
I was talking about Kaohsiung, not Hong Kong, a city in Taiwan, not in China.

And the fact that there are a bunch of worse places does not mean that China isn't a polluted ****hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 05:25 AM
 
12,842 posts, read 4,642,177 times
Reputation: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I was talking about Kaohsiung, not Hong Kong, a city in Taiwan, not in China.

And the fact that there are a bunch of worse places does not mean that China isn't a polluted ****hole.
China is fairly average among developing countries when it comes to pollution and you were saying that Kaohsiung was similar to Hong Kong.

Many cities in places like Italy have worse pollution than Hong Kong. You havent provided evidence that Kaohsiung has worse air quality than Hong Kong either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Reputation: 4565
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
China is fairly average among developing countries when it comes to pollution and you were saying that Kaohsiung was similar to Hong Kong.
That means that developing countries are generally polluted ****holes, if anything.

And I said Taiwan's climate is like Hong Kong's, overall, not specifically Kaohsiung's.

Quote:
Many cities in places like Italy have worse pollution than Hong Kong. You havent provided evidence that Kaohsiung has worse air quality than Hong Kong either.
That says more about Italy than Hong Kong.

Finally, I never claimed that Kaohsiung has worse air quality than Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 07:36 AM
 
1,623 posts, read 1,013,628 times
Reputation: 2819
Kunming in China has paradise weather. 4 seasons without any extremes in rain, clouds, heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 08:52 AM
 
1,089 posts, read 477,590 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
See what you think after spending a winter in Harbin, Manchuria. Or the higher elevations in Tibet.
Here's a photo of city of Harbin in winter -- hardly tropical.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 11:53 AM
 
3,500 posts, read 4,956,546 times
Reputation: 3488
The map in the original post, has at least 3 color shades which are not explained in the climate key.

The pea-green yellowish color (Shanghai, Hunan, and much of southeastern China) is not explained in the key

the bright-green color (small area in western Xinjiang, east of Kashmir) is not explained in the key

The forest-green color (parts of Yunnan, and southern Tibet) is not explained in the key

The cartographer needs to identify / explain what climate these 3 colors represent.

Last edited by slowlane3; 11-05-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 02:59 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,131 posts, read 11,872,252 times
Reputation: 4423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Not trying to be a dick here but is there some kind of (false) advertising campaign on Taiwan's tourism that I'm not aware of?

Taiwan's climate is similar to Hong Kong's climate, which is ****. Period. Yes it doesn't rain that much in Kaohsiung but it's almost always extremely hot and the pollution is horrifying.


Awesome climates exist in Spain and Australia, not here.
It's not from an advertising campaign. I just love warm and hot climates. I have been to Hong Kong before in summer no less and went walking through the parks there. I did get a bit dehydrated but that was my own fault because I didn't bring enough water with me. I imagine Taiwan to be similar.
As for the rain, who cares. I live in Vancouver afterall which is a very rainy city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Reputation: 4565
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It's not from an advertising campaign. I just love warm and hot climates. I have been to Hong Kong before in summer no less and went walking through the parks there. I did get a bit dehydrated but that was my own fault because I didn't bring enough water with me. I imagine Taiwan to be similar.
As for the rain, who cares. I live in Vancouver afterall which is a very rainy city.
Well if you like the heat then you'd probably enjoy it, I don't.

I think Taipei is just as rainy as Vancouver, if not more, which is really annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top