Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 12:24 PM

503 posts, read 598,412 times

Advertisements

I'm bringing my friend to Taipei for four days next month. I've been to Taipei myself a few times and wanna show him the best that Taipei can offer. What do you guys suggest are the top tourist must-sees in the Taipei area? I was thinking of Jiufen as well since I've never been there

Also, where would you recommend for delicious but not too expensive food? (besides the night markets)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 01:22 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
I'm pretty useless on giving tourism advice (mostly because I've never been to those places personally lol) but Jiufen would be better on weekdays. It's sick crowded on the weekend.

Btw since it's gonna be April, the green reef would be green so you can take him to Laomei I suppose.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Jiufen is cool, and weekdays can be busy but not insane. I like the Maokong gondola as well. Nice way to see the full landscape of the city and a lot of nature too. Although I'm not a local I'm kinda like greysholic in that I don't usually put a ton of effort into "touristy" things so I am sure there's a lot of good places I don't know enough to recommend. If you want to go up Taipei 101 another option is to eat at one of the restaurants near the top. There are a few that are decent and not outrageously expensive, which gives you a nice view. But of course, tons of great cheap food all over the place.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:55 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Restaurants: try any of the vegetarian restaurants, at least once. They have a menu of imitation-meat dishes, that are fascinating, and delicious, as all Taiwan food is. Some of them are made with tofu, some with taro root.

Surely, as an experienced Taipei visitor, you don't need strangers to recommend the national museum, as an attraction. I guess you're asking about more off-the-beaten-track type of attractions?

Old 03-20-2018, 04:20 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
I recommend this restaurant in Yonghe -- but only if you promise to keep it to yourself: https://www.facebook.com/reeltaipei/

Also rent bikes and ride the riverside bike path from Taipei to Danshui. You see a side of the city you won't see from the streets, with lots of mini cultural attractions along the way.

Also hiking Yangmingshan is a must do: 首é* | 陽明山國家公園

Take the high speed rail to Kaohsiung and a bus (or rent a car) to baishawan near Kenting. Rent a beachside B&B in Pingdong nearby https://taiwanease.com/en/forums/sum...ong-t5486.html

From there head up to the Zhiben Hot Spring area along the east coast. There are some neat aboriginal villages in the area and a really interesting museum -- the National Museum of Prehistory -- in Taitung.

Take the regular train from Taitung along the scenic east coast back to Taipei, unless you have time to stop at Taroko Gorge for hiking.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times
If you go to Jiufen, might as well go to other places on the way or nearby: Pingxi Sky Lanterns, Yehliu and Shifen Waterfalls.

Our family likes to eat at this hot pot restaurant: ??? ???? (Tian Wai Tian Hot Pot Restaurant on Kunming Street, Taipei)

Old 03-22-2018, 08:58 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
For the restaurants you can try the new Michelin Guide ... if you don't mind the queue:
https://guide.michelin.com/tw/en/taipei

I like this Uyghur restuarant, it seems really popular amongst foreigners in Taipei. I saw quite a few when I went there. It's quite cheap. You can order a lot with $10-15 per person.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:54 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
I recommend this restaurant in Yonghe -- but only if you promise to keep it to yourself: https://www.facebook.com/reeltaipei/

Also rent bikes and ride the riverside bike path from Taipei to Danshui. You see a side of the city you won't see from the streets, with lots of mini cultural attractions along the way.

Also hiking Yangmingshan is a must do: 首é* | 陽明山國家公園

Take the high speed rail to Kaohsiung and a bus (or rent a car) to baishawan near Kenting. Rent a beachside B&B in Pingdong nearby https://taiwanease.com/en/forums/sum...ong-t5486.html

From there head up to the Zhiben Hot Spring area along the east coast. There are some neat aboriginal villages in the area and a really interesting museum -- the National Museum of Prehistory -- in Taitung.

Take the regular train from Taitung along the scenic east coast back to Taipei, unless you have time to stop at Taroko Gorge for hiking.
LOL, this is a TRUE Taiwanese itinerary!

This would be impossible for a typical American to handle in just 4 days, but Taiwanese are go go go go! I got used to the frenetic pace of Taiwanese tourism after a couple of years. When I accompanied a US-based research group who's Taiwanese peers decided to take them "touring" I had to laugh at how badly the other Americans were doggin' it around 2300 when we'd be touristing since 0600.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:34 PM

79 posts, read 91,963 times
Adding to this, how is transportation around there? Can I catch an Uber fairly easy? Like from the International airport into Taipei?

Thanks

Old 03-23-2018, 05:15 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs8808 View Post
Adding to this, how is transportation around there? Can I catch an Uber fairly easy? Like from the International airport into Taipei?

Thanks
No Uber in Taiwan any more. Was outlawed last year. Taxis are cheap and everywhere there. Very few taxi drivers speak English but just show them the address for your hotel on Google Map and you're good to go.Taxi to your hotel in downtown Taipei will cost about 1,200 Taiwan dollars -- less than $40 U.S.

Forgot to mention Ximending. You should definitely go there in the evening. High energy fun place with lots of interesting history in its back alleys. Safe at night, as is all of Taiwan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia