U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
A few years ago, I was lamenting the fact that a lot of urban Chinese are celebrating westerns holidays such as Christmas, Halloween or Valentino's Day, while forgetting their own traditional festivals that trace back to 2000 years ago.

This year, I am shocked to find many Chinese now even celebrating American thanksgiving as if it meant anything to them. I am embarrassed and annoyed. Thanksgiving is a very north American thing (America and Canada), related to the Europeans relationship (aka: thanks and then mass murder) with the NA native people, why the hell are a bunch of Chinese celebrating it and say "happy thanksgiving to each other"? They are completely nuts?

Are there other Asian countries where people start to celebrate American thanksgivings?
Many?? I have no idea what you're talking about... I'm here in China, and I haven't seen a single Thanksgiving decoration or heard a single Chinese person talk about Thanksgiving this year, or last year, or the year before that, even though as a Western expat most of my Chinese friends are more interested in Western traditions and holidays than the average Chinese person.

Christmas in China is like Chinese New Year in America. Some (very few) urban Chinese people buy some Santa Claus and Rudolph figurines and wall hangings, not having any idea what the hell a reindeer is, and say "MEARI CARISMIS!" and give eachother gifts... but don't worry, and then a month later they go and do the Spring Festival thing, take part in the world's largest mass migration, and hand out a hundreds of red envelopes to peripheral family members whose names they don't remember. Americans who "celebrate" Chinese New Year generally do so by going to Chinatown and watching dragon dances and firecrackers going off, then eat Chinese-American food and read their fortune cookies.

Thanksgiving in China is like the Tomb Sweeping Festival in America or Canada: no one has any idea what it is, except for people who have gone out of their way to study the culture. And even if they know of it, that doesn't mean they're going to celebrate it.

Chinese people don't like turkey? They don't know what turkey is. You have to go to an import store that sells American deli meat to get it, or place an order with an American/Canadian restaurant to eat a specially-imported, $100-200 turkey for Thanksgiving. The Chinese people I know who have tried it think it's pretty good, since it's 70-80% like chicken, which Chinese people love.

I know you have a monster chip on your shoulder about America and Canada, even though it seems like aside from angst, your life in the West is pretty much alright... it's just sad, man. If you actually lived in China, or spent any meaningful degree of time here, you'd know that this is about as far from a pervasive issue as it gets. Where did you even hear about this?? Lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 10:14 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
You should probably post more at Chinese circlejerk sites like tianya or baidu. I'm sure you'd find plenty of comrades who share the same anti-Thanksgiving and anti-Christmas views as you do. This is a bit hard to watch.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:01 PM

14,724 posts, read 10,613,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This ignores the fact that millions of Irish immigrated to the U.S. The celebration and parade dates back to the 18th century in NYC......
Maybe! But our ancestors came from another continent and few to no Irish settled where we grew up but we still put on green clothes and eat corned beef & cabbage.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:53 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,247 times
Why is OP embarrassed and annoyed by actions of complete strangers? There's nothing remotely embarrassing or annoying about having Thanksgiving turkey, it's not like OP paid for their Thanksgiving dinner! Why does anyone need to judge if they like turkey or not? Or if they have an "American" connection or not?

I celebrate Christmas because it does mean something for me. I celebrate Valentine's because I have a date! I celebrate Halloween because I want to wear a costume. I drunk beer with friends in celebration of St. Patrick's Day or Oktoberfest, even if none of us had any Irish or German connection. The owner of the pub is happy, my friends and I are happy. Why the heck would we stop doing what we want to do just because someone halfway around the world is ranting about it in C-D?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:07 AM

900 posts, read 630,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nah, that's crazy. If it's an affront for Chinese in China to celebrate Thanksgiving, then how in the world can he stand being an Asian in France with an Italian screenname writing English on a US-based website? That's just too many crossing of streams there, buddy.
I know, but I am just stating the facts based on quotes in C-D!

Old 12-11-2016, 09:29 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Earlier today, my wife was talking with an agent we're going through to get the license for our new shop. He asked when we needed the permit by. She told him "before Christmas." He looked confused and asked if that was before or after the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year).

Made me think of this thread... hahahaha.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,874,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post

What would trouble me more is the prevalence of Chinese mainlander's embrace of the Western Christmas holiday, replete with tree, ornaments, presents, parties etc. For me, this is more troubling in an officially non-religious country that seems to encourage the celebration of an American/Western holiday steeped in deep religious Christian foundations. Granted, like elsewhere in the world, this celebration seems to become more and more commercialized globally with each year, to such an extent that the original religious groundings have been stripped for many other than the faithful.
You do realise that Christmas and it's traditions have roots much older than Christianity right? Christmas is a pagan holiday for sun worship that was christianised in the 3rd century. It is neither exclusively American nor christian.

I think that if people want to enjoy a day of celebration and use it to inspire them to be kind to one another, to share a meal, to enjoy family or whatever. Then why should anyone judge them? Who cares who thought of it first.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 3,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
let me tell you why

because these people have no idea what Thanksgiving is about, and have in interest in what it is about; I will give them a lot of credit if they try to learn something but they don't. they don't even celebrate their own traditional holidays in China before going after American thanksgiving. The reason they celebrate Thanksgiving is because it is an American thing and doing so makes them feel "westernized".

yes, it is just embarassing.
Yeah, Sometime they even dont know what thanksgiving is? They just make them feel "westernized"

Old 12-13-2016, 11:35 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nah, that's crazy. If it's an affront for Chinese in China to celebrate Thanksgiving, then how in the world can he stand being an Asian in France with an Italian screenname writing English on a US-based website? That's just too many crossing of streams there, buddy.
haha, that is pretty funny, the way you make it to be And I also have a spanish girlfriend

Old 12-13-2016, 11:39 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Earlier today, my wife was talking with an agent we're going through to get the license for our new shop. He asked when we needed the permit by. She told him "before Christmas." He looked confused and asked if that was before or after the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year).

Made me think of this thread... hahahaha.
The agent can't be younger than 40. My parents wouldn't know when is Christmas either.
But in large cities, I am sure at least 90% of people under 40 years old would know. In Shanghai, close to 100%.

My repulsion was not because they celebrate Thanksgiving, but rather the fact when it comes to traditional Chinese holidays with deep cultural or historical meaning, they are clueless and uninterested. This "the moon is brighter in the western world" is just despicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or