Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:45 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
sounds like you are completely ignorant of anything about China

Cantonese food is only popular among cantonese people, whose culture is generally considered inferior compared to other chinese regions
Oh lord.... Just stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Oh lord.... Just stop.
Cantonese region was considered inferior back on the old days, so much so that it was a destination for prisoners like Austria for Britain, while the Chinese culture was centered around central China (Henan, Shaanxi etc) but it is not like that any more, economically and culturally. Shenzhen and Guangzhou are two of the most powerful cities in the country. It was primarily because since then China opened to the world and Guangdong has long coast lines.

Guangdong also has strong local culture, including food. But like I said, it is just one of the dozen in China. It doesn't really "standing out" like many westerners think it does. Cantonese is nothing but a local dialect in China with very little influence outside the province itself.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Perhaps but it will be less and less special in the Chinese context. That's for certain. Today Chinese people care about HK as much as Americans care about Delaware.

Probably Cantonese will be fading with it as well.

And the food? The influence is extremely limited. probably 10% of Sichuan cuisine.
Chinese care way more about HK than Americans do about Delaware. For such a small place, HK has an unusually strong cultural presence--though it sometimes gets exaggerated, of course. I think you know this, but something compels you to say otherwise.

In regards to food, maybe you just don't pay attention and don't know much. That's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
BTW Sichuan cuisine is increasingly popular in America in recent years, mainly due to more immigrants from mainland China especially the young students who love spicy food.

There is a new 老四川 restaurant in Burlington, MA and is always packed. It used to be an Americanized Cantonese restaurant, but it has become much more popular since it changed to a Sichuan restaurant. Interestingly, I always see some Indian people there too, sometimes a big family. It seems Indian people like Sichuan cuisine too.

In Arlington, MA there is a hotpot restaurant. I always see white Americans there (actually most customers there are white Americans).
A lot of different regional Chinese cuisines are having a growth of popularity in major US cities these days. I'm seeing authentic Sichuan more often and Hunan cuisine as well along with several less notable ones.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:28 PM

569 posts, read 551,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
Does anyone personally know if there are any differences between Guangzhou and Hong Kong cuisines and the preparation differences?

Or maybe the only difference is Hong Kong having more westernized cuisine styles than Guangzhou?

A long time ago, the people would generalize them both as the Guang-Style cuisines. Their most distinct features from the other Northern Areas are the complexities in the indegrents. Let me give you an example, the Guangzhou Frying Noodles have the varied indegrents: shell fishes, the chicken meats, or sometimes the claws etc.. Now the Peking Duck is the different story.

Later, the H. Kong Styles ........ mmm they are more like the multi-cultures cuisines. For example: the Kg-Style sour and spicy soup would have eggs, the red peppers, tofus, and the all sorts of the spices. Afterall, H.K. was the Crown's refugee camp. The Guang-Style soup would be simpler.

But they were both from the same origin, so they were oily and greasy.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
A long time ago, the people would generalize them both as the Guang-Style cuisines. Their most distinct features from the other Northern Areas are the complexities in the indegrents. Let me give you an example, the Guangzhou Frying Noodles have the varied indegrents: shell fishes, the chicken meats, or sometimes the claws etc.. Now the Peking Duck is the different story.

Later, the H. Kong Styles ........ mmm they are more like the multi-cultures cuisines. For example: the Kg-Style sour and spicy soup would have eggs, the red peppers, tofus, and the all sorts of the spices. Afterall, H.K. was the Crown's refugee camp. The Guang-Style soup would be simpler.

But they were both from the same origin, so they were oily and greasy.
The last sentence proves you only know Americanized Chinese food, which is usually greasy. Cantonese food is known to be plain.

And Guangdong style fried noodles don't exist in Guandgong. Sour and spicy soup is a Sichuan dish. What you get in America is unique and doesn't exist anywhere else including China.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The last sentence proves you only know Americanized Chinese food, which is usually greasy. Cantonese food is known to be plain.

And Guangdong style fried noodles don't exist in Guandgong. Sour and spicy soup is a Sichuan dish. What you get in America is unique and doesn't exist anywhere else including China.
Dude... Cantonese food in GZ is well-known to be greasy. I'm literally at a restaurant right now and have a plate of slimy noodles in front of me, and my wife is complaining of how greasy everything is. We had this exchange before.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,206 times
why do ignorant people keep stating the false arguments? Cantonese food is not greasy at all. You are eating fake Chinese food in those western "chinese" restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Dude... Cantonese food in GZ is well-known to be greasy. I'm literally at a restaurant right now and have a plate of slimy noodles in front of me, and my wife is complaining of how greasy everything is. We had this exchange before.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
why do ignorant people keep stating the false arguments?
Werd. I wish you guys would stop.

Quote:
Cantonese food is not greasy at all. You are eating fake Chinese food in those western "chinese" restaurants
Is there a proliferation of disgusting, evil, subpar "Western" Chinese restaurants in China's third largest city that I wasn't aware of, or something?

Okay. I'm going to make this extremely clear, so that you retain it:

Now then...

A few nights ago, my wife and I went to one of the most popular, upscale Cantonese restaurants in Guangzhou, around the corner from our home - this is the restaurant I mentioned in the post above. The driveway is always filled with Bentleys, Ferraris, Maseratis, and Alphard, Sprinter, or imported GMC/Chevy luxury vans. Considering that this place is filled, night after night, with Cantonese people of means, who could easily go to whatever Cantonese restaurant in the seat of Cantonese culture that they felt so inclined to visit, I think it's safe to say that this place would fit the "authentic" label.

This was our view of the interior. The place is palatial; this wing is maybe 1/6th of the interior.

My wife ordered these potato and pork fritters. They were so greasy that if you gently poked one with your chopstick, grease would ooze out before being reabsorbed. Because they were so saturated with grease, they fell apart when you applied any force in picking them up.

This is the chicken my wife ordered. Presentation and portion size was subpar, especially considering it was about 50RMB. Very greasy; the batter wasn't crispy because of the saturation with grease.

Stewed lotus root. Though this was not "greasy," they used the same low-quality oil that gave it a bitter, chalky taste.

These are the fried flat noodles I ordered. Now, by definition, these should be at least a little greasy. However...

Ugh. Look at all that grease. To make matters worse, they were fried unevenly, so that in the center of that congealed mound, there were noodles that were dry and untouched by the sauce. They just tasted like grease, which is unsurprising, considering how much grease that paper has wicked off.

It's amazing the wood under it didn't turn clear. Reminded me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer's trying to get fat and questions whether his burger is greasy enough...

The meal was absolutely repulsive, but I took pictures because we were having this conversation here on C-D.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:54 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
^Really? I think it looks quite nice lol, I like flat noodles.

The restaurant looks so smoggy though. Were people smoking there or the infamous Chinese smog got into the interior? ��

Old 01-12-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^Really? I think it looks quite nice lol, I like flat noodles.

The restaurant looks so smoggy though. Were people smoking there or the infamous Chinese smog got into the interior? ��
Nah, my phone's camera lens is damaged...

I like flat noodles, too. These were just awful, though, due to the excessive levels of grease... unfortunately, the photos don't capture the bitter, chalky taste of crap-quality oil and lack of other flavors. Some people are fine with that... I'm mainly just pointing out the absurdity of the statement that Cantonese food, widely known to be greasy, is not greasy, simply because it's not "Western."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia