U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 01:43 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This is obviously just stupid trolling, but no, this expensive, high-class, "authentic" Cantonese in Guangzhou is noticeably greasier than KFC, the bottom-tier of Western cuisine. Nice try!! Lol.
there is no such thing as "western cuisine". North America for example, does not even have a cuisine. You can't hardly put togther 10 dishes together to feed the guest in the US or Canada without resorting to foreign originated food. England and Germany and all the Scandinavian countries, not so much either. At least not something that is worth mentioning.

French, Italian, or Spanish food are French, Italian and Spanish. They are not "Western".

And KFC is typical American food.

And what's wrong with being "noticeable greasier"? People know how to cook, surprise! Maybe you are happy with eating raw celery as if that is food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 02:04 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,614,442 times
One mistake some Americans make on Chinese food is that they eat everything in the dish. In fact, the sauce/gravy is supposed to be dumped after you eat the meat and vegetables (no need to eat all the vegetables either).
If you eat everything, you consume too much sodium and fat.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
One mistake some Americans make on Chinese food is that they eat everything in the dish. In fact, the sauce/gravy is supposed to be dumped after you eat the meat and vegetables (no need to eat all the vegetables either).
haha

imagine eat it all

Old 01-14-2017, 03:51 AM

9,782 posts, read 13,368,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
there is no such thing as "western cuisine". North America for example, does not even have a cuisine. You can't hardly put togther 10 dishes together to feed the guest in the US or Canada without resorting to foreign originated food. England and Germany and all the Scandinavian countries, not so much either. At least not something that is worth mentioning.

French, Italian, or Spanish food are French, Italian and Spanish. They are not "Western".
You say this often enough, and it's another example of your simple and completely incorrect understanding of cuisine. You also love saying that there's no such thing as "Asian" food, and love to remind people of that, even though, yes, there is such thing as Asian food.

Asian food:

1) comes from Asia
2) uses ingredients from Asia
3) uses cooking and preparation methods that are shared or extremely similar amongst other Asian cultures

Western food:

1) comes from the West
2) uses ingredients from the West
3) uses cooking and preparation methods that are shared or extremely similar amongst other Western cultures

For instance, cheese, as we know it, is Western. There are regional variations and uses that originate from different Western nations - France, England, the US, Italy, etc - but they all fall under the general, Western blanket.

Quote:
And KFC is typical American food.
It's typical American fast food, yes. Not many people would deny that. It's typical Chinese fast food, too.

Quote:
And what's wrong with being "noticeable greasier"? People know how to cook, surprise! Maybe you are happy with eating raw celery as if that is food?
I'm a chef, I own a restaurant and bar... it's not only my livelihood, but it's also one of my greatest hobbies and loves. I know how to cook, surprise!

What's wrong with being "noticeably greasier?" Health issues aside, it tastes bad. The texture is soggy and goopy. It's unpleasant. Those noodles, for example, had a bitter, chalky taste from the subpar "blended" (garbage) oil that they were saturated in which overpowered the extremely-light dusting of soy sauce and green onions that failed to be mixed into the center. The outer parts disintegrated when poked with a chopstick, and the inner mass was impermeable and congealed.

But, you know all this; if we were talking about Western food, you would dump all over it for being greasy and nasty, but because it's from your ancestral homeland, it's defensible and anyone who doesn't like it is just stupid and doesn't get it.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
haha

imagine eat it all
I've done it, to prove that it can be done. Those peppers aren't that hot. The oil will give you a nasty case of diarrhea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish
It's just unfamiliar prep/serving methods. Like giving a Chinese person a burrito: more often than not, they will sit there and look at it in confusion, before opening it up, eating the fillings with a fork and spoon and leaving the tortilla on the plate... or eating pizza or burgers with forks, knives, and plastic gloves...

I think if more Chinese restaurants specifically noted or explained upon serving that you're only supposed to eat the meat/noodles/starchy veggies in the soup and leave the broth and peppers, onions, garlic, etc, then more Westerners would have an appreciation for it. I've had to instruct countless people on how to eat Western food before and just take it as part of the experience being a Western chef and restaurateur in China. Instead, sadly, it seems that generally, people just serve the food and expect people to understand how to eat it with no cultural background whatsoever, and think that they're dumb when they don't do it the "right" way.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:24 AM

569 posts, read 373,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I am a sucker for dim sum, but have to limit my intake due to very high fat and sodium content. Dim sum chefs have a knack for adding lard, pork fats or oil are in almost anything. Even the steamed rice noodle roll (cheong fun) might have lard added in! Dim sum, literally "a bit of heart", might have gotten its name from slowly blocking one's arteries and making its diners' hearts beat faster (i.e., become hypertensive from all the fats and sodium). Really, anyone who says Cantonese fare (whether "authentic" from Guangzhou or Hong Kong, or Americanized from San Francisco or other Chinatowns) is not greasy has not eaten enough of it.
As the dim sums though, some resturants would apply a film of the more greases than the others: It depends.

One thing I've noticed was that the more high-end the resturants were, the less greaser.

A'm not saying anything. It depends on the tastes.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:29 AM

It was like what I said, the Chinese food shall be eaten with a lot of the steamming white rices. Or at least you eat them with the breads of your choices.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
The last sentence proves you only know Americanized Chinese food, which is usually greasy. Cantonese food is known to be plain.

And Guangdong style fried noodles don't exist in Guandgong. Sour and spicy soup is a Sichuan dish. What you get in America is unique and doesn't exist anywhere else including China.
Well, from what I've known: I went to H.K. and Guangzhou. And you weren't wrong on this reply. The Guang-Style Cuisines had ceased to exsit there. However, I was pretty sure on the Hong Kong food and their origins. Guess what: I lived around.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Western food:

1) comes from the West
2) uses ingredients from the West
3) uses cooking and preparation methods that are shared or extremely similar amongst other Western cultures
Asia exists. The "West" doesn't exist. It is more of a political concept. Has little to do with cuisine.

If I think of western food, I refer to European. I won't put "the US" as part of it as there is no such thing as US food and please don't mix in among countries with long and rich history of cuisine as if they are equals.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Asia exists. The "West" doesn't exist. It is more of a political concept. Has little to do with cuisine.
"Asia" exists as a political concept, as well. What do Saudi Arabia, India, and Japan have in common geographically, culturally, historically, politically...? You just feel more of kinship towards one of these geopolitical designations than the other because you view your cultural heritage as being at the top of the roost of that one.

Quote:
If I think of western food, I refer to European. I won't put "the US" as part of it as there is no such thing as US food and please don't mix in among countries with long and rich history of cuisine as if they are equals.
So, you do understand "the West" or "Western" conceptually, you simply choose to be obtuse because of your personal misgivings towards North America.

Say what you want about (North) America's total lack of culture... funny how the same people who will blabber against it will lash out at it for encroaching upon various other world cultures. It doesn't exist until it gives you a reason to be upset and cop a feeling of superiority.

Back to food... even if you decide to define Western food as Europrean food, the simple fact of the matter is that the demographics and culture of the Americas are comprised primarily of the descendants of European immigrants. Guess where their culinary traditions come from? Chinese immigrants to the US generally retain their culinary preferences and methods; why should it have been any different for European immigrants or their progeny? Why is it any less virtuous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or