U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,001,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
As for why he didn't go to Venezuela .. I would not put that country first on my list either. I am a bit surprised he has not hit up Norway though because at least one of the best restaurants in the world is there - but then again, perhaps that has been overdone by others.
He missed out on some good food. The Pabellón criollo is the national dish and the shredded beef is macerated in an acidic marinade. But the cachapa is my favorite of all Venezuelan dishes. The queso de mano is rubbery and when it becomes slightly softened in a warm pancake, the texture of the stringy cheese is heavenly.

Venezuela is one of the two key countries in Latin America (the other being México). Before the Chávez era, it was one of the most affluent countries in the region. Colombia and Ecuador share this regional cuisine (like the arepa) and have unique national variations, but Venezuela is the standard that northern South American cuisine is measured. (Colombia's national dish, Bandeja paisa, is comparatively more onerous with the amount of ingredients but very greasy with the chicharrón and Morcilla sausage.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:57 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,452,167 times
Quote:
Anthony Bourdain explains why, even after touring 80 countries, his favorite destination will always be Japan (best, life)
He said much the same about Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore and Philippines. He just loved Asia and I think his favorite place was wherever he had just came from. I think those 4 though along with Japan made the biggest mark on him. I think this is in large part because Asians in general are very family orientated, strong sense of history/culture and the best food is very down to earth "street food". All 3 of those things are major themes in is his shows and what he truly concentrated on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia