Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:47 PM

24,205 posts, read 24,640,229 times

Advertisements

What's so great with that anime manga pedophile schoolgirl tentacle robot crap? Is it popular only because it's different? Never understood that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 03:42 PM

4,788 posts, read 2,765,630 times
Default There is some outstanding work there

I'm thinking Akira (anime), Ghost in the shell (various anime & manga), the Metropolis remake, most of Miyazaki's output. Yah, there's an enormous variety of output - manga, anime, from very fluid, dreamlike flying sequences to hard-edged combat, & romance & ... you name it, basically. The only thing I would say to parents of younger children - look @ the boxes for ratings before you turn the kids loose on content - the combat sequences, for instance, can be very bloody.

Surprising, but Japan is a different country, & a country brought up on samurai epics has a different sensibility to blood 'n' guts.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:47 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,762,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Karma, ne?

Ha. Besides the Burakamin, there are Ainu in northern Japan (almost never mentioned), & the survivors & descendants of the Koreans & other nationalities (from Japan's 1920s, 1930s, WWII adventures in Asia & nearby). The Koreans are interesting - they're fluent in Japanese, culturally they can fit in. But the Japanese marriage brokers - charged with preserving Japanese bloodlines - can't or won't arrange Japanese-Korean marriages.

& the Japanese workforce won't even accept Japanese women into permanent slots leading to management. PM Shinto has been trying - ever since he saw the stats on Japanese employment participation. Japan is losing workforce, they're not reproducing generally - & a large, educated, healthy workforce of women sits @ home. Of course, the Conservative Party traditionally held back on allowing women to enter the workforce permanently.

I like Japanese graphic work, animation, movies. Their social day-to-day strikes me (as a US citizen) as far too controlling, & requiring a degree of self-abnegation that I would find extremely trying. Of course, Japan suffered a lot of violence (social & otherwise) once upon a time. Perhaps that is the answer to the riddle.
My friend's husband is Japanese and he hates Koreans with a passion. He doesnt like female leaders either. Well, they moved to the US and guess who his boss is?

A Korean female.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:09 PM
F18

542 posts, read 524,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
My friend's husband is Japanese and he hates Koreans with a passion. He doesnt like female leaders either. Well, they moved to the US and guess who his boss is?

A Korean female.
Lol such irony!

Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,762,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Lol such irony!
Isn't it? Life works in such mysterious ways.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:48 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,811,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Isn't it? Life works in such mysterious ways.
Like attracts like. It starts out as a thought first.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:51 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,334,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What's so great with that anime manga pedophile schoolgirl tentacle robot crap? Is it popular only because it's different? Never understood that.
Don't be so arbitrary. Most of them don't concern pedophile or robots.

Honestly if you ever go to Asia as a tourist, Japan would be the least on-your-face country of all, apart from city-states like Singapore and HK.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:20 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I was just curious, it is one of the most successful Democracies in the planet. I'm not at all impressed if there was such a policy. But I wonder, if part of the reason why they are so successful is that it seems they ban immigration by race, especially if you're not White (even you are White, it seems, based on what I can see in the population), that immigration isn't going to open you with open arms, but at least they seemingly will not say "Hell no." as quickly.
This isn't meant to be an anti diversity post at all, but frankly, when everyone is the same race, the chances of social ills is less, since you don't have as much of a chance to divide people and cause conflict.
Throughout almost ALL of Asia/Middle East, they discourage immigrants of all colors. Not ban, but it is near impossible.

It is almost impossible to emigrate to Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Vietnam, you name it.

I always find it interesting that people are surprised with Japan, but never question the other 50+ countries in Asia that also don't have an immigration policy.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:32 AM

12,267 posts, read 7,972,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Throughout almost ALL of Asia/Middle East, they discourage immigrants of all colors. Not ban, but it is near impossible.

It is almost impossible to emigrate to Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Vietnam, you name it.

I always find it interesting that people are surprised with Japan, but never question the other 50+ countries in Asia that also don't have an immigration policy.
That is because Japan was welcomed into the so called First World and the rest of Asia was not.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 AM

569 posts, read 546,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I was just curious, it is one of the most successful Democracies in the planet. I'm not at all impressed if there was such a policy. But I wonder, if part of the reason why they are so successful is that it seems they ban immigration by race, especially if you're not White (even you are White, it seems, based on what I can see in the population), that immigration isn't going to open you with open arms, but at least they seemingly will not say "Hell no." as quickly.
This isn't meant to be an anti diversity post at all, but frankly, when everyone is the same race, the chances of social ills is less, since you don't have as much of a chance to divide people and cause conflict.
Nobody wants the troublemakers.

Some would sort the troublemakers by the education lvls, some by the ethics, and some would even throw away the some applicatons with the certain nations' names on them.

Last edited by CPPU12345; 01-11-2017 at 01:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia