U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:09 AM

128 posts, read 110,986 times

Advertisements

What differentiates them from the other in your opinion and experience? please tell me? would love to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 03:45 AM

6,782 posts, read 5,142,063 times
Korea: extremely pushy
Japan: the exact opposite

Old 12-21-2016, 10:56 AM

1,839 posts, read 1,262,834 times
Language is probably the most obvious thing is language and the belief that they are different peoples (not to say they aren't). In some ways, I compare the two to Canada and the Deep South; Japanese people seem more reserved and uninterested whole more polite and Korean people seem friendlier and caring but also with less consideration for being polite.

This is partly the result of the above, but Korean people generally do less to hide their true emotions towards others while Japanese people will nearly always be polite and just be "rude" when a person isn't around if they dislike that someone.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:18 AM

451 posts, read 1,082,217 times
I will agree with all the prior posts. I will add the Japanese tend to not show their true emotions as much, while Koreans will not be shy about showing their emotions. I also think Japanese are more reserved and less expressive than Koreans. Of course, this is just an overly broad generalization. My wife is Korean-American (while, I am Taiwanese-American). My father-in-law, may have more the stereotypical Japanese character of being more reserved, calm and not showing much emotions or expression. While my mother-in-law is a bit more expressive. But then, that could also come down to a male vs. female character.

Also, there seems to be more Christians among Koreans than the Japanese. And there are differences in the food.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:14 PM

12,664 posts, read 15,110,104 times
I'd agree with the above. Koreans generally are not afraid to get angry in public (such as when driving in traffic), you would not see that with the Japanese.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:08 AM

47 posts, read 26,597 times
it is a popular joke in China's forums: the attitudes to ancient chinese culture, japanese will think that oh, it is a chinese ancient culture,so wonderful. however, the south korean will think we should tell.the world we own that culture because we korean do that too. that must origins from korean

Old 02-12-2017, 01:40 AM

55 posts, read 33,219 times
South Korea has more cultural influences from China than Japan.

They may not admit it but it is true.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 9,894 times
I'd say compared to the Chinese, both the Koreans and the Japanese will seem more reserved and polite. But between the Koreans and the Japanese, the Koreans will definitely come across as being more pushy and forward. But it really depends on the context in which you meet these Koreans; overseas Koreans that live in majority-white areas tend to be more quiet and reserved, whereas the K-town Koreans tend to be loud and rude.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,292,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon413 View Post
I'd say compared to the Chinese, both the Koreans and the Japanese will seem more reserved and polite. But between the Koreans and the Japanese, the Koreans will definitely come across as being more pushy and forward. But it really depends on the context in which you meet these Koreans; overseas Koreans that live in majority-white areas tend to be more quiet and reserved, whereas the K-town Koreans tend to be loud and rude.
True.

Keep in mind of the wealth difference.

Koreans were a lot ruder and less civilized 20 years ago. Now they act a lot more polite than before. Japan has been a rich country for a much longer time and it shows in their etiquettes.

China is really big with huge regional and generational difference because the society changes much more rapidly than Korea or Japan, so wealthier and younger people are a lot better behaved than others. That's not what the OP asks, but it shows why Koreans seem a bit more pushy than the Japanese - they are probably just on the way of being more like the Japanese.

Of course the Japanese are like a special species among human beings. So polite, reserved, quiet and well-behaved. If you go to the childrens hospital, you hardly hear much crying or noise, unlike in a typical place like that. They simply learned not to show much personal emotion. It is good and bad. But it is a very high context culture, often they might not be saying anything or even are smiling, but are sending signals that they are not happy. Westerners outside the culture may not detect it.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:18 PM

6,731 posts, read 6,625,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmodeb View Post
South Korea has more cultural influences from China than Japan.

They may not admit it but it is true.
Yes.
However Japanese children still learn Chinese ancient poems in school, but Koreans don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or