Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:11 AM

280 posts, read 339,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
that's not surprising. Chinese in the Philippines for years have their own schools and yet could not retain what they learned. its only lately, when China is becoming rich that they are trying to learn harder so that they could speak and write Mandarin. don't know if its effective because, still the most important part of learning is environment. once you go out from your school or home, you still interact with the outside world most of the time.

so how much more if you just go after school? and thats not even everyday?
Same deal as with Vietnam, my parent's generation were all educated in Chinese, Vietnamese was only learnt via social interactions with the wider community. During the early 70s, it was outlawed, similar to Thailand, so people like my aunty (born in 68) pretty much all have no understanding of written Chinese. It is only now that China has morphed into an economic might that people have started to re-learn the language or its basically become more widespread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 01:04 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
My wife who grew up and was educated in Singapore in the 60's was never taught to read or write in Chinese. She attended a British modeled school and learned to speak,read and write in English. Some of her brothers and sisters went to other schools and spoke only Cantonese and learned Chinese reading and writing. To this day some of them still only speak Cantonese with a little bit of English learned on the street. My wife is fluent in English, Cantonese, Hokkien and also has a more limited command of Mandarin and Malay.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:00 PM

280 posts, read 339,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
My wife who grew up and was educated in Singapore in the 60's was never taught to read or write in Chinese. She attended a British modeled school and learned to speak,read and write in English. Some of her brothers and sisters went to other schools and spoke only Cantonese and learned Chinese reading and writing. To this day some of them still only speak Cantonese with a little bit of English learned on the street. My wife is fluent in English, Cantonese, Hokkien and also has a more limited command of Mandarin and Malay.
Hong Kong and Singapore have always attached English with an elitist society or at least upper class society of respective territories as the British had long ruled over them. Anyone who could afford an English education was truly an elite of society, especially in the 60s!! I guess these days it's replaced with a full overseas education rather than local.

In Korea and to some extent Taiwan, this was the Japanese language. Many older Korean businessman are fluent in Japanese, same with Taiwanese and also some ex-presidents.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Huh? What's "Folklore"? Do you really mean "dialect"?

There is no correct spelling for the "Folklore", since the people who speak it are in the forever voliatility. It is not even a speech. Stay away from the people who speak that art.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,723 times
People going to Asia including HK should try to learn the language more to avoid discrimination and have a better cv when applying to jobs. Being only English speaking is becoming less wanted in Asias job markets.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
My wife who is Chinese was born in Malaysia and later moved to Singapore where she obtained the majority of her education in the 1960’s. She attended local schools which followed the then current British curriculum with all reading and writing in English.

She cannot read or write in Chinese. Some of her brothers and sisters went to Chinese schools and only read and wrote in Chinese. In addition to English and Cantonese she can speak Malay, Mandarin, Hakka and Teochew all of which she just picked up on the street interacting with other dialect groups.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:03 PM

1,136 posts, read 525,723 times
I appreciate this singer's effort.

She for sure now has a better understanding of what people are saying and the cultures than those zero Chinese language people. Misunderstanding is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia