U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 03:37 PM

196 posts, read 133,871 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Guangzhou still has any schools that have classes taught in Cantonese?

I know that Mandarin is being promoted to have everyone know how to speak it fluently.

So I am just wondering if there are still Cantonese classes in Guangzhou schools or either they were completely removed from them educational institutions entirely?

I just want to see if anyone knows.

I also remember reading about how the Guangzhou government wanted to ban most of Cantonese television programming and there were now only a few channels that still have Cantonese programmings. I heard that the regulation was repealed later on or something like that.

Does anyone know if there is still a lot of Cantonese television programmings or is there almost none now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 04:14 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
In mainland China, schools are "supposed to" teach in standard Mandarin Chinese only. However, in most places it is not strictly followed.
Nowadays Guangdong has a lot of migrant workers, and their children may not understand Cantonese. So I supp the schools are increasingly using Mandarin.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Basically all schools use Mandarin for instruction, though there are still kids who speak Cantonese as their first language, so you will hear Cantonese being spoken by kids in class and on the playground, or by teachers who are trying to explain something the kids don't understand in Mandarin.

I can't recall hearing Cantonese on TV here but admittedly, I don't really watch any TV, even in English. The TV adverts on the Metro are all in Mandarin, but the announcements are in Mandarin, Cantonese, and English. There are Cantonese radio stations, and some music channels that broadcast in Mandarin will still play Cantonese music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or