Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:41 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Are you talking about transvestites (guys that put a dress on) or do you mean transgenders (female-looking but were born as a boy)? Big difference you know.
All were born male...they would likely include persons from all stages of pre-op and post-op.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 12:25 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Personally I am not a fan of most Japanese dishes, because I like spicy food. However some of their soups are good.
The first time I ever made nigiri sushi, I didn't know how I was supposed to apply the wasabi (like strong horseradish) between the fish and the rice. As a result, I spread it on thick, like peanut butter sandwich thick.
I thought the purpose was to "glue" the fish to the rice.

One of my Japanese students who liked me very much asked if he could be the first to try "my" sushi. (He had not seen me make it.) Well, being a very kind and polite Japanese young man, after swallowing this hell, he merely held his hand to his mouth and sat still with shocked, tearing eyes and a pained expression for what seemed like a small eternity and I learned from then on that wasabi is best added very sparingly.

Gomen nasai, Eiki-san.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:07 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
One of my Japanese students who liked me very much asked if he could be the first to try "my" sushi.
Boy does he sound like one of those tinder nightmares.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:37 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
The first time I ever made nigiri sushi, I didn't know how I was supposed to apply the wasabi (like strong horseradish) between the fish and the rice. As a result, I spread it on thick, like peanut butter sandwich thick.

One of my Japanese students who liked me very much asked if he could be the first to try "my" sushi. (He had not seen me make it.) Well, being a very kind and polite Japanese young man, after swallowing this hell, he merely held his hand to his mouth and sat still with shocked, tearing eyes and a pained expression for what seemed like a small eternity and I learned from then on that wasabi is best added very sparingly.

Gomen nasai, Eiki-san.
thats funny. I went out on a date in college and never ate wasabi and just put a ton of wasabi on a sushi roll and literally had tears coming out but hopefully you had some beer to give him. beer and sushi are pretty much my favorite foods, Japanese and southern whiskey as well with sushi, a good cocktail and sushi is amazing.

What the green stuff we have in restaurants is not real wasabi, its horseradish and I think some sort of green dye. real wasabi is so expensive and much better than than horseradish burn. they actually have wasabi farms in north carolina and oregon . you grow it in creeks and very clean mountain water

wasabi farm western north carolina

Old 12-03-2016, 04:53 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:

Gomen nasai, Eiki-san.
You brought tears to my eyes reading that.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:45 PM

163 posts, read 130,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think what sticks out the most to me about Anthony Bourdain is that he once said thst he dislikes vegetarianism because he views it as being a product of cushy, first-world insulation from real world issues and problems.

Which is an odd thing for a celebrity chef, one of the most first-world of career pursuits, to say.

(yes, I am a vegetarian)
He is right about that point however. Being a vegetarian is a upper class first world thing. Poor people don't have that privilege to say no to eating meat, even in America. I understand being a vegetarian because you think it's the right thing, I admire that. However you really are missing out on a lot of truly incredibly tasty food. I'm sorry but animals just taste delicious.
People that ONLY eat meat are missing out the most though. Man there are so many amazing fruits and veggies that are delicious by themselves and also go really well with many meats and add to the flavor. Also we all know being a meatetarian is a great way to end up in a pine box at a young age.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:

Gomen nasai, Eiki-san.

I was first exposed to sushi as a junior in college, while visiting my wealthy college roommate and her family in San Diego. Her dad took us out to a local sushi place for lunch.

I thought the green wasabi was guacamole and remember thinking, "Well, that's a stingy amount for the whole dish! What kind of cheap place is this? And why did they take our other dorm mates to a great place like Olive Garden, while all I got was this raw fish stuff?"

So I promptly put ALL of it on one piece of sushi and downed the whole piece in two bites. Then, I quickly realized it wasn't guacamole as the burn rapidly set in. My entire head was on fire, nasal passages simultaneously cleared but dripping, and gasping and coughing, I drained all the water on the table.

Sushi. Good stuff. And now a staple in our family restaurant dinner rotation.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:13 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
I can understand Bourdain's stance when it comes to veganism which does seem quite pretentious to me and is definitely hard to accommodate - very first world in essence - and as far as I can tell is always for 'political reasons'. Vegetarianism not so much but again he may only be referring to those who choose to be vegetarian for 'political reasons'.

Sometimes vegetarianism is culturally derived or for religious reasons and/or whole groups of people in 3rd world countries have been forced to choose it because of limited meat availability. Vegetarianism is definitely not just first world. And vegetarians are usually quite flexible - vegans tend not to be at all - and I guess they might exist but I doubt there are too many 'tribes' outside of the western world who have deliberately chosen to be 'vegan' historically (though they may accidentally eat that way).

Bourdain loves meat. He is also a chef and used to trying to get the most umami out of the ingredients he uses - and that is more difficult when one is very limited in what one can use. And furthermore Bourdain has a 'schtick' that he uses to grab attention - it is his 'style' to be abrasive and/or controversial so I am sure many of his comments are just a part of that 'persona' he cultivates to remain different enough that he stands out in the huge crowd of tv chefs these days.

But moving on .. I might have also chosen Japan/Tokyo as the most fascinating food mecca years ago when I could eat a lot of soy and wasn't so enamoured of spicy foods - but these days, my tastes would probably lead me to other places ... like Thailand. One's tastes and restrictions do change over time. Bourdain may not feel the same in 20 years either.

As for why he didn't go to Venezuela .. I would not put that country first on my list either. I am a bit surprised he has not hit up Norway though because at least one of the best restaurants in the world is there - but then again, perhaps that has been overdone by others.

Last edited by Aery11; 12-04-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 12-04-2016, 10:56 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
I love Japanese everything for food, so I am not surprised he chose Tokyo as his favorite city to eat.

Regarding vegetarianism, many poor people are vegetarian, but not by choice. Meat is too expensive.

In Mexico, poor people's staple diet is beans, corn tortillas, corn, squash, chilies, tomatoes, avocado, and eggs. Maybe cheese once in awhile. Meat on very few occasions. I'm sure this happens in many countries.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:01 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I can understand Bourdain's stance when it comes to veganism which does seem quite pretentious to me and is definitely hard to accommodate - very first world in essence - and as far as I can tell is always for 'political reasons'. Vegetarianism not so much but again he may only be referring to those who choose to be vegetarian for 'political reasons'.

Sometimes vegetarianism is culturally derived or for religious reasons and/or whole groups of people in 3rd world countries have been forced to choose it because of limited meat availability. Vegetarianism is definitely not just first world. And vegetarians are usually quite flexible - vegans tend not to be at all - and I guess they might exist but I doubt there are too many 'tribes' outside of the western world who have deliberately chosen to be 'vegan' historically (though they may accidentally eat that way).

Bourdain loves meat. He is also a chef and used to trying to get the most umami out of the ingredients he uses - and that is more difficult when one is very limited in what one can use. And furthermore Bourdain has a 'schtick' that he uses to grab attention - it is his 'style' to be abrasive and/or controversial so I am sure many of his comments are just a part of that 'persona' he cultivates to remain different enough that he stands out in the huge crowd of tv chefs these days.

But moving on .. I might have also chosen Japan/Tokyo as the most fascinating food mecca years ago when I could eat a lot of soy and wasn't so enamoured of spicy foods - but these days, my tastes would probably lead me to other places ... like Thailand. One's tastes and restrictions do change over time. Bourdain may not feel the same in 20 years either.

As for why he didn't go to Venezuela .. I would not put that country first on my list either. I am a bit surprised he has not hit up Norway though because at least one of the best restaurants in the world is there - but then again, perhaps that has been overdone by others.
Japan actually occupied most of Thailand during World War Ii, and they are considered the most important trading partner. So there is a sushi stand at most Skytrain Stations and dozens up here in the North..too far from the sea for me, but if you get burned out on burning hot food, there is plenty of bland Japanese comfort food. Japanese university girls were the only ones ahead of the Thais in the sexiest school uniform competition, but I like it he pepper eating Thai ladies, and they're a lot easier on the wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia